Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lie Nielsen router plane

Options
  • 19-06-2020 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Hi lads and ladies
    My wife kindly bought me a lie Nielsen router plane for my birthday. It went missing in the post from USA and so they dispatched a second, which arrived about a month late. The other plane showed up the other day after being god knows where for 2.5 months.

Anyway I now have two Identical planes. I’d be keen to try a swap here if anyone has something of similar value that they aren’t using/ have spare. I parted with about 160 euro but precise value not important.

Otherwise I’ll probably stick on adverts and buy something else handtooly at some point.

I’ll post a pic or two shortly

Comments

BackInTown wrote: »
    Hi lads and ladies
    My wife kindly bought me a lie Nielsen router plane for my birthday. It went missing in the post from USA and so they dispatched a second, which arrived about a month late. The other plane showed up the other day after being god knows where for 2.5 months.

Anyway I now have two Identical planes. I’d be keen to try a swap here if anyone has something of similar value that they aren’t using/ have spare. I parted with about 160 euro but precise value not important.

Otherwise I’ll probably stick on adverts and buy something else handtooly at some point.

I’ll post a pic or two shortly

If the seller was good enough to send you a replacement, I think the fair minded man would ask them to arrange a UPS or Fedex pickup so you can send the second one back.

You won’t gain, they won’t lose out and both of you can feel better about the good nature of people despite the postal service getting in the way at times.

Now if you offered to return it and they said not to bother that’s a different situation entirely but the value is sufficient I’d be surprised to hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

JayZeus wrote: »
    If the seller was good enough to send you a replacement, I think the fair minded man would ask them to arrange a UPS or Fedex pickup so you can send the second one back.

You won’t gain, they won’t lose out and both of you can feel better about the good nature of people despite the postal service getting in the way at times.

Now if you offered to return it and they said not to bother that’s a different situation entirely but the value is sufficient I’d be surprised to hear it.

Fair comment, appreciated and I’ve contacted them, [though lost parcel was their responsibility and would be insured against]. I was assuming they would not be interested in arranging returns based on cost, my previous experiences with e-commerce, and the challenge the company would have refunding the duty I paid. Better to be sure. I’ll repost an update when I hear.

BackInTown wrote: »
    Fair comment, appreciated and I’ve contacted them, [though lost parcel was their responsibility and would be insured against]. I was assuming they would not be interested in arranging returns based on cost, my previous experiences with e-commerce, and the challenge the company would have refunding the duty I paid. Better to be sure. I’ll repost an update when I hear.

Fair play to you.

I thought I'd update this thread as this was finally resolved.

After a long and rather arduous communication process (though I must say always polite, courteous etc), the router plane was sent to a distributor in the UK, and the duty and P&P were refunded. I struggle to see how it made financial sense for anyone involved but I am glad to get it sorted.

Thanks for the suggestion @jayzeus

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭bamayang

How is the actual plane you kept, are they worth it?

• Advertisement

I have found it to be great. I am using mostly hand tools and following some of Seller's projects, and designing some of my own. And it's really nice in that situation to be able to form tenons etc. in very controlled way. As for a comparison to any other router plane, I don't have a reference point as this is my first.

The only other reference I have is a 15 year old Makita handheld power router. To be honest I don't use this tool if I can avoid it. That is mostly due to dust (i've no extraction), noise, and my fear of thing.

Advertisement