Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of a change

• 01-07-2020 9:51am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Just a bit if background.
    We have a 162 5 series m sport saloon, 96k miles. Lovely car, we've had it for 2 years.
    We're thinking of a change as its coming due for nct, not that there'll be a problem and it's close to 100k miles.

I was looking at a 171 A6 estate, ultra black edition in rare anthracite grey with only 31k miles.
    It was imported with 4k miles and I know the previous owner, but they traded it in to a local garage.

Asking is 33k and the garage will give 21k for my car.
    I just can't get it out of my head that 12k is a lot to go up 6 months, I know its a different car etc.

My thinking is, we have a 1 year old and will more than likely have a 2nd in the next 18 months. The 5 series is surprisingly tight on space when you throw car seats and buggies into the mix. The A6 only has 31k miles so I'd be thinking we'd get 4 or 5 years out of it before changing again and it'd surely have enough space for our needs.

Just seems a lot to jump 6 months, those Audis really hold their money.

Opinions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Just a bit if background.
    We have a 162 5 series m sport saloon, 96k miles. Lovely car, we've had it for 2 years.
    We're thinking of a change as its coming due for nct, not that there'll be a problem and it's close to 100k miles.

I was looking at a 171 A6 estate, ultra black edition in rare anthracite grey with only 31k miles.
    It was imported with 4k miles and I know the previous owner, but they traded it in to a local garage.

Asking is 33k and the garage will give 21k for my car.
    I just can't get it out of my head that 12k is a lot to go up 6 months, I know its a different car etc.

My thinking is, we have a 1 year old and will more than likely have a 2nd in the next 18 months. The 5 series is surprisingly tight on space when you throw car seats and buggies into the mix. The A6 only has 31k miles so I'd be thinking we'd get 4 or 5 years out of it before changing again and it'd surely have enough space for our needs.

Just seems a lot to jump 6 months, those Audis really hold their money.

Opinions?

Wait until your 2nd kid is on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

What have you currently got; 520d?
    and what is the Audi; A6 2.0d?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

There is no way I'd pay 12k to go from a 162 5 Series to a 171 A6, they are both old models at this point. The garages's A6 is overvalued imo.

Here is a 2018 with similar mileage asking 32k:
    https://www.carsireland.ie/detail.php?ad_id=2557578&r=s.php%3Fm%5B%5D%3D7%26o%5B%5D%3D45%26b%3D3%26yn%3D2018%26yx%3D2018%26g%3D0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Sorry yeh, 520d and 2.0d A6.
    Seems to be the going rate for black editions though which is what I'd like.
    But it just seems like a massive difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 441 ✭✭WacoKid

You would be moving from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive so and if you are ok with that.

Also, the drivetrain and dynamics of the BMW 520d are better IMO. So you would be potentially forgoing these to drive something that maybe looks better and has more space...at a premium of 12k.

• Advertisement

WacoKid wrote: »
    You would be moving from rear wheel drive to front wheel drive so and if you are ok with that.

Also, the drivetrain and dynamics of the BMW 520d are better IMO. So you would be potentially forgoing these to drive something that maybe looks better and has more space...at a premium of 12k.

My wife is the main driver and it's mostly motorway driving it will be doing so those things probably won't come into it to much.

Not mad about the new shape 5 series estate and it'd be similar money anyway. I actually don't like the newer A6 estate shape either.

I think the black edition, while looking good just asks too much of a premium.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭GavMan

Would you consider an SUV? The reason I say that is that I was in a similar position with my kids and I was sweet on a Skoda Superb and my wife preferred a Kodiaq so we went with the Kodiaq as she is the main driver.

I have to say its so much handier lifting the eldest into the car rather than bending down and then lifting the baby into the isofix base. The boot is cavernous and the 7 seats are a nice to have. Already used them a couple of times when I thought I never would but I went for them because at 1k you make it back and more when selling over the 5 seater.

That being said, you wont get into a q7 or an x5 for those numbers. Kodiaq Sportline is a nice place to sit IMO, as is a Style. It might be an option

GavMan wrote: »
    Would you consider an SUV? The reason I say that is that I was in a similar position with my kids and I was sweet on a Skoda Superb and my wife preferred a Kodiaq so we went with the Kodiaq as she is the main driver.

I have to say its so much handier lifting the eldest into the car rather than bending down and then lifting the baby into the isofix base. The boot is cavernous and the 7 seats are a nice to have. Already used them a couple of times when I thought I never would but I went for them because at 1k you make it back and more when selling over the 5 seater.

That being said, you wont get into a q7 or an x5 for those numbers. Kodiaq Sportline is a nice place to sit IMO, as is a Style. It might be an option

Yeh a Q7 would be nice but not affordable at the moment, trying to get a house deposit together also.

I will check them out, the wife would like an SUV, she'd like an xc60, but the new shape in late 17 are mad money too, plus I wouldn't be a fan of them.

Advertisement