Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jack Russell becoming aggressive

Options
  • 22-06-2020 7:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭

My 10yr old Jack Russell has started going for my cats. My cats are 4 and 5 yrs old and I have them since they were kittens. The dog was always fine with them until recently. My nieces were playing about a week ago and she thought they were fighting I think but she went for my 4 yr old nieces leg. Thankfully she didn't connect with her. I honestly don't know what to do with her, she was always peevish but this is getting it of hand. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭MissShihTzu

Sounds like an obvious question, but how is she otherwise? Is your dog eating, toileting and sleeping OK? Did you check her over for any lumps, bumps and bruises? Might be she's in pain and lashing out...

Failing that, I would be taking her to the vet to make sure all is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

She seems fine otherwise and it's not like they are getting in her space and worrying her she is actively pursuing them. She the my cat around the garden earlier with her hair all standing up and she completely blanked me when I was calling her off. I'm just really worried that it could be one of my nieces or nephew next. I always put her in the kitchen when they call but one of them is sure to open the door and leave her out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Any behavioural change is worth having a dog checked out. There may be an underlying reason for this change - whether its age-related or health related. Is she spayed? It could be a hormonal issue. I would bring her to the vet for a complete check up - teeth, bloods etc.

You said shes peevish - has she always been so? At 10 years old shes elderly now. If shes not to be relied on when children are about, you need definitely to remove her from their space for their safety - kitchen that can be opened is not safe - consider a crate with a comfy blanket and a filled kong for when there are children (or cats!) about - make it a cosy safe place for her, so she doesnt feel like shes being punished.

Advertisement