Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Male going to vet to be neutered

• 20-06-2020 2:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Our one year old Bearnese beagle called Liam is going to the vets on monday to be neutered
    As we don't intend on breeding and I don't want to risk him getting cancer as result of not flushing the pipes every week or so,
    We have had him since he was seven weeks old

Question is; will he be kept in overnight or will he be allowed come home?

As with most beagles he has anxiety and gets afraid when were not around,
    He gives me proper hugs like paws around my neck and lyes on my lap like a baby with his head on my shoulder and paws in the air,
    I don't like the thought of leaving him in there alone; hes always playful and happy
    I don't want to give him a traumatic experience in there.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

LenWoods wrote: »
    Hi all,
    Our one year old Bearnese beagle called Liam is going to the vets on monday to be neutered
    As we don't intend on breeding and I don't want to risk him getting cancer as result of not flushing the pipes every week or so,

I’ve never heard that as a reason before lol.

Anyways it’s a day case so in, knocked out, surgery, wake up, fed and then let home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭dirkmeister

tk123 wrote: »
    I’ve never heard that as a reason before lol.

Anyways it’s a day case so in, knocked out, surgery, wake up, fed and then let home

We were asking our vet about neutering our cocker yesterday and she listed testicular and prostate cancer as a main reason for getting the procedure done.

Our vet doesn’t keep dogs overnight after neutering either. They let them home that evening.

As TK123 said, it’s fairly quick.

Hope it all goes well for Liam, he’s absolutely gorgeous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Had one of mine in and out in a day, having the cone on his head annoyed him a bit he kept catching it on the ground

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭con747

A springer in and out the same day, was nearly renamed bumpy after the cone issues with him hitting everything possible:)

Don't expect anything from life, just be grateful to be alive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Thanks all, will be great to have him home the same day,
    I've booked monday and Tuesday off work to bring him there and home,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

He'll be really zonked when you bring him home, but will soon wear off

You will know what his personality is like, but consider an alternative to the plastic cone, since you have time to plan. My anxious dog was scared of the plastic cone. and was really stressing him out. I took an old jumper of my husbands, cut off the sleeves, and stuffed one with half of the jumper body tying off both ends, then tied that around his neck like a thick thick scarf (interlooping it with his collar so it couldnt fall off) for the first couple of days so he couldnt be at his stitches/wound site. Liam might be fine with the cone, so just a thought.

Have had our dogs neutered - they were nearly up and going as usual the next day. Hope it all goes well - hes SUPER cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

We had our dog done last year and he was really unwell after it.

We almost felt pressured. The vet brought up cancer etc and said it better for him but when I asked statistically what was the likelihood of him developing cancer he couldn't answer.

What made us go through it was our dog was becoming obsessed with his penis, full on erections and then getting stuck.

Procedure went really well, but he was in so much pain. We had to take him back after 2 days because he wouldnt even let us near him and was crying all the time. They gave him injections for the pain. We were back to puppy pads too. He managed to use the cone to scratch his wound which opened it up slightly.
    My advice, make sure you can be around for a couple of days and ask for a larger cone that your dog needs. You can also buy cones that are softer than the plastic ones the vet gives

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,774 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Oh lordy op, he's a real cutie :o
    Castration is a very straightforward procedure... the anaesthesia takes longer than the actual operation, which is over within minutes really :)
    Can I recommend that you head to your nearest pet shop over the next couple of days and get an inflatable collar, to avoid the need for the damn Cone of Shame?
    https://www.petstop.ie/trixie-protective-inflatable-collar?gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1ImytocEFWgKkQycqqnoKFLRQQMqrfXN-AnC2S0QZhlirfR_N5rsBZAFehoCuYQQAvD_BwE#217=1518

Far more comfortable and significantly less invasive for both dog and you. Just make sure it's securely fitted and attached to his own normal collar, and that it's fully inflated.

aonb wrote: »
    He'll be really zonked when you bring him home, but will soon wear off

You will know what his personality is like, but consider an alternative to the plastic cone, since you have time to plan. My anxious dog was scared of the plastic cone. and was really stressing him out. I took an old jumper of my husbands, cut off the sleeves, and stuffed one with half of the jumper body tying off both ends, then tied that around his neck like a thick thick scarf (interlooping it with his collar so it couldnt fall off) for the first couple of days so he couldnt be at his stitches/wound site. Liam might be fine with the cone, so just a thought.

Have had our dogs neutered - they were nearly up and going as usual the next day. Hope it all goes well - hes SUPER cute!
    DBB wrote: »
    Oh lordy op, he's a real cutie :o
    Castration is a very straightforward procedure... the anaesthesia takes longer than the actual operation, which is over within minutes really :)
    Can I recommend that you head to your nearest pet shop over the next couple of days and get an inflatable collar, to avoid the need for the damn Cone of Shame?
    https://www.petstop.ie/trixie-protective-inflatable-collar?gclid=CjwKCAjw57b3BRBlEiwA1ImytocEFWgKkQycqqnoKFLRQQMqrfXN-AnC2S0QZhlirfR_N5rsBZAFehoCuYQQAvD_BwE#217=1518

Far more comfortable and significantly less invasive for both dog and you. Just make sure it's securely fitted and attached to his own normal collar, and that it's fully inflated.
    Thanks both for advice;
    Well today is the day; I've just had him out for a 10km walk and his last feed was 18:00 last night as requested by the vet.
    We took him out for a forest walk yesterday too then went to two different pets hops to try and purchase an inflatable collar as described; unfortunately one store wanted €41 for it and the other stor was only €19 but hadn't got any XL left in stock, I did see they had grey material cones though with clear plastic strips in them to allow better vision aswell as being more comfortable for him to lye down,
    So I'll see how he gets on with the cone and purchase the soft one if required; he's got quite a long neck and he's 23kg very strong lad so I wouldn't trust myself making a collar for him incase I got it wrong I would feel terrible about it but it is great advice and thanks very much; I just dont trust my ability in making one as he is quite strong and if he got anxious aswell as determined then he could tare off anything I'd make,
    He's more of a family member than a pet to us; we let him go in to the living room and anywhere downstairs so he can be on the sofa for the next few days and for as long as he wants, I'll put down a waterproof sheet and blanket on top just incase he has an uncontrollable bypass.
    jrosen wrote: »
    We had our dog done last year and he was really unwell after it.

We almost felt pressured. The vet brought up cancer etc and said it better for him but when I asked statistically what was the likelihood of him developing cancer he couldn't answer.

What made us go through it was our dog was becoming obsessed with his penis, full on erections and then getting stuck.

Procedure went really well, but he was in so much pain. We had to take him back after 2 days because he wouldnt even let us near him and was crying all the time. They gave him injections for the pain. We were back to puppy pads too. He managed to use the cone to scratch his wound which opened it up slightly.
    My advice, make sure you can be around for a couple of days and ask for a larger cone that your dog needs. You can also buy cones that are softer than the plastic ones the vet gives
    Sorry to hear of your bad experience with having it done; nobody wants that for there pet after volunteering to go for the operation aswell its really one that should go very smoothly,
    Although I had a vasectomy myself few years back which I had a bit of pain with after where one of the pipes got a bit blocked causing alot of pain and few years before that was in A&E with phomoses caused by too high prescription of antibiotics; which is where the glands on either side of the head became very irritating and swelled way out and wouldn't contract; three injections of morphine and pushed it back in with there finger and thumb, so I can relate to your dog quite alot lol

I'll keep you all updated on hos it goes for him today and across the next few days thanks for all advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,053 ✭✭✭✭tk123

OP check with your vet because they might stock inflatable collars - I got ours from the vet ;)

• Advertisement

tk123 wrote: »
    OP check with your vet because they might stock inflatable collars - I got ours from the vet ;)

Thanks I'll ask them later when I go back;
    Dropped him in to the vets and got him weighed 22.8kg ,
    Held him while the Vet gave him two injections for sedation
    I then carried him to a cage along with one of his blankets from home,

I'm home now to change my Jean's as the poor fella was nervous he leaked ass juice all over my Jean's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I highly recommend the inflatable collars, I've used mine on all the dogs, for various ops.
    He'll be a bit dopey when you pick him up, he'll sleep a lot for 24hrs, might not eat much so don't worry, it's just the anesthesia.
    He's gorgeous, such a doofy face, I bet he's great fun.
    I took the cone /collar off while I could watch the dogs, put them on at night. Once he's over the first day or 2 hell be back to normal.

mymo wrote: »
    I highly recommend the inflatable collars, I've used mine on all the dogs, for various ops.
    He'll be a bit dopey when you pick him up, he'll sleep a lot for 24hrs, might not eat much so don't worry, it's just the anesthesia.
    He's gorgeous, such a doofy face, I bet he's great fun.
    I took the cone /collar off while I could watch the dogs, put them on at night. Once he's over the first day or 2 hell be back to normal.
    Thanks,
    I'll ask the receptionist at the vets for an inflatable when collecting him,
    He is great fun sits on my lap like a baby and will steal the television remote or T-towel from the kitchen counter then wait for a chase around the back garden; wont damage the item atall just wants a chase for 15-20 minutes then gives it back,
    Not a bit of harm in him atall, we have three kids aged 5-13 and he enjoys spending time with them too. Found my mobile phone in his bed last week; he took it off the coffee table in the living room lol kids thought he wanted to watch YouTube at night.
    He normally sleeps in the kitchen at night and sits on the sofa with the kids during the day, well toilet trained

He's home now; he's giving a few groans to communicate and whispering a little everytime he breathes outwards,
    The receptionist asked if we wanted a cone or an inflatable collar;
    So I got the inflatable and secured it to his collar;
    He reached out to me for a hug when we got home and hes sleeping on the sofa now with the wife,
    Glad to be home I'm sure,

They gave us the wrong lead home but it's ok worse if it was the wrong dog lol
    He's not to be walked for ten days so I'll have a replacement from Amazon in that time frame

He's had a sleep for a while there, he's on his feet now but just standing looking around the room,
    He's not looking to move around anywhere just looking around,
    Offered him his bowl with some water but he's not interested,
    Is whimpering the odd time but seems fine just confused and maybe still tired, he's nervous when hearing a noise,
    One of the kids was coming down the stairs there and he stepped back over to be next to me,
    Going to a long night on the sofa with this lad I think

He got his sense of smell back at around 2am had him o the lead out the back garden for a while to go toilet,
    His tails started to come up a bit again but it's not fully in the air just yet,
    He's started to wag a bit when petted and was cleaning himself at 4am there.

First feed since 18:00 Sunday night will be at 10am today,
    Bought some Naturo foil wrapped trays to give him food the next week instead of his usual Gains big fog dry food as theres less crunching on it while hes recovering,

Hes had the Naturo trays once or twice a week before; after extra long walks (15-20km) to simulate catching some duck of chicken while out on that journey.
    He usually sleeps on the sofa for a bit then,
    Wont be walking anywhere now for another nine days,

The operation wasnt that expensive neither at €120 for the vasectomy; cant see it being very profitable for the vets; which leads me to believe that they are genuinly talking in the interests of the pet when they recommend having it done if there not going to be breeding, just my opinion though.

Advertisement