Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vaping/Ecigs - Did it help improve your lung capacity?

Options
  • 10-08-2015 1:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

Hi Guys,

I'm a heavy smoker and have to decided to start vaping from tomorrow.

I was wondering if other people on this have tried vaping and if you noticed a difference in your lungs? For instance, finding it easier to breathe or exercise?

Any other noticeable differences in your health since you started vaping?

Appreciate any thoughts you may have,

Thanks,
    Susan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

susan2k15 wrote: »
    Hi Guys,

I'm a heavy smoker and have to decided to start vaping from tomorrow.

I was wondering if other people on this have tried vaping and if you noticed a difference in your lungs? For instance, finding it easier to breathe or exercise?

Any other noticeable differences in your health since you started vaping?

Appreciate any thoughts you may have,

Thanks,
    Susan.

Yes, absolutely.

I lost a couple of stone a while back by taking up running. I'd got to the point where I could run about 2k before I had to stop due to lack of breath. The legs were fine, but the lungs just couldn't cope.

I started vaping and after a week of coughing out the crap that had built up in my lungs, I started to notice a huge improvement in my running. Two weeks later I was running 6k non stop. Three months later I did the Dun Laoghaire 10k in 55 minutes.

Ok, there was a lot of hard work involved, but I have no doubt that giving up the cigs and moving to vaping played an enormous part in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,389 ✭✭✭jonski

I would also say I noticed a difference in my breathing but also I haven't had a cold or flu since quitting over a year ago . Now obviously I don't expect that to last as everyone gets colds but I found it strange that I would always get one or two a year but none in the last 12 months .

Along with that , after 30 odd years of smoking I had started to notice that little cuts and scrapes were taking longer and longer to heal but in the last 6 to 8 months these seem to clear up faster , I don't know , I might be going mad as well , but it definitely seems to me that my healing has improved . I don't think I have seen anyone else mention this actually so maybe we better put it down to me going mad .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

For sure breathing is a lot better for me and no bronchitis that needs antibiotics anymore as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

I do a medical at work every 2 years, lung capacity is measured. I *%$*ing hate that test! :eek: So between the two tests, I was still smoking for the first 9ish months, switched to vaping and continued until the next test and beyond...so for the two year period, 9 months of smoking, 15 months of vaping..

Lung capacity increase measured at 5%. How I feel is alot more than 5% though, no shortness of breath anymore etc..

Be interested to see how the next one goes..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

My lung capacity increased by something like 10% (from high seventies to 89%). Haven't had a single chest infection in 9 months (as opposed to one every 4-6 weeks previously) and haven't had a cold either. All from 9 months off of 40 a day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

What i noticed is how long i can keep my breath for after taking a gulp.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

I was really bad,my breathing was getting worse while up & about & the wheezing noise from my lungs was getting louder,at bedtime when I laid down on the bed,I had more difficulty breathing & the wheezing noise was louder & it kept me from sleeping most times & the household,the worse thing for me was the coughing,especially while lying down,that kept the whole household awake on it's own.
    After 2 weeks vaping I noticed my coughing had stopped & my lungs were performing better because it was my family noticed it before me,a few weeks later,no wheezing anymore & just got better & better.I smoked 50 a day & 80 when drinking for over 40 years & I had no problem giving up,all I needed was a shot of nicotine in the eliquid & never had any cravens for a fag,this will differ with everyone,I was lucky that it was so easy.
    Must admit,I never packed up smoking for my health,it was purely financial.

Make sure you buy the right vaping gear & not those supermarket,petrol station crap cigalikes,ask here for advice on what to buy & where.
    Good luck...

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Breathing = better
    Snoring = better (though after drink just as bad apparently)
    Fitness = better
    Taste = better
    Colds, sore throats, chest infections = Gone, completely gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

When I used to live in Dublin and was still smoking, I cycled to work quite a lot. If I drove for a couple of weeks for whatever reason, and went back on the bike then, I always noticed that I'd be coughing and out of breath for the best part of the morning when I got to work the first day back on the bike. This pattern was always the same, take a break from cycling, first day back on bike; coughing.

Since moving to the UK 8 years ago I haven't been cycling. I've been vaping for around 4 years. Finally got off my lazy ass last week and started cycling to work. No coughing or shortness of breath whatsoever. That says it all for me anyway.

I could probably count the amount of coughs, sore throats I've had in the past 4 years on one hand too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Trond

Its obviously not the vaping that's helping you all its clearly the HSE's anti smoking campaign :pac:

Seriously though its great to hear so many positive experiences...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

It's weird how I can exercise and vape simultaneously but I do feel a bit guilty for that! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Sometimes painful smokers cough and tickly coughing spasms at night that were sometimes bad enough to cause pressure headaches stopped within days of taking up vaping. Lungs cleared of crap in a few weeks. I can't speak to lung capacity because a sedentary lifestyle over the vaping period caused by other health issue means I am so unfit that my legs would give out before my lungs would even if I were still smoking. I actually posted a thread a few months ago here after I posted about my 3 Cold/sorethroat free years in a Flu thread and the penny dropped that those were the same 3 years since I started vaping. Its seems this is quite common. Its probably a combination of the smoke irritated/damaged lungs when we were smokers were more susceptible to infection and aren't so much any more and the fact the Propylene Glycol in the e-liguid is a known anti-bacterial and anti-viral compound which probably affords our lungs some extra protection against airborne pathogens.

On the other hand vaping is not 100% pollutant free like the air at the top of Mt Everest and we don't know for certain whether is 100 times or 1000 times safer than cigarettes, so the regulatory bodies and governments are correct in trying to scare everyone away from vaping. :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭jamesbondings

Stopped smoking in February went for my first training session since last September..... My chest was fine but I just couldn't open up my airways. Throat was so rough it deepened my voice for the evening. Legs still burning and will ddo it again tonight hopefully the dryness will wear off eventually..... If not im still happy to be off the fags.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭macker33

Forgot to mention i dont wake up with pins and needles in my arm anymore.

macker33 wrote: »
    Forgot to mention i dont wake up with pins and needles in my arm anymore.
    Holy sh1t I totally forgot that!
    Yes, thats a thing of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

And me,it was my hands...

And me,it was my hands...
    And cramps in the feet/legs.
    Smoking is fking terrible in general.

Another side effect is...erm... a morning visitor (like a teenager again!).

Didihno wrote: »
    And cramps in the feet/legs.
    Smoking is fking terrible in general.

Another side effect is...erm... a morning visitor (like a teenager again!).

Same.... Started having them again a couple if months ago feck sake... Blood flow must be better now or something

Same.... Started having them again a couple if months ago feck sake... Blood flow must be better now or something
    The cramps or the other thing?

Didihno wrote: »
    The cramps or the other thing?

The other thing.... Annoying...

• Advertisement

The other thing.... Annoying...
    :D
    At least its more difficult to roll out of the bed......

Advertisement