Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What car to buy for this situation

Options
  • 01-07-2020 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭

I work in a service that provides care to an autistic lad.We need to get a car for us to drive him around and do his day to day stuff.He has no mobility issues so we re not restricted by that in what car we get.

His does about 12 -15k annually and budget would be €5-6k.

A golf (or similar) would be ideal but in high demand as usual so not great value for our budget.We are open to any make of car.

Open to any suggestions!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,896 ✭✭✭selectamatic

How are ye setup for funding with regards mileage and fuel allowances etc. diesel might be beneficial if ye can claim expenses on it.

Renault Megane estate 1.5 diesel could be worth considering.

Also maybe a 7 seater/crossover type car might be more suited from my experience ASD kids tend to like the higher seating position. But it really depends on the child and what they're used to.

If its rural driving the case for diesel can be made too but if it's all urban driving maybe look at petrol and automatic options.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

The car will only be used by the service user (autistic adult male) and one of his team of carers at a time,basically will only ever be two people in the car.

Itll just be used for pottering around town and spins to the beach/for walks etc

No fuel allowance as he pays for diesel/petrol from his own money.

Good call on the Megane,I had one before and it was really high spec and I think theyre a nice looking car (well the one I had in the early noughties was nice and the more recent ones too) they defo lost their way with some of the weird looking yolks circa 2010!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭HBC08

Went with a Kia Rio in the end.
    Very high spec 1.4 diesel 2013 88000 miles.

Advertisement