Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

32gb sdhc showing up as 1.8gb when in camera

Options
  • 06-05-2019 7:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    sandisk 32gb class 10 confirmed as 32gb(29GB) when in PC but inserted into camera and presto its 1.8gb when camera connected to PC.
    cannot figure it out!
    showing capacity of 2K for raw pics(is that about right for a 32gb card?)
    camera sony alpha a230.
    any help appreciated
    thanks
    John

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Format the card

• Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Format the card

done and double done

sugarman wrote: »
    Could it be a fake? Where did you get it?

amazon uk
    sandisk

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,466 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

can you try to copy 2GB or more of data to it when it's in the computer to confirm there's more than the 1.8GB there?
    also, is this the only card it's happening with?

re the stated capacity for 2000 raw shots - that sounds about right, 2000 shots at 15MB each is about 30GB.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

seanin4711 wrote: »
    amazon uk
    sandisk

Check who the buyer was. What is their volume of sales like? Definitely sounds fake. I've seen ones that even show up as 32gb but when you run a program to check them you find the actual space is about 3 gig.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Heebie

If the camera is an older model, the SD card night not be compatible.
    My point & shoot digital can't use a 4gb card I have because it doesn't know how to deal with SDHC, for example.
    It works fine with my older 4GB SD cards.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,915 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Could be a dodgy card specs saying it should accept that card size no problems

https://www.sony-africa.com/support/resources/pt_AT/html/Compatibility/SDCard/alpha.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Heebie wrote: »
    If the camera is an older model, the SD card night not be compatible.

The support matrix says his is compatible despite its vintage. Test another camera to be sure but normally if they understand 32GB the brand doesnt matter.

Wouldnt be surprised if it was fake OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Adrian.Sadlier

The camera is listed as supporting SDHC cards so it should work. If the card isn't faulty/fake is it possible the camera firmware is not the latest version?

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭specky4eyes

Format the card in a computer/laptop and see what capacity shows up. Check to see if the card is partitioned.

PS, if you've already done that sounds like a fake.

Try this:

1. Open run cmd(Win+R) and type 'diskpart', Enter
    2. Type 'list disk', Enter
    3. Type 'select disk #', Enter (to select a disk, where # is the number of the disk Windows screw-balled. Usually, the device is disk 1, but it's always best to make sure.)
    4. Type 'select partition 1', Enter
    5. Type 'delete partition', Enter
    6. Type 'partition', Enter
    7. Type 'clean', Enter:
    8. Type 'create partition primary', Enter
    9. Type 'format', Enter, this will format your drive

• Advertisement

thanks for the info.
    i feel the card is legit but inserted into camera and when to pc HD is showing 1.8gb.
    I remove card and insert into card reader and shows up as 29.9gb(32gb) as normal.
    thanks for replies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

Does your camera have 'in-built' storage ?
    Cameras used to have this to display them in the shop (not sure if they still do..) but 1.8gb sounds quite big for that purpose. Might have though for more modern cameras that have video and RAW capabilities. If it does then turn it off.

Option two is to try a different card in a different size and see what that's reading.

If it's still reading the same I'd try updating the camera software.

Advertisement