Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Home FAQ

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

Nest hello doorbell? Might be best to ask in the dedicated thread for that.

Probably should do that, thanks, I think I've found the answer, in that no you can't :(

https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/11003315?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭jogdish

Asked my G home hub for a phone number, and I noticed the button to 'call them', I tapped it and it gave me instructions about the app - which I could not follow, other than seeing duo calling.

Is this actual phone calling or will it just give me an error that the business doesnt have Duo ? Are the calls free?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Assume if the recipient had duo it would have dialled.....duo calls are free.

I think it uses your Google contacts and will put it over Duo, my wife rang me via the Hub the other day, very strange getting a call from yourself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

RTE Gold not playing on home hub this weekend
    All other RTE stations seem to work

Would anyone mind testing if it works for them or is it just me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Might be related.

https://twitter.com/RTEGold/status/1269931596154535936

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,297 ✭✭✭Gooey Looey

After a few years I've decided to get rid of my 3x Google homes (display, mini and full size). They're going backwards, they used to work fine but are now so buggy and troublesome that I've no longer an interest in them. I've never fully integrated them with home assistant like I wanted to and now Amazon looks like the better option. I'm gonna order an Alexa later today and make a start the changeover.

After a few years I've decided to get rid of my 3x Google homes (display, mini and full size). They're going backwards, they used to work fine but are now so buggy and troublesome that I've no longer an interest in them. I've never fully integrated them with home assistant like I wanted to and now Amazon looks like the better option. I'm gonna order an Alexa later today and make a start the changeover.
    Hey,
    So you are basically me two weeks ago, I own 3 minis a Home and a Hub. Found them to be getting worse in terms of mic pick up, understanding of questions etc and personally the rte radio issue
    - currently RTE gold won't work, drives me nuts.

So I bit the bullet and got an Alexa, just one. Up side is it plays RTE radio quickly and has always worked thus far. However from time to time it ends up taking RTE radio1 from TuneIn rather than RTE not sure why.
    Now the downsides - none of which are fatal but it's not all sunshine:
    • Alexa's natural voice is not natural, Googles is so much more 'human'
    • You think Google has issues parsing natural language for questions, Alexa is worse and point blank won't even try for some.
    • The thing of adding skils is kinda annoying, I don;t want to hunt down the skill for the thing, I just want the assistant to do what I ask (i know how I sound). For example I can't just ask play radio, that first neeed the rte radio 'skill'.
    • I miss the touch wheel volume up/down and the tap to mute/pause/stop from my Home.
    Neither are the dream :( - if you want to ask a question about Alexa/Google since I have both happy to help, but im by no means an expert and have no smart lights/home integration.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 6,246 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sheep Shagger

Nope not working for me when I just tried assume its because of what explained in the tweet notes below.

Same happened to Global UK statikns a while back but now Google smart speakers pull the stream from the global player and not tunein.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

DopeTech wrote: »

Might be connected but I’m not convinced

Might be connected but I’m not convinced
    Hard to know, radio 1 has issues from time to time, so annoying - I switched to an Alexa cause I just got fed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

RTE 2fm still not working on any of my homes about 3 weeks later, just says cant be found or isn't available no matter what way its phrased! RTE Gold also not working. Might have to reset all my homes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭ilovesmybrick

RTE 2fm still not working on any of my homes about 3 weeks later, just says cant be found or isn't available no matter what way its phrased! RTE Gold also not working. Might have to reset all my homes

I'm having no joy with 2FM, but Gold is fine. However, I have noticed that the homes in other rooms are sometimes picking up commands that I'm giving to another device, so the one in my living room is hearing part of the command, and the one in the bedroom the rest, so they have a bit of a fit.

I noticed a (new?) setting the other day in the home app where you can adjust the sensitivity of each devices pickup, so it might be worth seeing if your commands are being picked up by different devices and split, making garbage of them.

2fm and Gold, neither working for me

I would have thought not being able to get 2FM on a Google Home device would be a great bonus and a feature :D

Looks like geo locking has been applied on RTE's streams now, maybe try disabling VPN if you are using it or changing the location to Ireland. https://support.google.com/googlenest/thread/50291505

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I'm not using a VPN,and RTE Gold doesn't work either - 2FM & Radio 1 work fine.

Gold works on TuneIn on my phone directly, on Google Home it just says that something went wrong

I'm not using a VPN,and RTE Gold doesn't work either - 2FM & Radio 1 work fine.

Gold works on TuneIn on my phone directly, on Google Home it just says that something went wrong

It appears that RTE dropped the MP3 stream for Gold. It’s only available as a HLS stream now - since about last Wednesday - and can’t be played on Google Home devices as a result.

re rte GOLD, a smart speaker to play a radio stream yet it's this complicated - insane

jogdish wrote: »
    re rte GOLD, a smart speaker to play a radio stream yet it's this complicated - insane

It’s all because RTE are involved

• Advertisement

It’s all because RTE are involved
    ha :)
    Well BBC sounds app doesn't work either.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭niloc1951

As of now. I'm getting all RTE, BBC and others on my phone using the Tune In App, on my Google Home Mini and Logitec radio, both of which use Tune In, it's the same EXCEPT no RTE Gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Just tried BBC radio one and works no problem.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

BBC Sounds is geo locked.

Just tried BBC radio one and works no problem.
    Had not tried in a while but BBC podcasts is working again?

And in typical Google fashion it's only sorta working, the latest episode is 3 days old sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Had not tried in a while but BBC podcasts is working again?

And in typical Google fashion it's only sorta working, the latest episode is 3 days old sigh

The radio station is working, for podcasts I use pocketcasts or Spotify and then connect to the home.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 19,017 ✭✭✭✭adox

I listen to BBC radio 6 regularly on Google Home without issue.

Hi,
    Just to clear up my complaint, I like to be able to ask the speaker to play the latest ep of bbc newshour podcast - this used to work a year ago.

Current issue is the ep is a few days old, I know I can stream from my phone but then its not a smart speaker. BBC radio works fine.

Do you have the google podcasts app on your phone? If you check in that what is the latest episode? With Joe Rogan after making a fortune on a Spotify subscription I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of podcasts are limiting their releases to their own network to maximise revenue

• Advertisement

Clareman wrote: »
    Do you have the google podcasts app on your phone? If you check in that what is the latest episode? With Joe Rogan after making a fortune on a Spotify subscription I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of podcasts are limiting their releases to their own network to maximise revenue
    Ya Google podcasts is just behind, so for a newspodcast it's basically useless

Advertisement