Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Have you ever...

• 14-02-2020 1:19am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

been drug tested at a Garda checkpoint?

I sure haven't :)

Suppose yours truly decided the spend his Friday evening with puff the magic dragon watching Donnie Darko because to be fair that's a great movie.

Then after a great night in all by my lonesome the following morning I decide to head out for breakfast for a much needed coffee.

Will I be making a court appearance if I'm tested at a checkpoint?

The Instagram adverts that were running last year would have had me believed these checkpoints were going to be everywhere but as of yet I've personally not heard of anyone being tested.

What's the word on the street?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 362 ✭✭Die Hard 2019

That are saliva based tests so you are probably looking at a 2 day window. I'd assume there is a gum or drink you can take to block the test

Yeah about two days

[For most drugs, the window of detection in oral fluid is typically 24-48 hours. 4. How soon after use can a drug be detected in saliva? Oral fluid testing can detect drugs in the saliva roughly 30-60 minutes after ingestion]

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭pgj2015

some guy crashed into me lately, I rang the gurads, they came out and breathalysed both of us. I think they should have tested us for drugs as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭feelthepower

Have never been breathalyzed in twenty years of driving. I drive a lot at night as well.

I know the one night if i did try and risk two or three pints it would be the night i would be caught so wouldn't even attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Have never been breathalyzed in twenty years of driving. I drive a lot at night as well.

I know the one night if i did try and risk two or three pints it would be the night i would be caught so wouldn't even attempt it.

Have been tested about 7 times in the last 10 years in Dublin, the last time being early Sunday morning about 4 months ago so it definitely happens.

Breathalyzed maybe 5 or 6 times in the past few years. I live rurally but majority of tests were night time in local major town.

Never been tested for drugs.

Thank God drug swabs wasn't around when I was younger. I used smoke the good herb all the time while driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 854 ✭✭✭raxy

22 years driving & never been tested past through a few checkpoints but always waved on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 110 ✭✭Osamabindipper

Been breath tested twice in 20 years of driving but never tested for drugs... That's a young lads game sure they wouldn't expect a mature man to be doing that kinda thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What's a Garda checkpoint?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

What's a Garda checkpoint?

I think its when you're on your way back from a fishing trip and the guard stops you and makes sure your hooks are sharpened.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

nthclare wrote: »
    I think its when you're on your way back from a fishing trip and the guard stops you and makes sure your hooks are sharpened.

Ah, gotcha. I don't fish so must be why I've never seen one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Hoop66

I never have. A friend of mine was tested, and passed. He's about the only one of my social circle that doesn't smoke joints.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Never

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,531 ✭✭✭HBC08

24 years driving and never been breathalysied.
    Passed through many check points,the most recent being 2 weeks ago where the driver in front was tested but me waved on as usual.
    If i was drug tested at any time of the day or night between 1998 and 2003 i would have tested positive for everything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,205 ✭✭✭jiltloop

10 years driving myself and never been breathalysed or drug tested. Wouldn't do a huge amount of driving though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Pretty much like that, as well. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

That are saliva based tests so you are probably looking at a 2 day window. I'd assume there is a gum or drink you can take to block the test

Yeah about two days

[For most drugs, the window of detection in oral fluid is typically 24-48 hours. 4. How soon after use can a drug be detected in saliva? Oral fluid testing can detect drugs in the saliva roughly 30-60 minutes after ingestion]

The swab isn't enough to convict you, iirc. If the swab test comes up positive, you are brought to the station and asked to provide a blood test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,868 ✭✭✭Alkers

El Weirdo wrote: »
    The swab isn't enough to convict you, iirc. If the swab test comes up positive, you are brought to the station and asked to provide a blood test.

I'm not sure about that but it's interesting to note that the offence is not related in any way to impairment. As in you could be completely fit to drive two days after something but if it's detected you can be prosecuted.

are the drug tests random or do they only ask for a swab if they suspect you have taken drugs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Suppose yours truly decided the spend his Friday evening with puff the magic dragon watching Donnie Darko because to be fair that's a great movie.

Then after a great night in all by my lonesome the following morning I decide to head out for breakfast for a much needed coffee.

The Instagram adverts that were running last year would have had me believed these checkpoints were going to be everywhere but as of yet I've personally not heard of anyone being tested.

You need to call a fella called Murt in Gorey, he'll sort out all your worries with some natural VEGAN mushrooms that he picked the morning you want them
    Thats the word on the street....

We might have used fake names in this reply but uch is your king forever. All hail uch

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Abba987

Once in 22 years. Also wouldnt drink and drive but is the deterrent out there?

Eta and that was 15 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Ciaranis

That's not the reason you shouldn't attempt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Abba987 wrote: »
    Once in 22 years. Also wouldnt drink and drive but is the deterrent out there?

Eta and that was 15 years ago

You could make a rap tune out of that N****er

21/25

I've been drug tested twice and been breathalysed a load.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

...really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,256 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

Starting to think the drug tests are a bit like the magical fluid in swimming pools that's supposed to turn purple when you piss in it

...really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,617 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Drug tested ??
    I counted one night and I’ve driven more than 750,000 miles since I was last breathalised, I reckon my wife has driven twice that without ever being breathelised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭Tuco88

Ever felt like this?
    Have strange things happened,
    Are you going around the twist?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Breathalysed twice in 20 years, found it crooked as everyone was not getting done, either do everyone or don't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

When did Teddy come back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭D3V!L

20 years driving in Dublin. Never been breathalysed or drug tested .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭Andrew00

Never ever been tested or breathalysed.

Be typical though if I chanced 6 or 7 pints would be the night I'd get done for drink driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭Tilikum17

Tuco88 wrote: »
    Ever felt like this?
    Have strange things happened,
    Are you going around the twist?

When I read the thread title I was expecting to read this in the first post.

You must be early 40’s

Advertisement