Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joy

Options
  • 16-11-2015 5:24am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭

Has anyone been following the documentary series on tv3 about Mountjoy ? I just watched it their last night and boy do those lads have it sorted, TV's in the cell, mince pies for dinner, nude photo's of women on the wall and access to a gym area to pump the guns.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Still they might have TV's in thier cells, mince pies for dinner and a gym but they have still lost their freedom. They spend 16 hours a day in the cells. Without TV's in the cells the officers jobs are a lot harder and prisoners would be difficult to manage. Irish prisons are still though have you ever seen those Norwegian prisons? http://www.vice.com/video/norwegian-prisons Makes our prisons look rather harsh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

jjbrien wrote: »
    Still they might have TV's in thier cells, mince pies for dinner and a gym but they have still lost their freedom. They spend 16 hours a day in the cells. Without TV's in the cells the officers jobs are a lot harder and prisoners would be difficult to manage. Irish prisons are still though have you ever seen those Norwegian prisons? http://www.vice.com/video/norwegian-prisons Makes our prisons look rather harsh
    The reasoning behind the Norwegian system is to help reform their inmates for when they get released, rather than punishing them with their time inside. And to be fair, their recidivism rate is apparently less than 1/3rd that of the USA's, which has among the harshest prisons in the Western/developed world.

Nude pics and mince pies?

We differ in our idea of what constitutes the good life.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,411 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Has anyone been following the documentary series on tv3 about Mountjoy ? I just watched it their last night and boy do those lads have it sorted, TV's in the cell, mince pies for dinner, nude photo's of women on the wall and access to a gym area to pump the guns.

Off ya go then.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Billy86 wrote: »
    The reasoning behind the Norwegian system is to help reform their inmates for when they get released, rather than punishing them with their time inside. And to be fair, their recidivism rate is apparently less than 1/3rd that of the USA's, which has among the harshest prisons in the Western/developed world.

Which is what we should be doing. The Joy has come on leaps and bounds in the past few years no more slopping out more education. I feel the OP decided to make this thread as a cheap swipe at prisoners to go look they are getting VIP treatment. Norway seems to be doing it right yes they have lost their freedom but shouldnt loose their dignity, they are still human beings who most of them have made a mistake or gotten involved in the wrong crowd.

Its no cake walk for those who have been locked up in the Joy or any other prison. The inmates have to keep their guard up at all times a violent outburst can happen at any time for things you and I would consider silly. I think one of boardsters is a prison officer in the Joy I hope he gets to see this tread and he can inform us and the OP more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭sonny.knowles

jjbrien wrote: »

Harsh? Tell that to the people sleeping rough.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Harsh? Tell that to the people sleeping rough.

Ok , I will .

I work with homeless people a sizeable group of them have served sentences.I even occasionally collect them after their sentences.

I wonder what these lads will say.

Ok , I will .

I work with homeless people a sizeable group of them have served sentences.I even occasionally collect them after their sentences.

I wonder what these lads will say.

Come back and tell us.

Come back and tell us.

Oh good.

A serial.

kneemos wrote: »
    Oh good.

A serial.

There's no serial , just bread and water.

• Advertisement

There's no serial , just bread and water.

And mince pies.

And mince pies.

Mince pies in November...Ugh!

People up to that carry on should be sent to... oh wait, never mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think anyone who complains about something being too cushy should be made try it. If you think prison is the life of riley, go on ahead and do something to put yourself in there. If you think dole recipents have an easy life, go quit your job. If you complain about some sport being so easy that you judge those doing it, go try it! It would put an end to a lot of unnecessary resentment...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Starts earlier and earlier every year

I hate this 'off you go' attitude that threads like this inevitably attract.

Most people have the morals to not commit offences that result in prison time. Doesn't mean that can't have an opinion on how harsh or easy life in prison is. Or are prisoners / ex prisoners the only ones allowed comment?

boobar wrote: »

I'm eating a Christmas 2016 mince pie as I type this.

boobar wrote: »
    When I was working in Tesco during my teens 10-odd years ago, I saw some on the shelves in late August! :eek:

Generally comes up when people who have no knowledge of the subject decide that their opinion is correct, despite having, well... no knowledge of the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

sup_dude wrote: »
    Generally comes up when people who have no knowledge of the subject decide that their opinion is correct, despite having, well... no knowledge of the subject.

Give them a bit of credit, they get their 'facts' from the Herald/Sunday World.

• Advertisement

What is your personal knowledge of the subject?

Most people have the morals to not commit offences that result in prison time. Doesn't mean that can't have an opinion on how harsh or easy life in prison is. Or are prisoners / ex prisoners the only ones allowed comment?

I doubt anyone really objects to your posting and your opinion, you did try make a comparison between rough sleeping and a prison sentence opening up a very broad debate topic.

From what I see both existences are harsh.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Give them a bit of credit, they get their 'facts' from the Herald/Sunday World.

As opposed to some left wing muck like the Irish Times I suppose. What personal experience of the subject do you have?

What is your personal knowledge of the subject?

That's a loaded question if I've ever seen one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Nude pics and mince pies?

We differ in our idea of what constitutes the good life.

It's the simple things...

:pac:

The old "loaded question"cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

As opposed to some left wing muck like the Irish Times I suppose. What personal experience of the subject do you have?

Working in the IPS. :pac:

kneemos wrote:
    The old "loaded question"cop out.

It's not a cop out when you know fine rightly that it doesn't matter what answer you give, it's going to be twisted.

So your knowledge of the subject is .... non existent. Nice.

• Advertisement

It's not a cop out when you know fine rightly that it doesn't matter what answer you give, it's going to be twisted.

Off ya go then.

Advertisement