Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Workshop vacuum

Options
  • 07-06-2020 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭

Hi folks
    Looking for recommendation for a workshop vacuum
    Just starting out, but have quite a bit of equipment at my disposal, so primarily want a vaccum to go between table saw and mitre saw. one of those automatic on/off ones would be good
    Budget is small!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

boomdocker wrote: »
    Hi folks
    Looking for recommendation for a workshop vacuum
    Just starting out, but have quite a bit of equipment at my disposal, so primarily want a vaccum to go between table saw and mitre saw. one of those automatic on/off ones would be good
    Budget is small!

You need a dust extractor for the mitre saw and a chip extractor for the table saw.A vacuum would clog up continuously on a table saw due to its small hose.
    After that its down to your budget and quality of air filtration. The more expensive vacuums have a filter inset in the body of the vacuum which is good but takes up space. At the cheaper end the 'Numatic' vacuums ( made in the UK ) are excellent and while they have a simple membrane filter they are powerful and can be had with automatic switching. Have look at www.axminster.co.uk

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭brane.nikic87

I have one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Einhell-TC-VC-1930-Vacuum-Cleaner/dp/B00JXKNBFY/ref=psdc_3576389031_t1_B00BNTUA2K?th=1

It's a 1500W vacuum and I have two old style diapers between the filter and the container to stop fine dust from clogging the filter. I am using it on my table saw, mitre saw, planner/thickener and it doesn't clog. It also has a auto start function so it will start together with the machine.

Which make and model tablesaw? Same question for the miter saw.

Do you need lots of capacity or just good extraction? Is it safe to assume they’re only used now and again for a while at a time?

Answer those and we can give better advice. Some saws need a shop grade extractor, some will do fine with a shop vac or a dust separator inline.

I have a Makita 2704 saw and a Makita 1040LF miter saw connected to a Dust Deputy style cyclone with a basic enough second hand 1800W Miële hoover running that and it works great.

If I had a cabinet saw and overhead dust extraction on a blade guard, or had an enclosed chute/hood behind a miter saw, a real dust extractor would make more sense. But for my needs, it works well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

Thanks

@JayZeus - its an Einhell table saw - like this one: https://www.einhell.co.uk/shop/en-uk/tc-ts-2025-1-u.html

Need good extraction over large capacity, only using now and again for short periods

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭chillyspoon

+1 to JayZeus' comments above.

I have a couple of set ups but one of them would definitely suit your needs. It's a compromise solution but that's always the way with the budget options. It's a Lidl Parkside 1500w wet and dry vac (with power take off - PNTS 1500 D5) running through a cheap cyclone separator that I got from Banggood.com. I have yet to change the bag on the Lidl vac after a year in use, even fine MDF dust ends up in the separator bucket:

https://www.chillyspoon.com/blog/2019/8/11/adding-a-cheap-dust-cyclone

I also have one of those Einhell saws by the way that I keep up in the farm yard for occasional outdoor work, and I'm sorry to say that no amount of dust extraction will make it a clean saw, they fire dust all over the place even with an extractor on-board. First thing I'd recommend doing there is to build a base cabinet for it to enclose the bottom (i.e. get rid of the included metal stand).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭boomdocker

many thanks
    Looks like a 30l 1500w wet/dry vac to start with a cyclone added is my best bet

Advertisement