Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arteon

• 30-06-2020 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭

anyone owners or experience of the VW Arteons? Considering a petrol 2L second hand. Seem to go for around 34k for 2018 nodels.

Gorgeous looking car but all the reviews seem negative enough on account of the interior and boring drive. But I think all reviews say that unless its a bmw. Had a diesel 1.6 passant a couple of years ago and really couldn't fault the drive.

Anyway thanks for any feedback. Hope to have a look and test dribe of one next week.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ryder wrote: »
    anyone owners or experience of the VW Arteons? Considering a petrol 2L second hand. Seem to go for around 34k for 2018 nodels.

Gorgeous looking car but all the reviews seem negative enough on account of the interior and boring drive. But I think all reviews say that unless its a bmw. Had a diesel 1.6 passant a couple of years ago and really couldn't fault the drive.

Anyway thanks for any feedback. Hope to have a look and test dribe of one next week.

I drove one as I loved the look of them, but I found no different in the interior from a passat. Also the passats had the dynamic dash for example. The exterior look I really like but for the money I couldn't justify buying one.
    They are well priced in the UK if that is an option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I think they're a great looker, but they do need the R-Line spec/trim with the larger wheels etc. They don't look right to me with the lesser spec (similar to BMW without M-Sport or Audi's in SE trim for example). They're massive inside, the rear legroom is huge. Again, in R-Line trim, I think the Interior is quite nice and well spec'd. Large touchscreen, digital dials and a lot of them come with the pano sunroof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Ryder

Thanks. Agree, would only look at the R Line

yop wrote: »
    I drove one as I loved the look of them, but I found no different in the interior from a passat. Also the passats had the dynamic dash for example. The exterior look I really like but for the money I couldn't justify buying one.
    They are well priced in the UK if that is an option.

had a look at autrotrader...Good few in Uk but not massively cheaper than here when you factor in transport, VRT ETC

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Ryder wrote: »
    had a look at autrotrader...Good few in Uk but not massively cheaper than here when you factor in transport, VRT ETC

I had a price from a garage in NI for an R-Line, 2019, 190 BHP landed for 34,400, thats a few months back.
    I would think that is a good few k euro cheaper?

• Advertisement

yop wrote: »
    I had a price from a garage in NI for an R-Line, 2019, 190 BHP landed for 34,400, thats a few months back.
    I would think that is a good few k euro cheaper?

Yeah, thats 1 year fresher than here for the same money. Which garage was that? Did you aske them to source you one or was it on sale? Don't really see myself travelling over this side of christmas

Yes drove one yesterday in Cork. Gorgeous in the flesh, really nice to drive in tne 2L petrol....interior a bit of a let down...but only slightly

Had a look at a petrol 5 series also. Interior and exterior fantastic. Couldn't really do a proper test drive, but head definitely turned by the BMW

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

Was up north yesterday, looked at a few of these. Sharp looking car. Few grand saving and garage had a lot of fresh cars available from UK via PCP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

At that budget I would be looking at importing a 530e.

VRT on a year old one 2.5k, very good value to be had.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Audi's in SE trim

:eek::eek::eek:

• Advertisement

PaulKK wrote: »
    At that budget I would be looking at importing a 530e.

VRT on a year old one 2.5k, very good value to be had.

Having had a look about, similar year and miles A5 Sportback is in or around the same price. Not sure how that works.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The A5 is a smaller and cheaper car than the 5 Series. The 5 Series also depreciates more. The 530e is a plug in hybrid so the VRT figure has a hybrid VRT rebate build into it making the VRT cheaper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

bazz26 wrote: »
    The A5 is a smaller and cheaper car than the 5 Series. The 5 Series also depreciates more. The 530e is a plug in hybrid so the VRT figure has a hybrid VRT rebate build into it making the VRT cheaper.

They are good value; I just found this vehicle on Carzone.ie https://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/bmw/5-series/used-2019-191-bmw-5-series-530e-hybri-dublin-fpa-202007020788576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Casati

road_high wrote: »

There are a number of threads on boards re the 530e, most comments are positive but it has two main negatives - namely the boot is quite small so versus the Arteon it’s going to be less practical, and secondly due to the extra weight from the hybrid setup it doesn’t handle as well as the petrols or diesels.

I really like the Arteon but think spending mid 30’s for a two year old with 190bhp petrol is quite expensive. The dash / interior is the same as the Passat but that’s a good thing as the Passat is one of the best finished in that segment

Having had a look about, similar year and miles A5 Sportback is in or around the same price. Not sure how that works.

It looks like a 17 A5 sportback S Line and 18 Arteon R Line are in or around the same money in UK, so 22k stg.

What do people think is the better buy, taking resale and running costs into account?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,047 ✭✭✭Truckermal

It looks like a 17 A5 sportback S Line and 18 Arteon R Line are in or around the same money in UK, so 22k stg.

What do people think is the better buy, taking resale and running costs into account?

A5 definitely I'd try and stretch to a Black Edition but once it's not a SE I'd take it..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Truckermal wrote: »
    A5 definitely I'd try and stretch to a Black Edition but once it's not a SE I'd take it..

Why is the a5 better? Nicer interior, refinement, performance? I thought the Arteon was a fresher model than the a5.
    *just see it came out only a year before the Arteon

Truckermal wrote: »

Thanks for that. It’s what I was thinking.

bazz26 wrote: »

I meant the Arteon is similar money to the A5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,296 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

That's the Arteon's problem. Your paying A5 money for a prettier Passat.

• Advertisement
Advertisement