Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone gone through airport security with an electronic cigarette ?

Options
  • 01-09-2012 7:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭

Flying to Gatwick and from there to Orlando, has anyone taken their cig with them through security ??

Should I bother or just pack it away ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,674 ✭✭✭DirtyBollox

cant smoke it on the plane so no point if you're taking it for that reason.

Newmark went through a week or so ago and AFAIK nothing was said.

I've been going through airports the past 3 weeks and nothing said. Havent brought my liquids with me but the cig with the battery, cartridge and spare battery and cartridge went through the scanner no problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭achieve

I've been through a few times over the past year, Dublin, Cork, Spain & Germany - no issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 516 ✭✭✭kiffy

Burdock wrote: »
    Flying to Gatwick and from there to Orlando, has anyone taken their cig with them through security ??

My last 3 flights abroad have resulted in one of our cases (4) been missing on arrival the other end, so when I went to Kos in June I put all my gear in my hand luggage I could stomach losing the wife's case with all her nik naks in it :D but no way chancing my vaping gear (50 carts & batt's no liquid) the operator on the scanner took ages looking at my gear but before I went to explain what it was he having trouble trying to identify he let it through.

Also the head stewardess was reluctant to let me use my smokegreen kit on board, she'd never heard of e cigs (Aer Lingus Shannon to Birmingham) and thought ppl would think I was smoking so I had to compromise and tell her I would stealth in my seat (she hadn't a clue what that was but was happy I would be discreet) and use it in the Jacks (killed me to have to compromise what harm water vapour)
    But had no problem with Thomas Cook from Birmingham to Kos and had no problems in Shannon or Birmingham airports.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

I went through Dublin t2 to Dubai earlier this year and had no problems, just stuck my juice bottles in a clear baggy and put my ego in the tray with my phone and stuff going through the scanner, job done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I fly at least 4 times a week, no issue what so ever with security in Cork, Amsterdam, Milan, Munich, Cologne or Dusseldorf for certain. I had a 510 with 3 bottles of juice in carryon luggage only. Next week I fly again and will take through a vivi nova with ego twist.

In Cork I even left behind in the tray a 510 at security and had to return for it, the lads just joked about my fake fag.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 159 ✭✭Burdock

Cheers for the replies :) wasn't planning on using it on the plane, was just bringing it to use while waiting around for flights.

Apparently there's a vape store 10 minutes from my hotel, I feel a spending binge coming !! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chacal

Just been through T2 with some carto tanks and no issues

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jimmypage1111

Went through Barcelona with 3 Biansi Imists this morning, Security took a look and let me go,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭dragona

Er...maybe you're not meant to smoke it on the plane, but I always do. Have done it loads of times on Ryanair!

Just hold vapour in your lungs and release slowly through nose! Can't see a thing (hardly) Google *stealth vaping*

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭chacal

Went through Barcelona with 3 Biansi Imists this morning, Security took a look and let me go,

Wow.. Went through Barcelona this morning myself! No issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭tommy2bad

Just back from Corfu and had no one even remark the ecig.
    Didn't use it on the plane, not worth the hassel for a 3.5 hour flight.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Bubba9

Doubt if this is an issue anymore, at least in the major airports, as they've probably seen loads of ecigs at this stage. If you run into problems ask for a supervisor as they'll probably know the score. If you want to be extra sure, and you're taking a suitcase as well as a cabin bag, divide your stuff between the two. Put liquid in plastic bag and cartos, batteries, etc. in the tray. I think lithium batteries are not allowed in the hold so best to pack them with your carry-on stuff.

Update:

Nearly lost my provari tonight, security at Dusseldorf airport picked it out on the security scan and didn't believe it was a e-cig due to the weight. I guess I was lucky as one of the security on a different lane was a vaper and studied it for 5 mins and made me vape for another 5 mins and break it down before they believed me and let me through.

On a side note, the kanger's leek savagely on a flight!

krissovo wrote: »
    Update:

Nearly lost my provari tonight, security at Dusseldorf airport picked it out on the security scan and didn't believe it was a e-cig due to the weight. I guess I was lucky as one of the security on a different lane was a vaper and studied it for 5 mins and made me vape for another 5 mins and break it down before they believed me and let me through.

On a side note, the kanger's leek savagely on a flight!

really? so the best course of action would be to have it empty when you board?

My plan in the future is to board with it wrapped in tissue separated from the battery. Once your up in the air they are ok if your using them, they are a great stealth device as they are so quiet;)

krissovo wrote: »
    My plan in the future is to board with it wrapped in tissue separated from the battery. Once your up in the air they are ok if your using them, they are a great stealth device as they are so quiet;)

i'll do a video on it when i'm travelling again in a few weeks. see if i can find another way to stop it leaking or best course of action to take if it does and all that jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭newmark

Newmark went through a week or so ago and AFAIK nothing was said.

I've been going through airports the past 3 weeks and nothing said. Havent brought my liquids with me but the cig with the battery, cartridge and spare battery and cartridge went through the scanner no problems.

Well actually I did have a small problem, I was taken aside, had my bags searched, had my bags swabbed for explosives and they were holding my throathit mod up in the air along with the provari and a big bag of liquid as if it was hazardous material with lots of people looking on. They left me through ok afer all that though and I did have a lot of liquids, about 40 bottles as I was coming back from UK Vapefest and had 20 bottles of liquid from t-juice that was a prize for irish vapefest with me as well.

Quick tip for air travel for anyone with a vivi nova or kanger to stop/reduce leaking. Unscrew the tops slightly to break the seals with them held upright. The vivi didnt leak at all and the kanger only flooded slightly and a quick dab with a tissue cleared it.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Halo Kitty

Anybody carry an Istick through Chinese airport security... I know they confiscate lighters, but don't know their policy on vaping..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

Halo Kitty wrote: »
    Anybody carry an Istick through Chinese airport security... I know they confiscate lighters, but don't know their policy on vaping..

Your iStick came from there and they produce the vast majority of ecig products sold, you'll be grand.

• Advertisement
Advertisement