Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gate intercom

Options
  • 09-06-2020 10:10am

Can anyone recomend a gate intercom that has app support ?
    Needs to have a handset for the house with button.(video a plus).
    But also comunicate via the app.
    Wired only.
    Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

You could just go with a video doorbell + a Sonoff (as the button).

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭vanti

I use a comelit system - works quite well. Installer was very very good and highly recommended (Dublin Area). If the buzzer rings, it shows live video on app & on monitor inside the house. Can PM the name - number if you're interested. I will say the resolution isn't great, maybe I should have forked out for a better unit in hindsight. Still very happy with it. Should also add - can open & close gate via the app (handy for deliveries)

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Dazzy

Have a look at Doorbird if you need a built in relay to open a door/gate. Doorbird was one of the few devices that had this feature when I was looking. It supports wired and wireless and works very well.

Thanks guys ,
    I did come across this on Amazon
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077QD9P9G/?coliid=IEOO0UHLROMX1&colid=3TGVEOAPEB2JC&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Who knows what the build quality is like.
    Its a DIY install .

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

I have a comelit as well. It has an app, but it's not "smart" by any means. It's just an app with a live feed and open/close button.
    But, you can additionally buy something like this: https://ismartgate.com/ and have a fairly good solution.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭Newtown90

Just be careful with intercoms on automated gates.

A few "smart men" around my locality saw them as an opportunity to see who is home at night and anyone who didn't answer was missing quiet a lot of stuff when they got home...

Always someone out there looking for an opportunity.

Newtown90 wrote: »

A few "smart men" around my locality saw them as an opportunity to see who is home at night and anyone who didn't answer was missing quiet a lot of stuff when they got home...

I am not sure what you are saying. What's the difference with pressing a normal doorbell and not answering the door?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,536 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

AstraMonti wrote: »
    What's the difference with pressing a normal doorbell and not answering the door?

Some intercoms and some smart intruder alarms have geofencing. People may use this feature to do things that may indicate whether they are home or not such as switching on outside lights.

My personal view is that some features of “smart” products that have been installed to enhance security actually compromise security such as the above. Other unhelpful features such as making some / all of the lights flash red when an intruder alarm is activated is just a gimmick that may disorientate the home owner even more than the intruder.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

you should check out the AES range , GSM options also available

https://www.aesglobalonline.com/styluscom

tech wrote: »
    you should check out the AES range , GSM options also available

https://www.aesglobalonline.com/styluscom

That looks like good gear alright.
    Saucy enough on the pricing !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,801 ✭✭✭tech

yes but great products, I have the Prime 6 GSM intercom works a treat

Newtown90 wrote: »

If ppl are worried about security then internet enabled intercoms are useful. You can answer the ring on your phone from anywhere and open/close the gate during the day to make it look like someone is around. They also take a picture when the bell is pressed.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Also be careful about automated gates and DIY, there are legal requirements for who can work on gate systems. I looked a while back and wasn't happy with any of the solutions. I think if i was doing it gain id have a button opener on the wall and a Ring Elite. Seems like it would be simple for ring to add a relay box to their systems.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Rugger13

Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm in the process of prepping for my electric gate installation.

I have run the power and light cables (from fuse board) to the gates as well cat 6 cable (one for the intercom & 1 for a camera potentially down the line).

My question is related to the intercom (Comelit) on the inside of the house. Where does the cat 6 cable run to...i assume not the fuse box...does it have to be chased into the wall to the location to where the handset is?

Again sorry for jumping into this thread, but I couldn't a thread that answered this for me..and you guys seem to know what your talking about ! Thanks for your help .

Rugger13 wrote: »
    Sorry to hijack this thread but I'm in the process of prepping for my electric gate installation.

I have run the power and light cables (from fuse board) to the gates as well cat 6 cable (one for the intercom & 1 for a camera potentially down the line).

My question is related to the intercom (Comelit) on the inside of the house. Where does the cat 6 cable run to...i assume not the fuse box...does it have to be chased into the wall to the location to where the handset is?

Again sorry for jumping into this thread, but I couldn't a thread that answered this for me..and you guys seem to know what your talking about ! Thanks for your help .

I haven't used Comelit so can't answer the question but does it have a phone App that would notify you when the doorbell is pressed? If it does then you may not need a handset on the wall in the house.

The Doorbird system I use has an App so all the phones it is installed on get a notification when the doorbell is pressed. I also have an Amazon Fire Tablet mounted in a picture frame on the wall which rings when the doorbell is pressed.

If Comelit does not have an App then I would recommend getting a doorbell with an App instead.

Thanks for your reply Dazzy.

Im not too sure if it has an app...I just know my system supplier has priced for a handset so I was just curious how it worked (he's off on holidays for 2 weeks at the minute). Thanks again!

Rugger13 wrote: »

Yes, the cat6 needs to run where the handset/screen will be located along with a power cable.
    For certain models, Comelit does have an app that ring your phone and the internal handset. You can see the video from the intercom and talk as well. It really works great when you are away and you need to open to the postman/deliveries etc.

Thats super thanks AstraMonti !

Advertisement