Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planing/Thicknessing Options

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 49 BackInTown

So the machine won't run without the extraction hood in place?

Yes exactly. The black plastic hood/manifold needs to push down on the metal piece indicated in image to release the safety. In planer mode it engages the same switch from the underside.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,801 ✭✭✭iamtony

BackInTown wrote: »
    It’s bloody noisy. Again I assume that’s normal. But not sure how the neighbours will feel about it.
    Soundsike my cheep tablesaw. I would dream of using it without ear protection and I'd say the neighbours think I rebuild jet engines for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭Calahonda52

Yes exactly. The black plastic hood/manifold needs to push down on the metal piece indicated in image to release the safety. In planer mode it engages the same switch from the underside.

Thanks, is there much work involved in setting it up?

“I can’t pay my staff or mortgage with instagram likes”.

No, not much to it really, just put on the, guard, the feet and the fence.
    Pretty straightforward.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

I’ve had two runs with it now. On the first run with the planer I had to work quite hard to convince the extraction hood to engage the safety catch. A bit of a trim of mould flashing required but it’s working now. Thicknesser is really easy to use.

I reduced some steamed beech pieces from 19 to 13mm pretty quickly and cleanly. Light hand plane needed though I assume that’s normal.

Need to read some more about using these machines well. Also any opinions on stock blades and if one would achieve better results with different blades would be interesting to hear.

It’s bloody noisy. Again I assume that’s normal. But not sure how the neighbours will feel about it.

Something not right here if you need to lightly hand plane the material after

• Advertisement

kadman wrote: »
    Something not right here if you need to lightly hand plane the material after

Thanks for this - so would you expect a handplane like finish from a machined piece? I find I still clean up PAO bought in but this was a little worse than that. Any suggestions? I’ve been googling sharpening planer blades...

Thanks for this - so would you expect a handplane like finish from a machined piece? I find I still clean up PAO bought in but this was a little worse than that. Any suggestions? I’ve been googling sharpening planer blades...
    what exactly is the problem with the finish?

Have you tried reversing the direction of putting the piece into the thicknesses as it may be a grain issue.
    Are the rollers marking it?

I would expect an excellent finish from a new machine, new.blades, sharpened properly.

Whether its hardwood, or softwood.

With consideration to the following. Proper feed speed, as Cal has pointed out, proper grain direction, and minimal takeoff on the final cut.

With the smaller type thicknessers, its a case of more passes through the machine, as opposed to depth of cut. Less cut, more passes.

And on a decent piece of red deal you should have a slightly silky feel to the finish, and a slight sheen on the surface. This is what you are aiming for.

Post a few pics with light reflection on your timber surface to show the finish..

It should be ready for sanding from a thicknesser. Or do you finish from the plane and no sanding at all??

Thanks fellas. I’m going to have a go at sharpening and then dimensioning some softwood today. I’ll take some pictures along the way and report back.

Sharpening, unless you are really careful, may result in one blade doing more of the work.
    You may need to se-set the blades?
    What length are the pieces.
    Are they well supported on the outfield

• Advertisement

Now is the opportunity to check the blade setting, before removal from the machine

Hello all.

Thanks for all the advice and comments so far. Much better results achieved yesterday.

I think my issue was poor extraction / chip build up pock marking the surface of the beech I used on the first pass, possibly combined with taking too large a cut.

Today the finish was pretty clean bar a bit of snipe on the in-feed end. So happy now with the machine bar the noise. . It's so loud that I'm rushing through using it so as to not be upsetting the neighbours - not ideal for a suburban shed. I'll definitely be considering soundproofing if I ever get around to building a better shed.

Oak - images are supposed to be embedded but not working so including links
    oZTANvV

Pine (pallet)
    2DvDYTH

I didn't sharpen or set blades. I'd imagine that would further improve things if done well.

Thanks all

Good stuff.

Keep a light lift of the material on the outfeed, at the end of the run,

this will eliminate 95% of any snipe.

If you are still getting snipe after this, if its minimal its not worth worrying about.

If its still there, its down to blade or feed roller setting. You may or may not be able to improve this on a small diy machine

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I tried mine out the other day as well. Did some short lengths of maple and oak on the thicknesser and then used the planer to flatten the edges. They are unused floorboards so was removing the grooves at the bottom.
    Similar to BackinTown the only issue I ran into seemed to be chips building up as I didn't have a vacuum hooked up. The finish was ok on mine overall - made a little chopping board for a friend by laminating strips of the maple together
    I tried a bit of pine as well and it few through far more easily. I have a DIY sawdust cyclone set up (badly) that I need to make an adapter for to fit the thicknesser. It produces a fair bit of waste.
    I've never owned one before so nothing to compare it to but seems to be ok for DIY use. It does make a fairly heavy racket when thicknessing.

kadman wrote: »
    Good stuff.

Keep a light lift of the material on the outfeed, at the end of the run,

this will eliminate 95% of any snipe.

If you are still getting snipe after this, if its minimal its not worth worrying about.

If its still there, its down to blade or feed roller setting. You may or may not be able to improve this on a small diy machine

The other way of dealing with snipe is just allow for it in the measurements, especially if cheapish timber

My own DeWalt DW 733 thicknesser has very very negligible snipe even if left unattended,

and virtually no snipe if the material is slightly braised at the end of the cut on the ourfeed.

Position of the blades in the cutter block have more to do with snipe than sharpness of the blades.Imho.

Blades set too high in the block give more snipe. Blades on a new machine should be properly set,

but check them with a setting jig supplied with the machine.

Advertisement