Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Making stuff from pallets

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

afatbollix wrote: »
    Looks so easy. What would be the best way to support the back? A couple of L brackets? Or do you think it would need more support?

Nothing to the one at all. You're basically sanding painting and sitting them on top of each other. Some screws and L brackets would be all you need.
    No idea where to get foam for cushions though. Avoid the shops in capel st Dublin. They're ridiculously expensive for even the basic foam.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭afatbollix

I was thinking the small mattresses from ikea and getting my GF who is handy with the sewing machine to make covers for them

Great idea! Waterproofing the cushions or at least putting them in shade is where I got stumped.

Made a side table. Might use it as a tv stand
    null-1370.jpg
    null-2357.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

david75 wrote: »
    Made a side table. Might use it as a tv stand
    null-1370.jpg
    null-2357.jpg

Nice one. Where do you find that type of pallet? The only ones I found are the one with the cube blocks in the middle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Steve_hooo

Steve_hooo wrote: »
    Nice one. Where do you find that type of pallet? The only ones I found are the one with the cube blocks in the middle

I'm down Smithfield most days looking for matching wood. Good idea to bring a lump hammer and wrecking bar. You can then take what you need instead of dragging a pallet home only to find half of it is useful. I take them apart down there and bring the bits I need home.

Also this isn't just one pallet but wood from about three different types all together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

I done on a project on this years ago in college. brilliant some of the mixes that can be used but the wire wool in vinegar works brilliant, especially on oak.
    I'm going to have a go at using the wire wool left overnight in white vinegar mixture. Seems to give a nice old look to the wood.

What stage are the pallets you both used for this? Are they old and silvered? Did you prewash them?
    And how's it done, do I just scrub the wood with the wirewool?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭Collibosher

What stage are the pallets you both used for this? Are they old and silvered? Did you prewash them?
    And how's it done, do I just scrub the wood with the wirewool?

The site I saw it on said to put a small amount of the 000 grade very fine wire wool in to a jar with white vinegar and leave for 24 hours. The wire wool will dissolve into the vinegar, then just brush on.

I made this earlier, and will be trying the above mixture over the weekend, so I'll post up how it turns out.

10rif6u.jpg

Cool thanks. I've been tying to find those wooden wine crates everywhere for a table I want to build. No luck. Good idea just building one.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Hi all,
    I have seen some great stuff done with pallets, I would like to give it a try.. but not sure where to start... Where can I get pallets?
    I am in North Dublin area.
    Thanks

Do you have a car?
    If you get to Smithfield, earlier the better but before 1pm, there's all sorts lying around. Look for broken ones and break them up while you're there. That way you won't have to drag useless wood home with you.
    Industrial estates always have pallets lying around and are happy to let you take em but just be sure to ask before you do.
    Some companies pay for them but most companies pay big money to have them taken away so in most cases you're doing them a favour.

Only get pallets with HT branded on them and wash the bejaysus out of them before you start working with them at all!
    Best of luck and looking forward to seeing pics of your work:)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

root69 wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have seen some great stuff done with pallets, I would like to give it a try.. but not sure where to start... Where can I get pallets?
    I am in North Dublin area.
    Thanks

Try some of the business parks around Balbriggan and ask for permission first explain to them what you are doing before you go skip diving and don't leave a mess behind you that way you will be welcome back :D

I made this earlier, and will be trying the above mixture over the weekend, so I'll post up how it turns out.

10rif6u.jpg

This was taken after coating with the vinegar/wire wool solution, I really like the finish it gives.

The wire wool had only been soaking for 24 hours, but could probably do with leaving longer.

fbi8v9.jpg

That looks great! Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭aero2k

Well done on all the wonderful projects. I've made a kitchen table and chairs from pallets, but nothing I've done can beat this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 caz_von

Would you guys know of anywhere southside where I could get pallets? :confused:

Any industrial estates or factories near you. Dundrum might be a stretch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 slaty craft

pallets

You can make lots of things from pallets . I would suggest filling the nail holes and painting the project when its finished ,this way it gives you a lot more options and less waste. http://www.jumbletown.ie[/IMG]

The site I saw it on said to put a small amount of the 000 grade very fine wire wool in to a jar with white vinegar and leave for 24 hours. The wire wool will dissolve into the vinegar, then just brush on.

10rif6u.jpg

Got a litre of white vinegar and some really light wire wool. It's there two days now but it looks just the same as when I started it.
    Should I just do a test on some wood and will it work?
    No sign of the wire wool dissolving at all.

Will yis friend me on Facebook please?
    https://www.facebook.com/wooden.ideas.3

Tryna make this thing fly

Got a litre of white vinegar and some really light wire wool. It's there two days now but it looks just the same as when I started it.
    Should I just do a test on some wood and will it work?
    No sign of the wire wool dissolving at all.

The vinegar and wire wool had only been soaking for 24 hours when I painted the crate pictured above. I used the finest grade wire wool and it hadn't dissolved for me either, well not noticeably, but the vinegar had darkened.

Test it out on a piece, it goes quite dark at first but dries and leaves a nice finished colour in my opinion.

Cool thank you. Gave a board one coat earlier. It went kinda grey but nothing wonderful. Added some black emulsion paint(not much).
    I'll see what happens tomorrow.
    Cheers for the reply.

I made a doggiebox. The kid lifts up to keep toys treats leads etc inside. Looks small but it's 2ft x 1ft.
    null-246.jpg

And I made a loo roll holder
    null-1684.jpg

Almost finished this. Cannot get the shelves level no matter what I do :(
    null_zps6dd38e79.jpg

Almost finished this. Cannot get the shelves level no matter what I do :(
    null_zps6dd38e79.jpg

Made a Facebook page if any of you are looking for something
    www.facebook.com/woodenideas75