Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cheltenham coverage - over the top?

• 14-03-2018 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭

So, we're on Day 2 of the Cheltenham Festival. Now, I wouldn't be very well up on Horse Racing, nor would I be much of a gambler. The odd accumulator on Soccer or GAA would be about the height of it. I'll have a bet on the Gold Cup for the craic, and that'll be about it.

I have a friend that recently admitted to himself that he has a gambling problem (racing in particular) and is seeking help to cope with it. It's more with him in mind that over the last couple of days, I've noticed how much coverage it gets in the media. Go to the RTE website and it is all over the main headline section. Pick up any paper this week and it's splashed all over the place. I was listening to the radio this morning and even Ryan Tubridy was banging on about it.

I know that it's a brilliant week for people who like a flutter but know when to stop, but I feel for my friend is having a really hard time escaping all the coverage. I know that, to some degree, he needs to suck it up and get on with things, but does anyone else think that it's all a bit much?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,041 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

It's the biggest racing festival in the world, for a sport that we excel at.

The media coverage is about right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

I could be overreacting because I have no interest in the sport, there is that.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Is there anything else that your friend needs to avoid, just so we know to put a blanket ban on coverage of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Would the Horse Racing industry fall apart in the west if a ban on gambling was brought in?

Does anybody actually watch it as a sport? As in do they enjoy watching these big animals race each other or is all the pleasure derived from their bet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Is there anything else that your friend needs to avoid, just so we know to put a blanket ban on coverage of it?

He could do with avoiding smartasses on internet forums, but I'm not aware that he's registered on any, so that mightn't be an issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

He could do with avoiding smartasses on internet forums, but I'm not aware that he's registered on any, so that mightn't be an issue.

It's impossible anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

If there was no gambling on horse racing, no-one would look at it.
    It's a cruel "sport" anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

I find that there is an attitude that EVERYONE MUST BE interested in these things and if you voice disinterest you get the look from the people that are interested like you have two heads
    Same with the Rugby.Apparently there is some world shattering game on this weekend that I personally have zero interest in.
    And for the record,I'm a Brit ;0)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

As it is with all of life's pleasures such a drink, a smoke, some fast food or a little flutter on the horses, we shouldn't let the minority that can't contain themselves ruin it for everyone else.

I'm doing a 5.50 Yankee bet each day and I'll put my traditional €10 on the gold cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It's on TV3 I see, another top level sporting event RTE have lost to a channel that refuses to broadcast in HD on saorview.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Of all sports this is the one I have least interest in (this includes ski-jumping and Kabaddi). I try my best to avoid coverage of Cheltenham each year because there seems to be a certain amount of caps-in-the-air "c'mon ya-boy-ya" paddywhackery about it that I can't stand. Some people seem to love so fair enough that there's some coverage, but there's just so much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Would the Horse Racing industry fall apart in the west if a ban on gambling was brought in?

Does anybody actually watch it as a sport? As in do they enjoy watching these big animals race each other or is all the pleasure derived from their bet?

I enjoy watching racing as a sport and wouldn’t be bothered with having a bet.i think it’s in some people to enjoy horses and watch what they are capable of when raced from olden times when the country was all about horses and every lad had a horse be it working hunting trekking etc.
    As a sport nowadays it wouldn’t happen without gambling.no point to it otherwise and a lot of industry and employment based around it.some lads are ruined by it the same as alcohol though which is a shame.gambling is fine in moderation and once you can afford to lose the stake you are betting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Escaping the coverage!

Its on one UK station, one Irish station. I have had TodayFm on in the car today, and BBC on the radio in the house, not many mentions on either. I'd say its quite easy to escape it if you want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭howyanow

Id agree coverage is a bit over the top.
    Its far too easy now for people to get addicted to gambling so in that regard its too much.
    Do the newspapers still give free bets in the papers?I dont agree with doing that as its already difficult enough forbaddicts to avoid gambling without these kind of enticements.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Fùcking love Cheltenham. In Birmingham now and heading down this evening to spend the next few days drinking the neck off myself and gambling like a demented madman. Hopefully some riding of a different type will take place off track!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I enjoy watching racing as a sport and wouldn’t be bothered with having a bet.i think it’s in some people to enjoy horses and watch what they are capable of when raced from olden times when the country was all about horses and every lad had a horse be it working hunting trekking etc.
    As a sport nowadays it wouldn’t happen without gambling.no point to it otherwise and a lot of industry and employment based around it.some lads are ruined by it the same as alcohol though which is a shame.gambling is fine in moderation and once you can afford to lose the stake you are betting.

Yeah I'd imagine it's nearly entirely reliant on gambling.

As a spectacle though there's definitely more to it. I only attended my first race meeting recently (know nothing about horses or racing) and I have to say it was exhilarating when they ran past the barrier I was standing at.

The pounding of the hooves and the graceful motion of the animal.

Even looking at the racehorses when they're stationary, their build and definition is so impressive, such athletes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Out of a class of 13 today, there was 3 of us that went in for all classes today. The "lads" ditched after the first hour, to go to the bookies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Only a bit of fun, sure the Wexford postman only did in 10 million, he was on the way to winning it back, but was nabbed up north, he is training to be a councillor now, paddy power kept the twine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Its the least entertaining spectator sport I've ever seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Didn’t watch United last night then?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Nah, that has to be golf. Watch it on TV and it's just man with a club, sky, sky, sky,sky, green bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

i think its the culture around horseracing rather than the racing itself that interests 'fans' the most. its accessible to working class and elite, altho both benefit differently from the sport. we are a small nation and it gives us a chance to perform on the world stage

but its basically a bunch of horse athletes with human navigators, and we dont get to hear the athlete being interviewed afterwards, that would be interesting!

i think i prefer it to rich men walking around a well manicured park while having their sports equipment carried by another man

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

Touché! But did you notice when the result of the Utd match was given the announcers didn't say Sevilla 5/1 against (or whatever their odds were)? Soccer can stand on it's own, whereas, without betting, Horse Racing would be no bigger than an occasional point to point meetings for afficionados.

A chap working with me was sacked about three years ago for spending his day researching horses on-line. One of the lads met him on Monday, he had the week off and €3K in his pocket. €3K! A fella in his early 30's living with his parents? The sickening thing is he obviously expects to lose having that much on him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

Yeah I'd imagine it's nearly entirely reliant on gambling.

As a spectacle though there's definitely more to it. I only attended my first race meeting recently (know nothing about horses or racing) and I have to say it was exhilarating when they ran past the barrier I was standing at.

The pounding of the hooves and the graceful motion of the animal.

Even looking at the racehorses when they're stationary, their build and definition is so impressive, such athletes.

Yeah I agree.horses are bouncing fit and primed for the race it’s great to see them.and you have to hand it to the jockeys too.starved to death and tough as nails.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    If there was no gambling on horse racing, no-one would look at it.
    It's a cruel "sport" anyway.
    How is it cruel?
    I own a mare and foal. They have a great life.
    If one of them races am I cruel?

Deise Vu wrote: »
    T
    A chap working with me was sacked about three years ago for spending his day researching horses on-line. One of the lads met him on Monday, he had the week off and €3K in his pocket. €3K! A fella in his early 30's living with his parents? The sickening thing is he obviously expects to lose having that much on him.
    Who had the €3k? Was it the lad who met him, or the lad who was sacked three years ago?
    Who is the fella in his 30s living with his parents?
    Who expects to lose €3k, and why is that obvious. Where did he get the €3k. Did he win it or save it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭Gwynplaine

diomed wrote: »
    How is it cruel?
    I own a mare and foal. They have a great life.
    If one of them races am I cruel?

The horses that have to be put down after going over some of those big jumps. And the jockey being broke up in bits too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭Road-Hog

It's the biggest racing festival in the world, for a sport that we excel at.

The media coverage is about right.

I would question horse racing being a sport at all. Remove the betting aspect of it and nobody would go to it.....!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,530 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Between Saorview and Freesat there's about 200 channels that aren't showing Cheltenham

And it's not like Cheltenham is all on ALL DAY, EVERY SINGLE DAY unlike a certain sport.

As the FIFA world cup approaches, imagine how the rest of us feel.

Firstly, imagine every time within a day that football is mentioned by someone else. Secondly, replace it with something that you don't want to hear about every day. Say... Archaeology. Then, think about how an average day would pan out.

So, you awaken to the clock radio. It's 7AM. Just as you awaken, it's time for the news and archaeology already. Not news and other historical investigations, like library restorations or museum openings (unless there's another event happening), but just the news and archaelogy. Malaysian plane is still missing. Pistorius is still on trial. New dig announced in Giza. Ancient Mayan temple discovered. Exciting stuff.

Time for a bite to eat over the morning TV. More news. More archaeology. Yes, you are aware of what is up with the missing plane. Fine. Now the archaeology in video format. Video of people dusting off some skulls and bits of pottery. All well and good, but archaeology isn't your thing. It would be nice to hear about something else. Even when it isn't archaeology season, the media follow noted archaeologists. They drive fast cars, have sex with beautiful women, advertise fragrances, and sometimes they go to nightclubs and act in the worst possible way. Scandals erupt as the tabloids follow these new celebrities when they're not searching the past for answers. It is entirely possible you can recite the names of certain researchers, even if you don't pay attention to archaeology. You don't know what transfer season is, but you know that someone was transferred to a dig in Peru for a sum of money that could fund the London Underground for two whole days.

Out of the car at 8:55 and into work. What are the colleagues talking about, I wonder? Oh, Jones dropped a 3,890 year old pot and smashed it? What a useless wanker! Someone should do something unpleasant to him. And don't even ask about the unfortunate incident in Athens two years ago - you'll be there all day! Breaking a pillar like that! We don't talk about that here, mate. What? You don't want to discuss the finer points of the prevalence of phallic imagery in Pompeii? Is there something wrong with you?

The drive home from work. Every thirty minutes, no matter the station, someone mentions the archaeology. Best sit in silence. Drive past a huge billboard with a black and white picture of a rakishly handsome archaeologist draped over an impossibly beautiful woman. He's winking at you. Trowel in his left hand, supermodel in the right. Jurassic, by Calvin Klein.

And now the pub. A nice pub with a beer garden. Posters in the windows. LIVE EXCAVATION AT THE VALLEY OF THE KINGS! All of it on a huge TV with the volume up too loud. Drunken people yelling at the screen. "SEND IT FOR CARBON DATING, YOU USELESS ****!" "WHAT ARE YOU ON, MATE? DUST THE ANCIENT MEDALLION GENTLY! SMELTING METHODS OF THE TIME PRODUCED VERY SOFT AND IMPURE METALS EASILY PRONE TO DISFIGURATION!" All this from two men out of a crowd of twenty. One lousy drunken idiot and his chum ruin the image of other archaeology fans. Carbon dating report from the lab updates on TV, read by a man employed because they've been following the beautiful science since they were a boy. The drunk chimes in again. "WHAT PHARAOH'S REIGN DID YOU SAY? DO YOU KNOW WHAT THIS SAYS ABOUT THE UNDERPINNINGS OF OUR THEORY OF AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPMENT OF 4TH BC EGYPT? GET IN, MATE!" A cheer cascades through the building and you can only wonder why.

Best go home and avoid anyone who might be drinking and singing. You once met a disagreeable chap who threatened to beat you up because you didn't watch the archaeology. "Not a late paleolithic era supporter are you? Think you're better than me? I'll ****ing have you, you scrawny ****!"

To bed. To repeat the cycle tomorrow. The inescapable, inevitability that wherever you go, someone, somewhere, is just dying to talk to you about the archaeology.

• Advertisement

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    The horses that have to be put down after going over some of those big jumps. And the jockey being broke up in bits too.
    Yes. I prefer flat racing. Jumping is a learned skill for a horse. They will not jump by choice.
    (Please do not tell me you see jockeyless horses jumping fences. That is herd instinct. They want to stay with the herd.)
    You are like almost everyone else in your judgement.
    A very few horses break legs and have to be put down to save them suffering.
    They are a flight animal and it is not possible to mend a break and stop the horse trying to use it.

Do you want to stop thoroughbred racing?
    Then answer this question: Who will keep racehorses?
    They will all be killed to satisfy you complaining about a small number of horse deaths.
    There will be no more racehorses.

But did you know there are 24,000+ mares at stud in Ireland And Britain.
    About a third or more of all foals born do not make the racecourse and they do not retire. Thousands disappear.
    You are a TV person, reacting only to what you see, knowing a very small part of the picture.

Jockeys ride horses for income and the thrill of racing. That is their choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Steve F

Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post

Lads I can end this debate now with one word

CRICKET!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Steve F wrote: »
    Originally Posted by suicide_circus View Post

Lads I can end this debate now with one word

CRICKET!! :D

Right boy, Motor Racing is the answer to that one, or more probably NASCAR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

a couple of cheetahs released as they are coming into home straight would liven things up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,970 ✭✭✭Deise Vu

diomed wrote: »
    Who had the €3k? Was it the lad who met him, or the lad who was sacked three years ago?
    Who is the fella in his 30s living with his parents?
    Who expects to lose €3k, and why is that obvious. Where did he get the €3k. Did he win it or save it?

Mmm... I think someone had a run of bad luck yesterday.;)

Deise Vu wrote: »
    Mmm... I think someone had a run of bad luck yesterday.;)
    Your post was confusing, talking about lads, and impossible to follow.

I am only interested in flat racing.
    Cheltenham does not interest me.
    My bet yesterday was €120 on Peru at 370s for the soccer World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,275 ✭✭✭Your Face

outrage.jpg

Advertisement