Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How did PCP work out in the end?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think the LCI model is due in the next few months. I wouldn't hold my breath on BMW offering 2.9%, I think the lowest they normally go is 3.9%.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think the LCI model is due in the next few months. I wouldn't hold my breath on BMW offering 2.9%, I think the lowest they normally go is 3.9%.

Before 2021?

Oh yeah ..just saw it's 3.9% on that link. I was looking at an older brochure from 2019 where it lists 2.9% APR https://www.discoverbmw.ie/191/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/191-5-Series.pdf :o

fifth wrote: »
    Before 2021?

Oh yeah ..just saw it's 3.9% on that link. I was looking at an older brochure from 2019 where it lists 2.9% APR https://www.discoverbmw.ie/191/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/191-5-Series.pdf :o

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/5-series/107482/new-2020-bmw-5-series-facelift-spotted-testing

Cheers all.

I'll be doing low mileage and mostly urban driving so the hybrid works and a low mileage plan suits me, I would do around 10,000km a year as I work from home.

Deposit wise, i'd kick in around 10/11k - so somewhere in the middle between min/max deposit. I'd have the cash in savings to buy it outright at the end but not sure I'd want to buy/roll into another or walk away yet. So having a higher GFMV doesn't bother me too much, and having the cash there if needed is preferable............

PCP on a 530e will be approx €40k over 3 years with €20k+ balloon payment.

I'd not pay €13k/annum in depreciation to drive 10k kms a year for 3 years and then have effectively nothing to show for it except an option to buy at €20k+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Augeo wrote: »
    PCP on a 530e will be approx €40k over 3 years with €20k+ balloon payment.

I'd not pay €13k/annum in depreciation to drive 10k kms a year for 3 years and then have effectively nothing to show for it except an option to buy at €20k+.

Then you probably shouldn’t buy a new car... lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,217 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

So I'm thinking of getting a new car for the first time and using PCP to finance it, in 2021.

I'm looking at a BMW 530e (or 545e if the rumours are true they will be adding this variant), M Sport, lci/facelift model.

Does anyone know if BMW's GMFV values have been adjusted to give a better chance of having some residuals left in the car when it comes time to trade in? I've read on here people who took low monthly PCP deals from 2016 onwards with BMW were left high and dry.
    That would be a poor choice.
    Get a used one from the UK, they depreciate heavily in year 1 and 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭carsfan2

5 series LCi is due to start production in July.
    As others have said including me, buying one new on pcp is not the cheapest option but may suit you.
    There is going to be a 520e and 320e too apparently.

This is a great source of future BMW info including start and end of production dates of all the models.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=901686

Buying a brand new 530e makes very little sense as depreciation is steep due to cheaper ones coming in from the UK. I do get it though that access to a brand new one via PCP is probably easier though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

If production on the LCI model is starting in July then possibly end of 2020, or Jan 2021 could look at importing a 2019 LCI from the UK either. I've enough to mull over now and I'll get some PCP figures as well from the dealership when they reopen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 567 ✭✭✭sdevine89

Seems to be a lot of knowledge in this thread so might as well ask. I am driving a 182 3 Series BMW. PCP deal ends in July 2021. I pay €757 a month and paid a deposit of €5,000. GMFV of €16k (can't dig out the exact number down to the euro right now on my phone).

I have no problem continuing with the payments thankfully at the moment but my question is more so is this a time to be looking to upgrade early and roll in to another PCP, or what would your game plan be? I still like the car etc but will want to certainly chance it in 12 months time.

That said, if I have made a mistake and been burned on depreciation etc, I will just finance the remaining 15k over 3 years with a bank loan, would be a lower monthly repayment and just keep driving the car. Ultimately I'm trying to make the best financial decision this time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

Well car sales are crippled and over the next 6 months I would expect to see multiple dealers close for good. If you want to buy new you will need a new deposit. Your equity as is nearly everyone's is zero.

You may have an option to hand the car back and buy the same age for less or a newer car for same if prices drop far enough. Food for thought. Bar that I would pay off and keep.

Edit, just seen its next year. I would try to save 200 to 300 each month or more if possible to take a chunk out of gmfv or use as deposit on next car. But its a long way off. No one can predict the state of global economy let alone the car segment.

sdevine89 wrote: »
    Seems to be a lot of knowledge in this thread so might as well ask. I am driving a 182 3 Series BMW. PCP deal ends in July 2021. I pay €757 a month and paid a deposit of €5,000. GMFV of €16k (can't dig out the exact number down to the euro right now on my phone).

I have no problem continuing with the payments thankfully at the moment but my question is more so is this a time to be looking to upgrade early and roll in to another PCP, or what would your game plan be? I still like the car etc but will want to certainly chance it in 12 months time.

That said, if I have made a mistake and been burned on depreciation etc, I will just finance the remaining 15k over 3 years with a bank loan, would be a lower monthly repayment and just keep driving the car. Ultimately I'm trying to make the best financial decision this time.

I'd say a BMW dealer will want very strong cost to change money as your 182 3 Series is probably the old model. The new model jumped significantly in price over the old model plus BMW dealers are not known for being charitable when it comes to pricing trade ins so you might not have much equity in your current car.

At the end of the day you need to work out how much the new car is actually costing you over the 3 years as these costs can easily be hidden in monthly figures which most people only focus on.

Can you be more specific on what model 3 series you bought?
    Also, are you someone who likes to change cars every few years or are you happy to keep a car for a long time? Do you like cars or is it just a way to get from A to B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,463 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

If its an old model 3 series, you wont be doing well by trading now or at end of term. If you bought the old model that late in its life, this is what is going to cost you money. If you have the new model (not sure when first available), you should do ok at end of term.

L-M wrote: »
    Then you probably shouldn’t buy a new car... lol

oh lol, we/ve a real smart arse don't we.
    I'd say you'd not be buying much new yourself either .........
    There are countless new cars that don't cost 40k over the first 3 years in depreciation BTW, I'd have thought a car sales professional would have realised that the 530e on PCP was appalling value. It mustn't have been in your training manual.

carsfan2 wrote: »
    Can you be more specific on what model 3 series you bought?
    Also, are you someone who likes to change cars every few years or are you happy to keep a car for a long time? Do you like cars or is it just a way to get from A to B?

182 BMW 318i 1.5litre. Black Sapphire & Black Dakota Leather. Automatic.

Professional Media Package (professional navigation system and digital cockpit), 17inch wheels, Reversing Camera, electric folding mirrors, sports seats, Park Distance Control (front and rear), Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Apple Car Play.

30,000km on the clock. (20,000km per year allowed)

This was my first car as it happens but generally with most things I'd like to keep pace when it comes to technology etc. I like my car, I like to keep it in good nick etc but I'm not the type who goes to Cars & Coffee etc. Being honest the tech and user interface in the car is probably more important to me than it's engine size or 0-100kmp/h time.

It has to have its first service soon so I'm going to ask Frank Keane what they think. Tbh I'm leaning towards just keeping it and financing the remaining 15,500. If I keep paying off at 800 a month I'd own it outright in no time.

This was my first car as it happens but generally with most things I'd like to keep pace when it comes to technology etc. I like my car, I like to keep it in good nick etc but I'm not the type who goes to Cars & Coffee etc. Being honest the tech and user interface in the car is probably more important to me than it's engine size or 0-100kmp/h time..

Most cars allow a smart phone to be plugged. The other stuff is flourish but doesn't change the car fundamentally. Car sounds great. I would drive and enjoy for many more years. If you want to change then start saving now to prepare for all eventualities. Whatever you do a pot of cash will ease the process considerably.

182 BMW 318i 1.5litre. Black Sapphire & Black Dakota Leather. Automatic.

Professional Media Package (professional navigation system and digital cockpit), 17inch wheels, Reversing Camera, electric folding mirrors, sports seats, Park Distance Control (front and rear), Adaptive LED Headlights, High-Beam Assistant, Apple Car Play.

30,000km on the clock. (20,000km per year allowed)

This was my first car as it happens but generally with most things I'd like to keep pace when it comes to technology etc. I like my car, I like to keep it in good nick etc but I'm not the type who goes to Cars & Coffee etc. Being honest the tech and user interface in the car is probably more important to me than it's engine size or 0-100kmp/h time.

It has to have its first service soon so I'm going to ask Frank Keane what they think. Tbh I'm leaning towards just keeping it and financing the remaining 15,500. If I keep paying off at 800 a month I'd own it outright in no time.
    Sounds like a lovely nicely specced car.
    the new G20 is a big improvement on the f30 and a lot more tech in it.
    If post lockdown , to promote sales BMW were offering deposit contributions and lower apr and you could get the 5k deposit back out of the car as equity it might be a good time to pounce on a deal and get into the current model.
    Otherwise hold on to what is a good car.

Really appreciate the feedback, thanks for taking the time to respond. I'll post up here if they make me an offer of a new car etc, in the mean time I'll get my saving boots on.

• Advertisement

Augeo wrote: »
    oh lol, we/ve a real smart arse don't we.
    I'd say you'd not be buying much new yourself either .........
    There are countless new cars that don't cost 40k over the first 3 years in depreciation BTW, I'd have thought a car sales professional would have realised that the 530e on PCP was appalling value. It mustn't have been in your training manual.

I wasn’t trying to be smart I was more having a go at the depreciation rate of any new car and it’s relative. Someone who can afford a 30k car to lose 15k is as much as someone who have afford a 60k car to lose 30.

I wasn’t trying to be smart I was more having a go at the depreciation rate of any new car and it’s relative. Someone who can afford a 30k car to lose 15k is as much as someone who have afford a 60k car to lose 30.

As someone who sells new and used cars, do you find people go in with their eyes open to big depreciation on new cars?
    Years ago I remember meeting people that would change every year for minimal outlay on say a golf or Passat maybe 3/4K punts at the time. Never had to pay for services or tyres and got that new car vibe every year. Back then fewer cars were sold so I suppose a good second hand one year old car was holding value. I don’t think it’s financially feasible to do that nowadays.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

As someone who sells new and used cars, do you find people go in with their eyes open to big depreciation on new cars?
    Years ago I remember meeting people that would change every year for minimal outlay on say a golf or Passat maybe 3/4K punts at the time. Never had to pay for services or tyres and got that new car vibe every year. Back then fewer cars were sold so I suppose a good second hand one year old car was holding value. I don’t think it’s financially feasible to do that nowadays.

That’s a good point about changing every year. I’d imagine on average a €40,000 car could be bought for €30,000 a year later. Not sure it makes sense to pay 10 grand every year for the pleasure of a new reg.

I think the days for trading up every year are for the most part gone. The cost to change figures have been increasing year in year out. In the old days you could trade up for maybe 2k or 3k but these days with new cars getting more expensive and cheaper imports making your car's value plummets even more means it would cost you 4k or 5k a year or even more if it's a premium brand.

At present, a new Passat Highline (Elegance) is 41k.

Look up a 191 Passat Highline, you’d probably get one for 29/30k if you’re lucky.

Taking margins into account even getting 11k off someone for 1 year it wouldn’t make sense.

That said a 3 year change could be done for maybe 18k.

Honestly the day of the “cash” buyer trading up 2/3 year’s on that kinda stuff is long gone.

Polos maybe, but that’s it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mailspaining

There's alot of knowledge and info in this thread so any thoughts on this would be welcome if you've a chance

One thing I'm looking at is Corolla Luna sport - sticker price €31,165. Have c. €5,000 deposit. Was looking at HP but chat with dealer makes me think PCP @ 3.9% might make more sense. I presume I can still negotiate the sticker price down?

Alternative might be HP or PCP on a 201 demo which has a €28,000 sticker price. I understand only offer PCP on demos.

So would I be better off with PCP on a new car or demo overall do you think?

Spoke to bank about mortgage before when I was paying €300 a month in a HP repayments, presume they don't car if it's HP or PCP once I show I can afford that amount per month?

• Advertisement

Mortgage shouldn’t matter whether it’s PCP or HP if you’re borrowing the same amount, they’re the same thing anyway.

The first part of your post is very confusing.

If you tell us what you’re buying it might help.

Car industry is likely to contract into the future as working from home and less need for a car becomes new normal. If zero equity is OK after 3 years then go for it if its financially better overall. I. E what's the total cost over the full term for pcp and hp if you pay everything off.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mailspaining

Mortgage shouldn’t matter whether it’s PCP or HP if you’re borrowing the same amount, they’re the same thing anyway.

The first part of your post is very confusing.

If you tell us what you’re buying it might help.

Thanks sorry I cleaned up the para in my post! One option is Corolla Luna sport but am looking around that 28/30k mark.

If the “sticker price” is the RRP and no discount, and the cost of the demo is 28000 there’s definitely a better deal to be had on the new car.

I don’t work for Toyota but surely you’d knock 1500 quid or more off the price of the new car.

If the final payment is the same on both, and the APR is the same, and you don’t care about the whole 201/202 plate thing well then the demo at say eve 1500 less could still be 45 euro a month cheaper and would be seriously better value . A new 202 car won’t be worth 1500 more than a 201 car in 3 years time.

My advice is ask the Dealer for a quote with the same deposit on both, the new and the demo.

Then go to another Toyota garage and get a quote for a new one (Basically off someone who isn’t biased and trying to flog a demo) and compare notes.

The first garage might be giving you nothing off the new car to make the demo car look competitive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There's alot of knowledge and info in this thread so any thoughts on this would be welcome if you've a chance

One thing I'm looking at is Corolla Luna sport - sticker price €31,165. Have c. €5,000 deposit. Was looking at HP but chat with dealer makes me think PCP @ 3.9% might make more sense. I presume I can still negotiate the sticker price down?

Alternative might be HP or PCP on a 201 demo which has a €28,000 sticker price. I understand only offer PCP on demos.

So would I be better off with PCP on a new car or demo overall do you think?

Spoke to bank about mortgage before when I was paying €300 a month in a HP repayments, presume they don't car if it's HP or PCP once I show I can afford that amount per month?

The thing I like to do personally is to look at car/cars I am interested in, then when sitting down, I would ask then to print out in detail what they offer me with a break down of deposit, monthly payments, apr values, balloon payment. So in your case, I would ask for it on both cars. Its not hard for dealer to do it. Then take it it with you, go to a nice pub/cafe during the day, sit down and go through numbers without any pressure.
    You can do maths on how much car will cost you in total. Important number to pay attention is not monthly payments, but over all cost. Newer car can have lower Apr or better deal, which will make new car same price or even cheaper in total.
    When looking at hp vs pcp, you need to do a bit more thinking on what suits you better. If you don't plan on changing car in next 5 years and want straight forward traditional finance, then hp might suit you, just keep in mind, hp finance has usually bigger apr.
    Pcp is handy if you not sure what you will do in 3 years, you might get an itch to change, or you will just keep the car, you will get better apr in general on new car with pcp. Pcp will have lower payments, which means you can open savings account and throw a few quid there each week for the next 3 years. When time comes, you can use that money to pay off car and own it ( at very least, you will have a good part of ballon saved up, and will need to refinance just a few grand ) or use that money for next cars deposit to keep same payments etc.

Whatever you do, don't make decision in front of salesman. Get your numbers printed out and have a good look at them at your own pace.

• Advertisement

So my turn to give my experience with pcp.

Bought brand new Seat ibiza cupra 171 for 24500eu in 2017, end of May.

3000eu scrapage for my 04 Alfa GT ( was worth less then a grand at best )
    3000eu cash added
    Deposit (6k eu)
    Monthly 272eu
    Balloon 8600 ish.
    0% apr.

Plan was completely pay off car in 3 years, so as soon as I got the car I made a savings account and started putting 50eu a week, later I got wage increase and started putting 70eu instead.
    Half way in got an itch to change to something with 4 doors as daughter started to get bigger. So plan was to get Leon cupra next. It was planned for March - April window of this year lol. We all know what happened.
    So when locked down kicked in, Hotel I worked in shut down and 350eu became my income. By that time I had 10k eu in that pcp saving account, so stopped putting money there. Decided to pay off my car when time comes, then see later this year how's work situation and then start looking.

Today was the day VW Bank took last 8.6k payment and I officially own my car and its fully payed off. Had zero stress and was fully prepared for worst case scenario. Which ironically happened.
    Already back to work since Monday too. So all back on track.

In the end, whats my opinion of pcp? Well, I fecking love it. Its my favourite way of buying cars now and if I can ill buy my next one on pcp again. It gives you a lot of freedom and options, if you undecided about next car or if you want to keep it or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭DrBass

Sorry lads...slightly off topic. Im looking to trade in my PCP.

The PCP is with VW finance (Audi Car). If I take my car to be valued at a VW dealership for example. Am I right in thinking they can pull all the data of the contract, like term, price paid, GMVF, amount owed etc from the car reg? Does this put me at a disadvantage form the offset when talking about trade in value?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,289 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

DrBass wrote: »

The PCP is with VW finance (Audi Car). If I take my car to be valued at a VW dealership for example. Am I right in thinking they can pull all the data of the contract, like term, price paid, GMVF, amount owed etc from the car reg? Does this put me at a disadvantage form the offset when talking about trade in value?

Any VW Group dealer can pull the details of the finance. I don't think it would be a disadvantage on your trade-in but different brands will offer different values. VW may offer more for your Audi than Seat or Skoda for example, but one VW dealer may offer more than another so even if you're near more than one VW dealer it could be worth shopping around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

3000eu cash added
    Deposit (6k eu)
    Monthly 272eu
    Balloon 8600 ish.
    0% apr.

Plan was completely pay off car in 3 years, so as soon as I got the car I made a savings account and started putting 50eu a week, later I got wage increase and started putting 70eu instead.
    Half way in got an itch to change to something with 4 doors as daughter started to get bigger. So plan was to get Leon cupra next. It was planned for March - April window of this year lol. We all know what happened.
    So when locked down kicked in, Hotel I worked in shut down and 350eu became my income. By that time I had 10k eu in that pcp saving account, so stopped putting money there. Decided to pay off my car when time comes, then see later this year how's work situation and then start looking.

Today was the day VW Bank took last 8.6k payment and I officially own my car and its fully payed off. Had zero stress and was fully prepared for worst case scenario. Which ironically happened.
    Already back to work since Monday too. So all back on track.

In the end, whats my opinion of pcp? Well, I fecking love it. Its my favourite way of buying cars now and if I can ill buy my next one on pcp again. It gives you a lot of freedom and options, if you undecided about next car or if you want to keep it or not.

It sounds like you fully understood what you were entering into and made the best use of the 0% interest. I have had a similar experience and am now on my 3rd PCP car. If at any stage I wasnt happy with a deal I was getting at trade in, I would have paid the balance owed and walked away with my car.

DrBass wrote: »

Well no matter where you go with it, you will be declaring that there is x amount owed and would typically be bringing a letter from vw bank showing the settlement figure - this is if going outside vw audi for your next purchase.
    If you think the offer from any dealer isnt good, shop around. Its really no different to any other time you traded in a car.
    The vw will have all the details. I guess thats shows him what you were happy to pay monthly etc but thsts hardly a big secret anyway.

rustynutz wrote: »
    It sounds like you fully understood what you were entering into and made the best use of the 0% interest. I have had a similar experience and am now on my 3rd PCP car. If at any stage I wasnt happy with a deal I was getting at trade in, I would have paid the balance owed and walked away with my car.

If there would be a car I want and I can afford, I would be on pcp again, instead of paying off balloon.
    The thing is, i always advice to people who go on pcp to make that savings account and put away at least some money. Those savings put you in waaay better position in 3 years time. If you not happy with low ball trade in you getting, you can just pay it off and walk away. You are not at mercy of dealers and hoping they will cut you a better deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Tiger20

As someone who sells cars, what would an average cost to trade up by 3/4 years be? That is if staying in same class, and also how much per class, I.e. trading a Fiesta/Polo/Fabia up to similar, a Focus/Golf/Corolla, and a Passat/Mondeo/Avensis. So for example if you purchased a €20k, €27k or a €35k 3/4 years ago, what would you expect to pay?
    Never been down the PCP route before, always used savings, but tempted to try next time. Thanks

I still believe in the half value over 3 years unless you do something stupid like buy an end of life model or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,123 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

What I see as the biggest disadvantage of PCP is if you want or need out before the end of the 3 years, that seems a little difficult to do.

Gael23 wrote: »
    What I see as the biggest disadvantage of PCP is if you want or need trout before the end of the 3 years, that seems a little difficult to do.

That could be said for buying a new car in general, funding it through any type of loan.

• Advertisement

That could be said for buying a new car in general, funding it through any type of loan.

But with a credit union loan or bank loan at least you OWN the car and can magically just get rid of it and clear your loan just like that without any issues selling and with PCP you're stuck rolling into new cars every 3 years and in the dealer's pocket with a lifetime if debt you can't pay off...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,652 ✭✭✭Wildly Boaring

DaveyDave wrote: »
    But with a credit union loan or bank loan at least you OWN the car and can magically just get rid of it and clear your loan just like that without any issues selling and with PCP you're stuck rolling into new cars every 3 years and in the dealer's pocket with a lifetime if debt you can't pay off...

Have you read any of the thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Get Real

3000eu cash added
    Deposit (6k eu)
    Monthly 272eu
    Balloon 8600 ish.
    0% apr.

Today was the day VW Bank took last 8.6k payment and I officially own my car and its fully payed off.

Sorry for cutting your post down. It was very informative and congrats on paying it off!

I'm just curious/confused and looking into PCP myself. I'm unsure on 0%apr and also, if dealers give "scrappage" but actually build it in to the overall price.

Was the overall cost of the car to you 30k in the end?

3k scrappage value
    3k cash
    6k deposit
    8.6k final payment = 20,600

Then 36 payments of 272= c9,700

20,600+9700= 30,300 total value when all taken into account.

It just seems a long way off from 24,500 or am I missing something?

Edit: or perhaps the car is E24,500 rrp, take 3k off for scrappage and dealer says call it E21,500.

In which case, you still spend overall about 26k on it?

Have you read any of the thread?

Yeah, I was just being sarcastic. I've seen too many posts recently (mostly on Reddit) where people act as if PCP is some permanent life long commitment and that somehow owning your car because you bought it with a loan is any safer. With a bank/credit union loan you still have to sell your car and hope you have enough to clear the loan. It's not like you just blink and you're out.

I'm all for PCP, it's a great option to roll over into a new car or or just buy outright with really low rates.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭marty whelan

Get Real wrote: »
    Sorry for cutting your post down. It was very informative and congrats on paying it off!

I'm just curious/confused and looking into PCP myself. I'm unsure on 0%apr and also, if dealers give "scrappage" but actually build it in to the overall price.

Was the overall cost of the car to you 30k in the end?

3k scrappage value
    3k cash
    6k deposit
    8.6k final payment = 20,600

Then 36 payments of 272= c9,700

20,600+9700= 30,300 total value when all taken into account.

It just seems a long way off from 24,500 or am I missing something?

Edit: or perhaps the car is E24,500 rrp, take 3k off for scrappage and dealer says call it E21,500.

In which case, you still spend overall about 26k on it?

I think he means scrappage of 3k +3k cash =6k deposit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,982 ✭✭✭McCrack

Whatever way you look it's finance at a cost to purchase a heavily depreciating asset. Brand new bog standard cars/crossovers Tuscon, Qashqais etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,671 ✭✭✭jay0109

Not when the Finance is at 0% and includes a €1,500 signing up bonus!

Lol okay

Never mind the 50 percent depreciation after 3 years.. Which is c.15k but yes the brochure says "0 percent finance" and a signing up bonus

McCrack wrote: »
    Whatever way you look it's finance at a cost to purchase a heavily depreciating asset. Brand new bog standard cars/crossovers Tuscon, Qashqais etc etc

What's the alternative?

• Advertisement

DaveyDave wrote: »
    What's the alternative?

Are you seriously asking that question?

Advertisement