Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dreams (Media Molecule)

Options
  • 14-02-2020 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭

I have not been paying attention to the development of Dreams but somehow it released today or yesterday without me noticing.
    I like Media Moleclue as a developer with Little Big Planet and Tearaway , so I was interested to see just how deep their new tool engine is , and see the endless ideas and genres people would be able to create in the years to come .

Its getting Universal praise thus far with a 92 on Metacritic.

Has anyone tried the beta ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,407 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

Saw the metacritic reviews, it's getting universal acclaim. OK there was a 0/10 from a user but it was in Spanish and a user review. Looked at a bit of it on youtube and my initial impression was it wouldn't be a genre for me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,848 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'm just concerned about the amount of effort you'd need to put in to create your own games. It looks like a massive step up from Mario Maker or little big planet. I had fun with those but it's a huge investment of time to make games in those more simple design tools. Dreams looks way more complicated.

Still probably worth getting to see what people with way more time on their hands than me can do with it and the short media molecule campaign does look excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

Was going to create a thread on this over on the PS4 forum but noticed this here. Got my hands on this after seeing some of the videos about it online. I've got it mostly to play other people's projects, but having played through some of the tutorials it certainly seems to me that the depth of tools are there for people to create some serious things. Already after only 3 days there are some impressive demos and early workings of things. However I agree that you'd certainly want a lot of time on your hands to develop your own meaningful project. I'd imagine if you could master the tools you be able to whip up some basics games or levels in no time, but I think you'd be investing serious time into truly mastering the tools first

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Can you use this to make your own 3D animated short films? I'd be more interested in that than trying to make a game

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭tgdaly

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    Can you use this to make your own 3D animated short films? I'd be more interested in that than trying to make a game

I'm sure you can, they've included tools for people to make music, short films etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,828 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I think it would be good to see if making games is something you'd be interested in, or have the mental fortitude for. I might get it at some stage. Wonder what the licensing would be like. I'd be worried you'd create something brilliant (probably accidentally) but then stuck behind some legal Sony mumbo jumbo if you wanted to expand on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Just Completed the single player , took roughly about 2-3 hours to complete but wow what an experience that was . The tone of the game was something I was not expecting and the music was absoutely incredible . I have a feeling this game is going to fly under peoples radar which is such a shame . I highly recommend everyone to play it at somepoint . its already a Goty contender for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

I loved Half Life 1&2, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1&2 just for the mods.

This game is purely that. I am sure there'll be some amazing creations.

Is there multiplayer in it? How's the online handled, all via host or is there a server service?

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

BeerWolf wrote: »
    I loved Half Life 1&2, Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 1&2 just for the mods.

This game is purely that. I am sure there'll be some amazing creations.

Is there multiplayer in it? How's the online handled, all via host or is there a server service?

The online works very similar to Littlebigplanet , all created levels are broken up into genres so you can click the community tab of what genre you are looking for and can play seamlessly with others or by yourself. the game also supports local play up to 4 players.

Shuhei Yoshida said awhile back that dreams is a 10 year project but its really up to the community to keep creating levels for the game to have that longevity.

By far the most impressive levels I tried out so far are the P.T Demo and Fallout 4 .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Lone Stone

i got this have been just doing the tutorials here and there, i ordered some motion controllers and am trying to find a ps4 cam its shockingly hard to get any of these. The thought of 3d modelling and animating in my bed has me giddy with excitement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

As a consumer rather than creator, I haven't found anything that's much fun in this after playing a bunch of stuff. Lots of "very impressed that somebody made that" but absolutely no "this is actually fun to play on its own merits" with any interesting game ideas mired by extremely clunky mechanics, controls, lack of any gameplay balancing, major bugs, ending just as they're getting started etc etc

Obviously it's very early days (though people have been making stuff in the beta for some time) and I'll pop in now and then to see what's new, but this was kinda what I feared going in. Something like Mario Maker or LBP gives the constraints, and all of the detailed work of controls and gameplay feel, that allow players to go wild with level creation while still having solid core gameplay. This just gives too much freedom for the vast majority of people I think, as it's very easy to underestimate just how much art, science and sheer hard work goes into game development. And those with the skill and perseverance to make something really great, I don't know why they aren't already doing so with game engines like Unity that are freely available.

I don't regret buying it as I'm happy to support Media Molecule and I haven't jumped into Art's Dream yet which I'm sure will be great. But I'm not sure if it will retain the critical mass of users needed for longevity.

I got this and wow.... wow wow wow wow wow!
    This is amazing. I've not much interest in making a game, but the potential for making animated shorts does interest me and the design of this software is amazing.
    Like the previous poster I haven't played too many things that I thought were genuinely great but there's still loads of interesting curios.

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    ...the potential for making animated shorts...

Well now this is interesting. I think I may have to pick this up.

Well now this is interesting. I think I may have to pick this up.
    You really should! I'm addicted to it.

Ok, I finally splashed and spent the last hour or so watching the first few tutorials. The want to just try my arm are making something is strong, but there's so many tutorials I need to get through first, or I'll give up out of frustration.

Also torn between making a game or an animation... Still don't know how to do either, only figuring out how to hold, turn, twist, shape, clone objects. Looks like it will be a lot of learning, hope I can keep interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

I know that Dreams is certainly not for everyone but I really enjoy it. While I mostly play and look at what others have made I have found the tutorials incredibly fun to do, I tried my hand at making a few objects like a stacking rings toy ( it was on the floor in front of me one evening while I fired up Dreams) and while it is very basic I found the process to be incredibly fun.

Yeah, there is a lot to learn, and while it's very well explained, I've disabled the motion bar because motion control on the controller is meh. But all the instructions are for using the motion, so buttons are slightly different. Right now, I can't figure out how to zoom into the object while holding another object. All I can seem to do is zoom out from the object, or push the second object further into the background.

And that's my main complaint right now, it's not great with a controller. And Mm have come out and said they won't be bringing mouse support. Which is a shame. I'm tempted to try the 2 motion controllers to see if it's better, but I doubt that too. The game does say it was made with the PS4 motion controller in mind. Maybe I should it turn it back on and try to get used to it.

Haven't played anything yet, still doing tutorials in the create area. I will say, it does look very detailed and you can do a lot, I just don't know what 95% of the buttons do yet. I really, really hope I stick with it. But I also have a niggling in my mind saying "Why waste time making a game in something you can't release, when you can spend the same time learning Unity and actually releasing a game". Stupid mind.

Yeah, there is a lot to learn, and while it's very well explained, I've disabled the motion bar because motion control on the controller is meh. But all the instructions are for using the motion, so buttons are slightly different. Right now, I can't figure out how to zoom into the object while holding another object. All I can seem to do is zoom out from the object, or push the second object further into the background.

And that's my main complaint right now, it's not great with a controller. And Mm have come out and said they won't be bringing mouse support. Which is a shame. I'm tempted to try the 2 motion controllers to see if it's better, but I doubt that too. The game does say it was made with the PS4 motion controller in mind. Maybe I should it turn it back on and try to get used to it.

Haven't played anything yet, still doing tutorials in the create area. I will say, it does look very detailed and you can do a lot, I just don't know what 95% of the buttons do yet. I really, really hope I stick with it. But I also have a niggling in my mind saying "Why waste time making a game in something you can't release, when you can spend the same time learning Unity and actually releasing a game". Stupid mind.
    I would really recommend using the move controllers if you are creating stuff. It's initially difficult but once you get the hang of it it makes sculpting way easier.
    Stick with it. There's a lot of learning at the start, but it's really worth it in the long run. I'm having a blast with it

I'm currently making a sci-fi short film/music video.
    The following tutorial was a gamechanger for me in terms of creating architecture and cities really quickly. It's a fantastic concept ( modular construction )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭DeSelby83

Decided to try my hand at creating a scene the other day. I used mostly assets by other people but made a few tweaks to most things. Took me about 3 hours in total, was good fun and surprisingly easy once you get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,901 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Oh I might have to try this again. Haven't gone back to it since the above recommendation to learn it with the Move controllers, because I'm lazy, so this might spur me to give it another go.

For anyone that's interested at all I made a music video for one of my tracks in Dreams.
    I didn't make the music in Dreams.
    It's fairly abstract and ambient.

Advertisement