Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Cotton Wicks

• 21-08-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭

Have read posts here and on UK vapers about how good cotton wicks are and the potention risks of fiberglass ones. Just wondering is there any particular reason no stardusts/vivas are made with cotton wick

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

if the cotton wick gets dry and you fire the coil it's insta-****ed. burns real fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

sept09baby wrote: »
    Have read posts here and on UK vapers about how good cotton wicks are and the potention risks of fiberglass ones. Just wondering is there any particular reason no stardusts/vivas are made with cotton wick
    Cotton burns and people new to a device are likely to burn it, and less likely to change it if burnt, I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Hammerman

I have just tried a cotton wick in my vivi nova.
    OMG..the difference in vapor and flavour is amazing.
    Its also a much smoother vape allowing me to take longer drags.
    I did not rebuild a coil or anything, just took an old head, removed the wick, washed it and dry burned..fed the cotton wick through, primed it with liquid and filled.:):):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Hammerman wrote: »
    I have just tried a cotton wick in my vivi nova.
    OMG..the difference in vapor and flavour is amazing.
    Its also a much smoother vape allowing me to take longer drags.
    I did not rebuild a coil or anything, just took an old head, removed the wick, washed it and dry burned..fed the cotton wick through, primed it with liquid and filled.:):):)

Good to know!
    Was it very tricky to 'feed wick through' as you describe?
    I imagine it to be deadly, though if I took the time it took to type this I'd probably find out, wouldn't I?!

It must be v hard to keep the coil intact re-wicking that way, yeah?

Also, was it a flat cotton pad you used? Did you fold it in half then snip away required size then twist it or anything?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭grindle

csi vegas wrote: »
    Was it very tricky to 'feed wick through' as you describe?
    Cotton is the easiest known thing to wick through another known thing ever.
    I imagine it to be deadly, though if I took the time it took to type this I'd probably find out, wouldn't I?!
    Less time.
    It must be v hard to keep the coil intact re-wicking that way, yeah?
    No. Cotton is soft and coils are relatively hard, just make sure you haven't made the coil touch the side walls.
    Also, was it a flat cotton pad you used? Did you fold it in half then snip away required size then twist it or anything?
    If using a make-up pad, split it into two halves. Not down the middle like you're halving a pizza, but tear the sandwich of layers apart, if you get what I mean.
    Fück it, pictures - the final rolled-wick-pic shows what you thread through the coil. If you need a longer wick, make it longer. Try not to make it too tight in your coil, and definitely not too lose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 Hammerman

I used a cotton ball and just pulled a piece off.
    I am not sure if the cotton is through the coil or just sitting on top of it.
    All I can say is, feeding it through the hole was easy and the wick works great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 745 ✭✭✭csi vegas

Thank you Grindle-O-Great!
    I think I might have started a thread a while back on the sub but needed to an update as nobody here really seems to do this, not regularly anyway. I think it was you who spoke about the marvels unbleached cotton though.
    Hammerman wrote: »
    I used a cotton ball and just pulled a piece off.
    I am not sure if the cotton is through the coil or just sitting on top of it.
    All I can say is, feeding it through the hole was easy and the wick works great!

Cotton ball? Wow!
    I doubt it's on top your coil though - it wouldn't work at all if it were - just a little pointer so you don't actually go do that next time then wonder why it's not like before :-)

Keep updating! I'm gonna attempt this myself today.

Advertisement