Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone use those e-scooters?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

o1s1n wrote: »
    Is there any reason to use one of these over a bicycle other than the gimmick of them? I would imagine most folks are traveling distances that you could easily cycle.

I cycle a lot myself and have found e-scooters to be pretty dangerous on cycle tracks - they come out of nowhere to overtake you and there's not much of a noise out of them at all, so no real warning.

Had one whizz by and scare the absolute bejasus out of me during the week.

If you are in the city and don't have your bike with you, then they are a quicker way of getting somewhere than bus or taxi. Plus they are much cheaper than a taxi.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Duckjob

jimgoose wrote: »
    Motor vehicles are taxed for the use of the road. Electric cars are taxed at 120 Euro per annum. Motor tax and VRT rates are lower for electric vehicles to encourage their uptake, largely for environmental reasons, but that is not the same thing.

Not correct I'm afraid.

Use of motorised vehicles on the roads attracts motor tax because of 2 factors:

1) Environmental damage.
    2) Wear and tear to roads & resulting maintenance bills.

Electric cars are taxed low, because they are much much better for local air quality. However, they do not escape completely because

a) they still have a large carbon footprint to produce,
    and
    b) they weigh similarly to ICE cars and therefore degrade roads surfaces as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Most I see using them are unsteady and don't look around to see what's going on....

The tiny wheels also are a huge safety concern and they can be good for ones back or joints or posture for that matter as every bump will be felt unless it's one with the chunky tyres.

Many roads aren't suitable.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

go and stand outsid Tesco Clearwater Finglas and see the amount of scrotes on them , using the path and nearly killing each other on them

any parent who buys their kids one of these says it all ( fooking scum ) , kids already glued to their tablet devices and now basic exercise been taken away

we'll pay for this in 10 years time when obesity is even worse cause little fat scrotes using these and not walking

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭bo0li5eumx12kp

go and stand outsid Tesco Clearwater Finglas and see the amount of scrotes on them , using the path and nearly killing each other on them

any parent who buys their kids one of these says it all ( fooking scum ) , kids already glued to their tablet devices and now basic exercise been taken away

we'll pay for this in 10 years time when obesity is even worse cause little fat scrotes using these and not walking

Perhaps with this new form of transport they'll be less inclined to ride the Luas, which I personally would appreciate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tony EH wrote: »
    I have never seen one of these things do 45kmh. Are you sure he wasn't talking about one of these instead?

You can find ones that will do 70 + kmh and can be flashed with custom firmware to go faster again .

Sketchy as **** trying to ride one of those at 50+ hit a decent bump and your roadkill

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Yes, see all around and Dublin city.....

I do laugh seeing parents out walking and kids off ahead on an e scooter, brilliant idea... Then you see the same ones feeding them sweets and crisps in the morning on the way to school.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,910 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Gatling wrote: »
    You can find ones that will do 70 + kmh and can be flashed with custom firmware to go faster again .

Sketchy as **** trying to ride one of those at 50+ hit a decent bump and your roadkill

That's over 40 miles an hour. There's no bloody way you'd get me on one of those things doing a speed like that.

Dangerous, in a stupid way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

I was in Sao Paolo with work in December and they were very popular for office commuters over there given the traffic issues in the city (it could take circa 2 hours to go 10km at rush hour).

Mad to see here people think it's unworkable because the scrotes will use them. I think it's a perfectly viable transport option.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's over 40 miles an hour. There's no bloody way you'd get me on one of those things doing a speed like that.

Dangerous, in a stupid way.

Our one is quick enough but on anything but flat perfect tarmac things could get dicey .

I'll likely be adding a suspension kit at some point

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭Nexytus

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    . I think it's a perfectly viable transport option.

It should be. But then there must be compulsory third party insurance policy for users. The same as cars.

Either everyone is obliged to get insurance. Or no one. Can't be one rule for one.

And this thing of an e-scooter driver would never cause a traffic accident is patent nonsense. They can drive in a manner that would lead to an accident and other parties could be injured as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭KungPao

E-scooters are so lame. I rollerblade into work like a real man.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,372 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Motor cars are without question dangerous but they’re regulated.

Scooters should be taxed, insured, kept on the road and users should be wearing helmets.

If not they should be banned.

But are motor cars actually regulated? Yes, we have regulations, I grant you that, but they really aren't enforced to any significant degree. We wouldn't have 98% of motorists breaking urban speed limits if the regulations were enforced. We wouldn't have the majority of motorists admitting to using their phones while driving in two recent independent surveys if the regulations were enforced. We wouldn't have 100k-150k uninsured motor vehicles on Irish roads if the regulations were enforced.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer that we focused our enforcement activities against the current generations of motorists that largely ignore traffic laws rather than finding new enemies to chase.

How can you waive the need for tax and insurance on a motorised vehicle??

As for congestion charges, it’ll never happen. No politician in power will want the backlash from the horde of daily motorists going city centre bound.

jimgoose wrote: »
    They are mechanically propelled vehicles, and as such should be roadworthy like any motorcycle - lights, indicators, etc. They are not. Their users should be competent, licensed riders and road-users. They are not. The wretched things are a lethal menace in their current form.
    If you want to address 'lethal menaces' on the roads, you might want to focus on the drivers that kill 2 or 3 people each week.
    TomTomTim wrote: »
    They honestly seem to have less regard for traffic laws than even some cyclists. I regularly see them ignoring red lights at a far higher rate than cyclists.
    Do they ignore red lights at a higher rate than motorists ignore speed limits (about 98%)?
    spurious wrote: »
    Do they only work if you wear all black on them?
    No, that would be BMWs that you're thinking of, where you pay extra to go really, really black so that you're almost completely invisible when parked, so that you can scream out of the darkness at scootists about their helmets and hi-vis.

https://www.bmw.com/en/design/the-bmw-X6-vantablack-car.html

If you want to deal with obesity, let's stop having kids being driven 1km-4km to school and football and dancing. That's what causes obesity, not scooters.
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Mad to see here people think it's unworkable because the scrotes will use them. I think it's a perfectly viable transport option.
    Ah here, hold on. It's not just that scrotes use it. It is that scrotes give their kids sweets while they're using it. You do see the problem, right?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

But are motor cars actually regulated? Yes, we have regulations, I grant you that, but they really aren't enforced to any significant degree. We wouldn't have 98% of motorists breaking urban speed limits if the regulations were enforced. We wouldn't have the majority of motorists admitting to using their phones while driving in two recent independent surveys if the regulations were enforced. We wouldn't have 100k-150k uninsured motor vehicles on Irish roads if the regulations were enforced.

Maybe it's just me, but I'd prefer that we focused our enforcement activities against the current generations of motorists that largely ignore traffic laws rather than finding new enemies to chase.

If you want to address 'lethal menaces' on the roads, you might want to focus on the drivers that kill 2 or 3 people each week.

Do they ignore red lights at a higher rate than motorists ignore speed limits (about 98%)?

No, that would be BMWs that you're thinking of, where you pay extra to go really, really black so that you're almost completely invisible when parked, so that you can scream out of the darkness at scootists about their helmets and hi-vis.

https://www.bmw.com/en/design/the-bmw-X6-vantablack-car.html

If you want to deal with obesity, let's stop having kids being driven 1km-4km to school and football and dancing. That's what causes obesity, not scooters.

Ah here, hold on. It's not just that scrotes use it. It is that scrotes give their kids sweets while they're using it. You do see the problem, right?

A young fella, plays GAA and Soccer 3 evenings and once at weekend, especially in winter when it's dark. It's not safe for these kids to be out on the streets walking to and from training as the Gardaí have lost the streets in many areas. No fault of their own all on the sentencing.

I know if I had a son old enough who could even cycle to training, the route he has go to get home id say he would be lucky to arrive home with a bike never mind a phone etc or even worse a kicking

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

How can you waive the need for tax and insurance on a motorised vehicle??

As for congestion charges, it’ll never happen. No politician in power will want the backlash from the horde of daily motorists going city centre bound.

Simple change to legislation and it’s done. Do you think they are taxed and insured across Europe ?? Many things people think unchangeable can easily be done once there is a government appetite.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

Loads the young fellas in Dublin city centre selling drugs use them actually it's mostly yokes in the city centre using them in general ha.

Plus ya get the lads working on building sites who bring them on the Luas in the mornings and afternoon and don't fold them.

They're just another obstacle on the streets until there are laws attached to them in fairness.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

eScooters are great in urban settings. Of course Ireland's lack of progressive thinking means we are way behind. Im amazed the Greens aren't getting behind them.

Other cities have eScooter rental companies similar to Dublin Bikes. Open an app, see where the nearest parked eScooter is and off you go. An area I visit in Spain rolled them out in July and I was using my car far less as a result for runabouts. California has a number of companies that do it. Most cities allow cycle lane use.

However I wouldn't like to be on one in the rain

A young fella, plays GAA and Soccer 3 evenings and once at weekend, especially in winter when it's dark. It's not safe for these kids to be out on the streets walking to and from training as the Gardaí have lost the streets in many areas. No fault of their own all on the sentencing.

I know if I had a son old enough who could even cycle to training, the route he has go to get home id say he would be lucky to arrive home with a bike never mind a phone etc or even worse a kicking

Who said he has to be on his own? If he's too young to be on his own, then you can cycle with him.

But let's revisit the main point here - scooters are not a cause of obesity. Car dependent culture is a huge cause of obesity, and many other medical conditions. If 1 scooter = 1 less car or 1 scooter = 1 extra seat on the bus or tram, then it is a good thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

faceman wrote: »
    eScooters are great in urban settings. Of course Ireland's lack of progressive thinking means we are way behind. Im amazed the Greens aren't getting behind them.

Between naps, the leader of the greens owns and runs a bike shop

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

anyone use a non electric scooter? for commuting

• Advertisement

anyone use a non electric scooter? for commuting

There was a couple of hippies that went to the same gym as me years ago, they used to come and go on them.

We didn't see eye to eye, me and...... those people.

:pac:

Point being a bike vastly eclipses push scooters, but electric scooters where you can get to location not covered in sweat = winning.

Tried out the Kaiser Bass Revo (€599) and it was alright, but not good enough to make me part with my money.

Xiaomi M365 seems to be the popular choice, selling for just €400 last time I checked the price (pre-covid).

Where do you see it listed at that price?

600 large in halfords.

fenris wrote: »
    Between naps, the leader of the greens owns and runs a bike shop

Does he still own it? He is mentioned as a 'former co-owner' in a couple of reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

600 large in halfords.

Halfords are the most expensive for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

A fair few teenagers zooming round on them here where Im living in Denmark. Some of them travel at a worrying speed to be honest, its a bit mad. No helmets or anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

faceman wrote: »

The Greens are bicycle jihadis, to them, e-scooters are Satans magic carpets ridden only by infidels.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

600 large in halfords.

600 grand? Seems a bit steep to me.

Bambi wrote: »
    The Greens are bicycle jihadis, to them, e-scooters are Satans magic carpets ridden only by infidels.

That's some great imagination you have there;
    https://www.greenparty.ie/the-green-party-has-called-on-the-government-to-encourage-rather-than-ban-electric-scooters/

Advertisement