Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying during the Covid19 pandemic

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 68 ✭✭Cuir_Cosc_Orm

301? I don't think he'll have to wait 10 years!:D

You may laugh now but you never know with this virus!

How stupid will next years number plates look, 211!
    That's if any new cars are sold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭begbysback

One could also say that only those over 70 or immuno suppressed should be isolated and everything else operate as normal but practicing social distancing strictly.

It may sound harsh but the cure seems more destructive than the virus.

Agreed, though they would need to be subsidized by the tax payer, but it’s better than the current situation. I do hope WHO take the initiative here with regards to lifting restrictions, as some of our representatives seem to be only too happy to keep us locked up for the foreseeable future.

But situations like this are a prime example of how things can return to some normality.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

So I can theoretically order a car, get it delivered then on the 13th day return it for a full refund?

I always wanted a new Lexus to sit outside my house for 13 says!

Yes and if you have enough cash, you'll be waiting for the refund from the 1st dealer, you can order another one from a different dealer and return it after 14 days. Cheaper than a rental, only pity is that you can't go anywhere.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Yes and if you have enough cash, you'll be waiting for the refund from the 1st dealer, you can order another one from a different dealer and return it after 14 days. Cheaper than a rental, only pity is that you can't go anywhere.

What a great idea!

But we can't go anywhere anyway!

I could gave one of all the Lexus models on my drive way and send them back after the 14 day cooling off distance selling period.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

As per other thread I'm in the process of buying a new car off a dealer. I have been on email/phone to a number of dealers all whom using various apps, emails, photos etc were able to give me a price on my trade-in.
    Then using the brochures etc were able to let me pick the spec and options and get final quotes back.
    They can access the various loan companies and get the numbers from there then.

No garage can close the deal as you can't test drive or view the cars and they aren't expecting you to.

The process has worked very well and I've had great response from the various dealers who are "open".
    They won't be delivering any cars as their premises are closed until the lock down is lifted.

Your option is to secure with a refundable deposit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,184 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

So I can theoretically order a car, get it delivered then on the 13th day return it for a full refund?

I always wanted a new Lexus to sit outside my house for 13 says!

Provided you return it unused and in the original packaging!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,691 ✭✭✭michellie

Being open online is not the same as being open on site!

I know that. They're taking bookings for viewings /video sales and are on site. Few of them contacting me regularly as they have sold cars and want to know when they can be registered.

Marcusm wrote: »

I was just wondering there if one was to buy a VAG and avail of their "0% finance" (in brackets because the cost of credit is in built in the price of the car) then get it delivered and within 14 days return it under the change of mind distance selling and get a refund by the dealer, would one have 0% credit from VAG bank ?

As contractally VAG bank loans you money to pay the dealer and the dealer then refunds you.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭whippet

I was just wondering there if one was to buy a VAG and avail of their "0% finance" (in brackets because the cost of credit is in built in the price of the car) then get it delivered and within 14 days return it under the change of mind distance selling and get a refund by the dealer, would one have 0% credit from VAG bank ?

As contractally VAG bank loans you money to pay the dealer and the dealer then refunds you.

far too much time on your hands I think

As long as you didn't drive the car maybe - and then what does the terms and conditions of the finance package that you signed say with regards to disposal of the asset that the finance was forwarded upon?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,872 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Marcusm wrote: »

Nothing here saying that. You seem to be confusing change of mind returns, where the retailer can impose any conditions vs distance selling returns.

To cancel the contract, you must inform the trader of the decision to cancel using either the prescribed cancellation form, or some other method, before the cooling-off period expires. There is no requirement to give a reason for cancelling. ...........

Cancellation will not be accepted in certain cases including where:

The provision of services have already begun with your agreement
    The price of the goods or services is dependent upon financial market fluctuations that are beyond the trader's control
    The goods cannot be returned because they were made according to your specifications or were personalised for you
    The goods are liable to deteriorate or expire rapidly
    The goods seals have been broken by you and cannot be returned for health protection and hygiene reasons
    The goods are audio/video tapes or computer software whose seals have been broken by you
    The goods are newspapers or magazines
    The goods were purchased at a public auction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

With a credit agreement in Ireland you have 10 days to re consider, but unless you opt out of that you have to wait the 10 days until you take the car. You can’t “distance” sign a finance agreement so it won’t work unfortunately.

Try go out and sun bath it sounds like you’re lacking a bit of vitamin D

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Rusky rusky

L-M wrote: »
    With a credit agreement in Ireland you have 10 days to re consider, but unless you opt out of that you have to wait the 10 days until you take the car. You can’t “distance” sign a finance agreement so it won’t work unfortunately.

Try go out and sun bath it sounds like you’re lacking a bit of vitamin D
    Yes, for VW PCP you either sign a waiver or wait for 2 weeks.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Nothing here saying that. You seem to be confusing change of mind returns, where the retailer can impose any conditions vs distance selling returns.

Ref 20(6)(b) makes the consumer liable for any finished value as a result of handling them which I would expect includes driving a car. If you’re liable for the reduction in value (evident upon registration and running up miles) then I think it’s a non-runner. The value would likely also reduce merely as a result of registration even if not driven but I don’t think this is recoverable from the consumer.

(6) A consumer who is required to return goods to a trader following the exercise of the right to cancel—

(a) shall take reasonable care of the goods prior to returning them, and

(b) is liable for any diminished value of the goods resulting from the handling of the goods beyond that necessary to establish their nature, characteristics and functioning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

Anyone noticing car prices going down, specifically from 2nd hand dealers? Would think they need to shift stock at the moment to keep business afloat

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭deandean

Can't say I have noticed any reduction in used car prices. But I am wondering will there be a big return of company cars to the used car market as a result of loss of employment. I read that one in five companies in the country has laid off all its workforce! Not to be taking advantage of this horrible situation etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

deandean wrote: »
    Can't say I have noticed any reduction in used car prices. But I am wondering will there be a big return of company cars to the used car market as a result of loss of employment. I read that one in five companies in the country has laid off all its workforce! Not to be taking advantage of this horrible situation etc.

No me either just wondering if anyone has noticed it out of interest.

Feel bad for the smaller dealers who can't operate or having a hard time selling at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

I've been looking at a few cars for a while now and have started to see price cuts. Now, I saw a few price cuts in the first two weeks or March but nothing since. I expect they'll drop further the longer this drags out. I'll be maybe looking to buy something come september time. Where I was looking at 181 now I'll be looking at 192 reg for the money.

Given that few sales can be put through I’d be surprised at seeing many dealers plump for price cuts until the lockdown finishes.

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭xboxdad

The only thing I noticed is that my dealer just doesn't want to have anything to do with me.
    They have the car I want, but took me 2 weeks to get them send me bank details to pay the 500 EUR deposit.
    ...they didn't even bother sending me a confirmation they received it.
    It doesn't seem anybody is putting any effort into anything right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I'm looking at trading in my car for something bigger in May/June(3rd child on the way), I'm worried now that dealers will give me well below it's current value with the excuse that they won't be able to sell it on themselves

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,672 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I'm looking at trading in my car for something bigger in May/June(3rd child on the way), I'm worried now that dealers will give me well below it's current value with the excuse that they won't be able to sell it on themselves

you should net out the same, worse trade in, better 'deal' on new car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,985 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Cyrus wrote: »
    you should net out the same, worse trade in, better 'deal' on new car.

Hopefully that's the case, guess I will see in May when I start talking to dealers

• Registered Users Posts: 23,260 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

xboxdad wrote: »
    The only thing I noticed is that my dealer just doesn't want to have anything to do with me.
    They have the car I want, but took me 2 weeks to get them send me bank details to pay the 500 EUR deposit.
    ...they didn't even bother sending me a confirmation they received it.
    It doesn't seem anybody is putting any effort into anything right now.

Feck them then. Let them keep it and sell it for less in a few months.
    Id be expecting immediate response to queries at the minute as all that needs is one guy taking emails.

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

Quick question lads.
    My car is absolutely knackered and looking to buy a new one rather than put more money in. I am located in Donegal and I see a couple in Dublin I would be interested in but just wondering with travel restrictions would going to Dublin for a car be essential?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,834 ✭✭✭User1998

Possibly if your an essential worker but even at that your really pushing it. Just wait till May 5th

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Quick question lads.
    My car is absolutely knackered and looking to buy a new one rather than put more money in. I am located in Donegal and I see a couple in Dublin I would be interested in but just wondering with travel restrictions would going to Dublin for a car be essential?

I'd doubt it very much. How would you plan to get to Dublin? Are trains and busses currently running on that route? I don't think they are but they could be for front line workers only? If your thinking of driving then I'd say you would be turned around at the first checkpoint on that route or at least one of them on the route once you leave your county. What happens if your car breaks down on the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 212 ✭✭davidfitz22

bazz26 wrote: »
    I'd doubt it very much. How would you plan to get to Dublin? Are trains and busses currently running on that route? I don't think they are but they could be for front line workers only? If your thinking of driving then I'd say you would be turned around at the first checkpoint on that route or at least one of them on the route once you leave your county. What happens if your car breaks down on the way?

Excellent point. I'm not pushed right now as it can wait. The few people I've been chatting to said otherwise and it seems like they are just pushing a sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If they are the dealers at the other side of the country telling you that and are so certain then let them meet you half or some of the way. I bet they wouldn't because they wouldn't get away with it.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Going to start looking for a second car now, new addition to the family due in Oct so need a second car for herself to scoot around in and also take all the usual bulk of items if we are visiting family outside of Dublin in the future.

Looking at an auto estate with reasonable mileage, 2015 - 2018 and have noticed a very slight drop in prices. Nothing huge, but €500 here, €1k there.

As much as I would like a great deal on a new car, I'd really hate to see people losing their jobs and mass closures across the motor industry, it just wouldn't sit well with me, so as tempted as I am to head across the water when the restrictions are lifted, I'll probably stay local.

Anyone have any idea when the forecourts might be opening up again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

ToxicPaddy wrote: »
    Going to start looking for a second car now, new addition to the family due in Oct so need a second car for herself to scoot around in and also take all the usual bulk of items if we are visiting family outside of Dublin in the future.

Looking at an auto estate with reasonable mileage, 2015 - 2018 and have noticed a very slight drop in prices. Nothing huge, but €500 here, €1k there.

As much as I would like a great deal on a new car, I'd really hate to see people losing their jobs and mass closures across the motor industry, it just wouldn't sit well with me, so as tempted as I am to head across the water when the restrictions are lifted, I'll probably stay local.

Anyone have any idea when the forecourts might be opening up again?
    the way prices are still quite up from dealers would suggest many would be backed by companies they sell of to tidy them up, so wouldnt be surprised that with billions printed there wouldn't be some stimulus going their way.

as yes lots of stock sitting but seeing little to no price drops - must mean they are kept afloat no ?, as seems little to no panic overall as of yet anyway, but sales for second quarter will see massive tank, if not for overall year going forward.

Advertisement