Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What mix is this pup you think?

Options
  • 09-06-2020 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭

Hi, a friends mother has acquired this puppy on the premise that it was a maltese/poodle mix, and she wanted a small dog. I think not, any ideas?
    Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Ooohhh :o
    Pup has the coat of neither breed.
    But... doesn't look to have huge timber under him, as in, the bone structure doesn't appear to have big-dog-chunkiness to it. The face is kinda small-dog shaped too. Not sure he'll grow too big... but I wouldn't be banking on the proposed lineage either!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

"huge timber under him"?!!! :D:D:D

that is my new favourite phrase :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Choc Chip

Would you DNA test him if it's just for nosiness?

I was really against it (thought they were all a scam) but Wisdom Panel had a deal a few months ago so I did it for a laugh. They didn't ask for pics, but came back with 100% GSD for my big dog (which DBB might have her own thoughts on ;)) , and a very believable mix for my foster dog and her parents (who's mum I've met).

He's absolutely adorable in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭dragona

She is really gorgeous,someone told her she looks like a lab/golden retriever mix, as well as maltese/poodle :rolleyes::D

She looks more pom/something to me, hopefully stays on the small side! Owner freaking out about having a large dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Alun

If you Google "maltese poodle mix" you'll see something more like what I would expect. The coat is completely wrong for a start, more lab/retriever like, although a lab/retriever pup of that age would look a lot stockier in the legs than that I think.

He's very cute though :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭tk123

What age is she? If she's been homed a few weeks early may not have acquired her chunkiness yet? Bailey was no way as chunky as Lucy.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭emmaro

Very cute, but not a chance that is a maltese poodle mix. The hair would be way longer at this point for either breed and the coat is not the texture of either a poodle or maltese.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

What ever it turns out to be, hopefully she will love it so much by then, its size wont matter. I think the colouring is what would cause people to suggest golden retreiver! The trials of 'aquiring' puppies from an unreliable source I guess...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,949 ✭✭✭jimf

im seeing spaniel/golden ret but what a little beauty

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

The pup is lovely - those eyes! Even if it does grow a little bigger than expected, a larger dog is less of a trip hazard. A well-trained larger dog won't wrench the arms off her on walks, and even a small dog sharing the bed with you can take up a TARDIS-like amount of space. Hopefully her only issues might be a bit more vacuuming (but easier grooming) and needing more food if it does get bigger.
    Puppy certainly doesn't look maltese x poodle though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

Lab/King-Charles

Thanks all! She is what she will be :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Jack Russell X spaniel possibility to me, short legs big head, very cute either way.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

mymo wrote:
    Jack Russell X spaniel possibility to me, short legs big head, very cute either way.

I definitely see Jack Russell in the nose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 301 ✭✭puppieperson1

retriever / spaniel mix id say

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭jace_da_face

There you have it.
    40.7% Pomeranian
    22.7% Maltese
    16.0% Australian Cattle Dog
    6.8 % Japanese Spitz

528558.JPG

IMG_3643.JPG

Lol I had to download that app after I saw the post above! I'm so easily influenced.

It said my golden retriever is 99% golden retriever.
    It said my husky mix is 64.8% siberian husky.
    It said my scruffy terrier is 74.8% welsh terrier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

Lol I had to download that app after I saw the post above! I'm so easily influenced.

Yeah, me too :D my two old english sheepdogs are 99% old english sheepdogs.

It really doesn't work on mixed breeds though, so highly doubt the guesses above, it said my Cockapoo is 50% scottish terrier, 25% labradoodle with no spaniel. The mother is a golden cocker and the father a black poodle :D

im seeing a cute arse regardless of what breed

bet it will be loved either way love the timber haven't heard it in years

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Pure (beautiful !) Heinz .

• Advertisement

What is that app haha haha :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭Hoboo

tedpan wrote: »
    Yeah, me too :D my two old english sheepdogs are 99% old english sheepdogs.

It really doesn't work on mixed breeds though, so highly doubt the guesses above, it said my Cockapoo is 50% scottish terrier, 25% labradoodle with no spaniel. The mother is a golden cocker and the father a black poodle :D

That's probably because your cocker poodle mix wasn't from a pure bred cocker and poodle in the first place. The result is not a new breed, it's a mongrel, an overpriced one.

dragona wrote: »
    What is that app haha haha :)

It's just called dog scanner. You can see the logo for it on the pic above.

Hoboo wrote: »
    That's probably because your cocker poodle mix wasn't from a pure bred cocker and poodle in the first place. The result is not a new breed, it's a mongrel, an overpriced one.

when you consider where all our dogs descended from is there any such thing as pure bred anything

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

That app is a load of nonsense. It says my Sheltie is only 5% Sheltie.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I am having way too much fun with that dog scanner app. Scanning in loads of the dogs I groom and getting completely different results than what they’re booked in as :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

Would be nice to see an updated photo from the OP.

I put in a pic of my cat and it said 'that cat thinks it's a dog' :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭bobbyy gee

it's some type Labrador mix with something else
    for 500 euro you can get a Dna test on the dog

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

terrier / retriever

Advertisement