Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How long has your Smartphone lasted

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Basil3 wrote: »
    I love how threads like this bring all the people out of the woodwork who are proud of how old their phones are.

My current phone is 2 days old. Usually get a new device at least once a year. Always look after my phones and sell them on when buying another.

2 days old? What's wrong with you?
    What was wrong with your old phone?
    Why didn't you get a second hand one?

How dare you spend your money how you see fit.

spook_cook wrote: »
    "How old is your phone" thread... people stating how old their phones are... "HA! I KNEW IT!"

That's not what I said, try again.

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭tim3000

I had a Samsung J3 bought in May 2016 only changed it in June of this year, approximately 50 months not bad for 160 euros.

Currently using a Nokia 7.2 clad in a Kevlar cover and gorilla glass. Given nokias traditional hardiness I think the phone is more bulletproof than the case. I am expecting another 4 years out of this.

Pkiernan wrote: »
    There should be a massive tax on people who change phones every year.

Enviro-hypocrites

:D

Tax everything I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

Current phone is an iPhone 7 which I have had 4 years. It cost me nothing as it was a work bonus. Still going strong. My son uses my old 6 and that is also in great condition.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Used to get a new phone every 12 months or so but since lost interest. I usually buy a high-end one now and have it indefinitely. The last phone I bought was a Razer Phone 2 about 2 years ago. Can see it lasting another 2 just fine I would say.

I have a Xiaomi Mi A2 Lite (my first smartphone) and I've have it just over two years. The battery is great, lasting 4 or 5 days, although I wouldn't be on the phone all the time like some people. The only trouble I ever had with it was the Covid app sapping it of power a few months ago.
    I recommend them to everyone now. :P
    Muahahaha wrote: »
    can anyone explain what they feel is so fast about the high end Apple/Samsung S models? Im just on a bog standard Xiaomi Redmi 6 but Ive never felt it was slow or anything
    They compare them to low-end phones from the same company a few years back. OnePlus started doing "flagship" quality phones at low prices but lost the run of themselves. Xiaomi just put powerful components in and use simple packaging to save on QA and complications.
    My Redmi Note 5 is about 2 seconds slower (still takes over 20 seconds) at opening a particular app than whatever the brand new iPhone was 18 months ago. For Apple feel like they need the Apple "ecosystem" and pay for stuff. For Android high-end phones people want one that looks and feels nice so they can put it in a cover that means they'll only ever see the screen. :pac:
    There's slight tiny preferences about how Apps and the OS are laid out which takes 15 seconds to get used to but people would rather pay a week's wages to not have to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I had a Moto G4 Play, which I bought in 2017. Lasted me until late last year (2019) when the battery started to go, and once it hit 50%, it could randomly turn off. Even a new battery didn't work. So I bought a Samsung Galaxy m30s, which is still working perfectly fine. I'll keep it until it either breaks in some way, or I lose it, or it can't update apps anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

New phone arrived this morning.
    Replacing an iPhone 6S that is still working perfectly after five years. Got a new battery in it a couple of years ago for free which helped. I’m going to keep using it for work stuff.
    Had an iPhone 4 for five years prior to that.
    An assortment of Nokias before that.

Basil3 wrote: »
    I love how threads like this bring all the people out of the woodwork who are proud of how old their phones are.

My current phone is 2 days old. Usually get a new device at least once a year. Always look after my phones and sell them on when buying another.

The same people who probably went on multiple holidays a year up to this one too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I find the word handset to be extremely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I find the word handset to be extremely annoying.

Favoured by the same “types” who get all butthurt over someone saying headphones when they should say earphones.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Andrewf20

Had a Samsung S2 for 7 years. Great phone, but the battery turned bad in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Doublebusy

Current phone screen cracked after 2 months. Closed the car door on it, and for the price to fix it id nearly have another. Would like an oldskool nokia 8850 to be honest - they were class

• Registered Users Posts: 10,561 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Have had my iPhone XS for nearly 2 years. Don’t think I’ll be “upgrading” this year.

Might “treat” myself to a new Apple Watch at Christmas, though, the other one is years old at this stage. Works fine, but you know yourself.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Using a p20 pro a good few years ,still a fantastic camera and runs fairly quick once software updates don't mess it up ,
    Haven't found anything I want to replace it with ,

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭beerguts

I bought a phonefrom amazon in 2016 called BLU Vivo 5R. Jesus it lasted until 2019 and only cost €125 plus shipping. Fantastic little phone with a great camera could never buy one in this country. Only died late last year, I bought an Honor (Huawei brand) phone since of amazon qroud €180 and it is going alright so far.

To be honest if your buying from the phone providers it is a poor selection, its only in the last few years that you can even get one of the oneplus phones from some of the phone providers and they have been top of the range since 2013-2014.

Pays to look on the internet

• Registered Users Posts: 743 ✭✭✭Timistry

My iphone 4S lasted 8 years. Still works,it just became very slow! Was my first smartphone, the 8 is 2 yrs and counting

• Registered Users Posts: 8,302 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Timistry wrote: »
    My iphone 4S lasted 8 years. Still works,it just became very slow! Was my first smartphone, the 8 is 2 yrs and counting

Yeah well you shouldn't have updated it cuz Apple slowed it down INTENTIONALLY via the update.

The 4S was their nicest phone imo not that I buy Apple products.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,435 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

AllForIt wrote: »
    Yeah well you shouldn't have updated it cuz Apple slowed it down INTENTIONALLY via the update.

The 4S was their nicest phone imo not that I buy Apple products.

That did not affect the 4s.

What they did was "slow" down phones from 6s on but it didn't affect the performance that much idea was to prolong battery use.

Mistake they made was keeping it quiet.

Either way an 8 year old phone is the equivalent of a dinosaur and it's not that strange that it's performance slowed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Favoured by the same “types” who get all butthurt over someone saying headphones when they should say earphones.

I still call it an ear piece. Called me old fashioned.

Advertisement