Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Joy

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

One of the prisoners proposed that instead of spending 70k a year for imprisoning them, they should just give the prisoner 20k in cash and say sort you life out :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

One of the prisoners proposed that instead of spending 70k a year for imprisoning them, they should just give the prisoner 20k in cash and say sort you life out :pac:
    Far from the worst idea I've ever heard in relation to prisoner rehabilitation. And comfortably one of the more interesting points raised in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I don't think that's what he said, or meant.
    I took it that he meant for 20k (random example figure from him) to be spent on helping individuals sort out their lives through courses/education or whatever rather than just handing them 20k cash.
    There's probably some merit in his suggestion in some cases but to be fair a lot of money has already been spent on some of these fellas long long before they ever see the inside of a prison cell.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

yeah he meant spent on the prisoners to help them

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

There should be a graduated type of prison.

First offence, cushy prison, every effort at rehabilitation.
    Second offence, cushy prison, less priveleges, still lots of rehabilitation.
    Third offence, go to tougher prison, rehabilitation isn't working, you are heading down the punishment route.
    Fourth offence. Time to get serious, tough prison with no niceties.
    Fifth offence. You are going in the hole, boy. Throw away the key.

Obviously it doesn't work for murder but it's how I would treat burglars.

Someone with 20+ convictions isn't likely to be rehabilitated. If they can't behave, lock them up away from the rest of civilised society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭FalconGirl

Just watched the first 2 episodes. It frightens me that the nutjob who sliced the guards and uses anything he can find as a weapon will likely be roaming the streets in a few years:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭crybaby

BattleCorp wrote: »

Third offence, go to tougher prison, rehabilitation isn't working, you are heading down the punishment route.

Someone with 20+ convictions isn't likely to be rehabilitated. If they can't behave, lock them up away from the rest of civilised society.

This sounds like an interesting solution to me. I mean really we have highly paid individuals in charge of the system and they can't come up with any new ways of dealing with criminals?

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭VisibleGorilla

FalconGirl wrote: »
    Just watched the first 2 episodes. It frightens me that the nutjob who sliced the guards and uses anything he can find as a weapon will likely be roaming the streets in a few years:eek:
    Close to 95% of all prisoners will eventually be released, all of these lunatics will be back out again worse than when they went in.

This is the situation with the Irish prison service, and the entire justice system at the moment - Warehousing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

BattleCorp wrote: »

I'd reduce that to three steps. Never happen though as long as we have former Welfare Officers as number 1 and 2 in the Prison service and a Minister for Justice that was a former Welfare Officer as well.
    The other thing I'd do is refuse Free Legal Aid after a certain number of convictions. That'll never happen either though - too many people want to ride that gravy train.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,573 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Only the dangerous people should be in jail anyway.
    Paedos, rapists, murderers and people who commit serious assaults.

The non-dangerous should be put on Community Service like cutting greens, painting walls, clearing graffiti off walls, cutting roadside hedges etc while properly supervised. The council are lacking in manpower it seems as nobody is sweeping my street, so this kind of work would suit the prisoners. A few hours a day of that and then a course to maybe get them employment when their Community Service is finished.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 167 ✭✭Yakkyda

So getting back to the question of whether Irish prisons are harsh. In what way are they harsh? And relative to what?

Relative to not being in prison I would think. Locked up for 16 hours a day, having to eat your meals when your told, not when you want. Constant threat that violence can and most likely will erupt on your landing, daily. The drugs.the gangs.

Most everyone here would agree that a prison officer has a tough job, in a harsh environment. Imagine how it is on the other side of the bars. Having a telly and a plays tat ion in your cell does not make it a nice environment, it's more a distraction for inmates.

Advertisement