Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ticks

Options
  • 24-06-2020 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭

I have a 4 month old Golden Lab pup....over the last couple of days I've pulled about 40 ticks off him...Horrible yokes altogether.

He's only got his last vaccinations last week so hasn't been anywhere else than in the garden.....but being a pup as he is he loves being out rolling about and getting in behind bushes etc.

I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to try and get shampoo or something to kill them but does anyone know if you can do anything to kill them in the garden?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

368100 wrote: »
    I have a 4 month old Golden Lab pup....over the last couple of days I've pulled about 40 ticks off him...Horrible yokes altogether.

He's only got his last vaccinations last week so hasn't been anywhere else than in the garden.....but being a pup as he is he loves being out rolling about and getting in behind bushes etc.

I'm going to the pet shop tomorrow to try and get shampoo or something to kill them but does anyone know if you can do anything to kill them in the garden?

Don’t get flea / tick repellent in a pet store - go to your vet you can buy over the counter (don’t need an app)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,024 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Call the vet first - if they're like mine they're posting/bringing stuff out to the car to prevent footfall into reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

keep your grass short as possible. Hard to curtail an inquisitive puppy... You could try putting a BABYGRO on him when he goes outside :rolleyes: Best to phone the vet as others have said, and get some proper TICK repellent appropriate for age/weight etc. Frontline spot-on and Broadline spot-on are some of the better ones.

You could google natural/home made sprays for repelling ticks - but 40 is a lot of ticks, so maybe chemicals are the safer option:

Repellent for Pets: Add 1 cup of water to a spray bottle, followed by 2 cups of distilled white vinegar. Ticks hate the smell and taste of vinegar, and will be repelled by this ingredient alone. Then, add two spoonfuls of vegetable or almond oil, which both contain sulfur (another natural tick repellent).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

40 is an awful lot. I had 2 labs for 8 and 12 years and I wouldn't have taken 40 ticks off them combined in all that time!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

unhappys10 wrote: »
    40 is an awful lot. I had 2 labs for 8 and 12 years and I wouldn't have taken 40 ticks off them combined in all that time!

Yeah it is a lot........thankfully they're easily spotted in his coat so can get them before they get too big....it's just a wrestling match to get him to sit long enough to get them :-)

We had a lab at home when I was younger, he would have had an odd one but not as bad as this.

Vet gave me Spot on today which is supposed to kill them within 48 hours so hopefully that will do the job. Lasts for a month too.

Have been googling for what could be put in garden and a lot say vinegar so I'll try that before I resort to any harsh chemicals.

• Advertisement

unhappys10 wrote: »

Yeah it is a lot........thankfully they're easily spotted in his coat so can get them before they get too big....it's just a wrestling match to get him to sit long enough to get them :-)

We had a lab at home when I was younger, he would have had an odd one but not as bad as this.

Vet gave me Spot on today which is supposed to kill them within 48 hours so hopefully that will do the job. Lasts for a month too.

Have been googling for what could be put in garden and a lot say vinegar so I'll try that before I resort to any harsh chemicals.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

did the vet say that this is a particularly bad year for Ticks? 40 really is an incredible number to get on one dog in a short time. I would be very concerned about the health implications - for yourself and your dog - that there would be so many ticks in your garden. Are you near/beside woodland? Have deer nearby? Lots of sheep? Lyme Disease is in ireland now, low occurrance but still...
    Interesting reading:
    https://irishvetjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13620-017-0084-y

aonb wrote: »
    did the vet say that this is a particularly bad year for Ticks? 40 really is an incredible number to get on one dog in a short time. I would be very concerned about the health implications - for yourself and your dog - that there would be so many ticks in your garden. Are you near/beside woodland? Have deer nearby? Lots of sheep? Lyme Disease is in ireland now, low occurrance but still...
    Interesting reading:
    https://irishvetjournal.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s13620-017-0084-y

No they didn't say.
    Not beside woodland, average sized garden in an estate so no animals nearby either.
    The spot on treatment seems to have done the job, haven't seen any in a couple of days now. Have sprayed vinegar around the garden too so hopefully that'll be the end of it for a while anyway.
    All I can do now is keep pup and the house clean I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭omicron

368100 wrote: »
    No they didn't say.
    Not beside woodland, average sized garden in an estate so no animals nearby either.
    The spot on treatment seems to have done the job, haven't seen any in a couple of days now. Have sprayed vinegar around the garden too so hopefully that'll be the end of it for a while anyway.
    All I can do now is keep pup and the house clean I guess.

With that many ticks around you might be better with a preventative collar, the older ones are basically useless but there are newer prescription ones available that are much better and last 8 months (Seresto).

OP here with an update......have been checking pup every day since spot on treatment over a week ago so that and spraying vinegar in garden has hopefully done the trick :-)

• Advertisement
Advertisement