Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dark - Netflix

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,589 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

When I find myself getting up an hour earlier than usual to fit in an episode before work, then it's usually a good barometer of a series. The last series I did that for was Chernobyl.

Both series are meticulously written and challenging for the viewer. I'm only 1 and a half series in but this is gripping in the way good drama should be. The writers are often threading a fine line on plausibility but always fall on the right side. The acting is excellent across the board.

This was a really great interview with the Director and Writer which gave a good insight in to their line of thinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

3.2: Ok. Still a lot of unknown I think. I guess. I'm not sure.

Those 3
    guys (same guy) turning up for the murders. Oh the show production values is doing them really well. Terrifying atmosphere!

Sad moment when
    the daughter was murdered with the pillow and the mother found out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Hrududu

Remember when Mikkel being Jonas's father seemed complicated? I look back at those innocent days and see myself as a sweet summer child

I enjoyed series 3 but I felt it wasn't as strong as the earlier two. I felt things got incredibly convoluted. Not that it was ever a simple, easy to understand show before.
    Things I didn't enjoy:

1. Too much time with Jonas/Martha being lectured by their older selves and being told what to do. And despite being lied to continuously by their older selves they would always just go ahead and do what they were told

2. Characters that were important earlier on not being around much. We saw very little of Mikkel. Noah didn't really show up until half way through

3. Not really understanding how the knot was broken this time around. When Claudia comes to Adam she tells him this is the first time they've had this conversation. She talks him into intervening at the moment of the apocalypse to get Jonas, and bring him to the alt world, with the intention of using their apocalypse to jump into the origin world. Once he does this he finds alt Eva and they have a chat. She knows he's there to kill her because she remembers being younger Martha, seeing Eva dead and this being the reason she turns against Adam. Only this time Adam doesn't kill her. But the only reason Adam is in the alt world at all is because Claudia had the chat with him. So how could he have been there before to kill Eva if Claudia had never had that chat with him in earlier cycles?

Christ just typing that out hurts my head.

4. In Season 1 the big shock was Mikkel being Jonas's father. In Season 2 it was Elisabeth and Charlotte being each others mothers. But in Season 3 we get a good clear shot of a family tree early on so we could see how everyone was related. We were getting acres of plot just handed to us. And they never actually got around to showing these things happening until about 2 episodes before the end. They all got rushed while we're pausing and thinking "Ok so Bartosz is Noah and Agnes's father..." press play "...oh Tronte is Regina's father..." pause "...but that means Tronte is Bartosz grandfather, and also his grandson..." play "...wait Martha and Jonas have an infinity baby?..." pause "....Tronte is NOT Regina's father?" And so on. It was information overload

Things I did enjoy:
    1. Seems wrong to say I enjoyed this, but that entire scene in the caravan when Elisabeth came home alone and found the intruder. I spent the entire scene completely tensed.

2. Similarly. Katharina's demise had me watching in horror. Scenes like this and the last one were so well done. They reminded me of the horror of watching Ulrich when he attacked young Helge.

3. Claudia. Queen. I loved her 80s fashions and the fact that she was smarter than everyone else at all times. Memories of her showing up in the 2019/2020 timeline. Discovering what the internet was and using it to google for information. Adapts and learns all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,277 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

So I remember watching episode one when it was originally released not knowing anything about the show bar some kid goes missing and gave up half way through thinking I can't be arsed with a foreign thriller/missing kid show
    Coupla days ago saw a Guardian (I think it was) review about season 3 and totally singing its praises - didn't even realise it was about time travel when watching that first episode

But by god, after binge watching the first 2 seasons, my mind is blown.
    I don't know if I've got in me right now to watch season 3 while my brain tries to sort out everything that has happened so far
    This is up there with my favourite shows like Person of Interest

Someone please tell me there is a satisfying ending....

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Glad I'm not the only one who found it difficult to follow at times. Was happy with how it ended but I felt like a lot of the content of s3 was overly convoluted and at times I found it hard to really care.
    the amount of people who were killed, then seemingly contued on regardless really melted my brains! Hard to care about somone dying when it seemingly has no consequences. Took me a minute to understand the gravity of Katherina being killed because it actually was final.

S1 and 2 are amongst the best television Netflix has produced, s3, while not terrible, is not up to the same standard.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,989 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Just finished the 3rd season after binging all 3 during the last couple of weeks.
    Season 1 was slow to start to start but when it got going it really drew me in. Season 2 was okay. Season 3 was better than 2 but not as good as 1. I had a few problems with the show, first was the amount ponderous exposition that added nothing to the story. I guess the writers thought that it sounded cool and added atmosphere. Far too many scenes with Jonas and Martha looking at each other not saying much and just crying, it lost its dramatic effect after 3rd or 4th time. When the origin was finally revealed I felt it made a lot of the events of Season 2 and 3 seem pointless. Despite all this I thought overall it was a good show and possibly worth a rewatch in future to pick up on the details I missed first time round.

3.3: What the f***! I think that maybe the writers were like.. let's givem a lil hope they have a clue what's going on... Until episode 3... but like.. I guess they took
    one world before this and went all in. Why would'nt they go all in on two worlds!

So yeah, that's a pretty solid hook! Need to know! :)

Yeah, I dunno..I thought season 2 was a bit dragged out, and just found I'd not much interest at all in the last season..
    It was a struggle..I checked a few minutes into ep 7 to see what was left and was just glad there wasn't another 5 episodes..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Relikk

Far too many scenes with Jonas and Martha looking at each other not saying much and just crying, it lost its dramatic effect after 3rd or 4th time.

Yeah, that got tiresome. It reminded me how irritating Star Trek Discovery season 2 was with the amount of it there as well (apart from the horrendous writing and just how bad it was in general).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭ManOfMystery

Finished s3 tonight. Just superb all round, and I mean from s1 right up to the finale. The level of detail and complication in the storyline is astounding. With that in mind, I thought they did a thoroughly good job of tying up the story neatly and also doing justice to most of the characters, even if the ending was a little bittersweet.

I think some rewatches will be warranted. I’m already seeing a lot of things on social media which show how well the writers planned all this out - such as way back
    when Bartosz is in the lake in with the others and tells them the story of the lady in the dress at the bottom of it, all of them unaware it’s their own mother lying down there after she was killed by HER mother. Crazy stuff.

• Advertisement

I'm not really reading the thread for season 3 but...
    Jonas was killed in episode 5 at an early age - how the hell can he exist in the future/older age????

No spoiler please - watching episode 6 now...

So to answer my own question
    Alternative reality - hmmm - went along with alternative worlds but alternative reality on the same world? Show jumped the shark on that one

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Goddammit that was the best thing I've ever watched. I'm gutted and relieved it's over, I don't think my brain could take any more! I cant remember being so happy with an ending either.

Even when I hadn't a clue what the hell was going on it was still enthralling. There was that constant sense of foreboding. Such a well made show in every sense.

I'll give it a few days but cant wait to rewatch it.

3.4: I mean like.. Adam
    makes it sound like he's clearing things up by saying it's the kid of Jonas and Martha but I'm not getting it. I assume some technology will be involved and it's still unclear how it could have begun. Also still unclear as to why the second world apocolypse seemed so much worse

Powerful scene in the doctors waiting room with the young girl

3.5: Whew! :eek: It's over!
    Jeez, I thought the scene in the camper van was violent.
    :eek:
    Then robbing the mother at knife point turning into being killed by the mother!
    Then the 3 .. well 4 Marthas and then Jonas is dead... but like he's supposed to be Adam. Like how's this gonna pan out.

So many questions!

Slydice wrote: »
    3.5: Whew! :eek: It's over!
    Jeez, I thought the scene in the camper van was violent.
    Then robbing the mother at knife point turning into being killed by the mother!
    Then the 3 .. well 4 Marthas and then Jonas is dead... but like he's supposed to be Adam. Like how's this gonna pan out.

So many questions!

Man, it's so good. Seriously, make the last episode an event when you get to it! I'm struggling to think of another show that had such a satisfying ending.

Rewatching the whole thing is bananas with the knowledge of whats going on!! :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finally popped on episode 1 of Season 3 and ah, Dark, I missed you. That constant sense of teetering on the very edge of bewilderment, but never dropping over the edge; all the while loving the swagger and heady sense of the European this show always had. I'd struggle to get behind an English language remake 'cos in many ways the deep apocalyptic foreboding threaded throughout feels at home in the Germanic setting (or at least a stereotypical version of it).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

Dark is an absolute masterpiece by which future shows will be judged. I am going to watch the finale again today, after watching it last night.

Homelander wrote: »
    Dark is an absolute masterpiece by which future shows will be judged. I am going to watch the finale again today, after watching it last night.

I agree. It's a shame that so many people don't know of it or choose to ignore because it's not an English speaking show. My sister skipped past it until I told her to give a couple of episodes a chance, she's now hooked and working through S2.

The finale showed how to tie up a show properly (GoT, take note) .... yet the show will never have the mass popularity of something like GoT. It might if they remade it in UK/America, but then it will likely lose much of its magic.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,158 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The finale showed how to tie up a show properly (GoT, take note) .... yet the show will never have the mass popularity of something like GoT. It might if they remade it in UK/America, but then it will likely lose much of its magic.

And probably be stretched out to 8 seasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

I devoured season 3 - have been watching Dark since it was released, complete fluke I ended up watching it.

Such a well made and thought out show, from start to finish. Thoroughly satisfying ending.

If you like this then you should watch the Leftovers. Another masterpiece of television.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 the sword

I would rank it as the most satisfying show I have watched from start to finish, it wasn't dragged out in my opinion and handled aspects of time travel perfectly.

My only complaint would be the volume of characters in the final season was slightly hard to follow, but nonetheless great.

A english language remake wouldn't be the same, the simplistic German town setting was perfect. Usually with these type shows in the US, there is a shadowy government conspiracy at the end of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

the sword wrote: »
    My only complaint would be the volume of characters in the final season was slightly hard to follow, but nonetheless great.

True, I found it hard to keep track also but it was worth it in the end.

A english language remake wouldn't be the same, the simplistic German town setting was perfect. Usually with these type shows in the US, there is a shadowy government conspiracy at the end of it all.

Agreed. The closest they'd get with an American version would be some remote North American (Alaska for example) setting but I just couldn't see it working the same, the Germanic feel, background and tone throughout Dark were part of the reason it worked so well.

3.6: :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Finished it and it was a top class show. Once again I got absolutely lost but no matter how lost you get it manages to find it's way to explain itself that everything clicks together for you. I will probably watch season 3 again.

Such a pity so many people I know won't bother their arse because it's in German. It will definitely get an anerican re-make. You could easily see it set in somewhere like Wisconsin. Something similar to Fargo. If they get the same people involved in the re-make it could work but you just know they will give it to someone that will try put their own stamp on it and make a balls of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

pixelburp wrote: »
    Finally popped on episode 1 of Season 3 and ah, Dark, I missed you. That constant sense of teetering on the very edge of bewilderment, but never dropping over the edge; all the while loving the swagger and heady sense of the European this show always had. I'd struggle to get behind an English language remake 'cos in many ways the deep apocalyptic foreboding threaded throughout feels at home in the Germanic setting (or at least a stereotypical version of it).

I dropped over the edge of bewilderment quite a few times in s3, which was a whole different league of complex than what went before.

I enyoyed it, and the end was satisfying, but I felt it was a good bit poorer than the rest. Some scenes, phrases, images and the rain - oh, the rain - were overdone, and they dragged for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭Homelander

There's a Danish show on Netflix called "The Rain", really enjoyed the first season until the very end when it went down a video-game style path like that...killed it stone dead for me, didn't watch the 2nd season.

Thinking of starting Twin Peaks now after watching Dark. Crops up a good bit on lists of things to check out along with the Leftovers, which I've already seen. Fantastic show as well though not as emotionally crippling as Dark in my opinion.

3.7: Questions being answered here. What happened to who and stuff but
    that looked like the current-most-furtherest-along Adam/Jonas shown to be wrong but then Claudia who is-she-still working for Eve turns up and is it for her plan or Eves or is there something more going on.
    All this including a fair few :eek: moments.

• Advertisement

Slydice wrote: »
    3.7: Questions being answered here. What happened to who and stuff but
    that looked like the current-most-furtherest-along Adam/Jonas shown to be wrong but then Claudia who is-she-still working for Eve turns up and is it for her plan or Eves or is there something more going on.
    All this including a fair few :eek: moments.

1 left. Get ready for it! :D

Advertisement