Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ah jaysis [TV3 secures RWC rights]

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,936 ✭✭✭LEIN

It seems that TV3HD will only be available through UPC and Sky with relevant HD subs.

So if you rely on Saorview, it's SD for you. If you have freesat or don't have the Sky HD pack, you can always watch on ITV HD.

Where are you getting the info?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

LEIN wrote: »
    Where are you getting the info?
    The confirmed it to a number of us today

"Hi ...... ,

Unfortunately you will not access to HD on SKY without subscribing to their HD subscription.

Regards,
    TV3"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Absolutely ridiculous decision from TV3 - ITV HD it will be!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

irishfeen wrote: »
    Absolutely ridiculous decision from TV3 - ITV HD it will be!

Never thought of this! Tks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 curious incident

That is total bullshít from TV3.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

This was always going to happen. Have they put a list of who is going to be on the panel,commentary etc etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,071 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

This was always going to happen. Have they put a list of who is going to be on the panel,commentary etc etc?

Yes, Infairness their lineup is pretty good
    Looking forward to hearing Murray Kinsella from 42.ie - writes brilliant articles so hopefully his knowledge translates to TV

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Keith Wood, Matt Williams, Peter Stringer, Shane Jennings and Hugo McNeil will be analysts.Commentators include Liam Toland, Stuart Barnes and Conor McNamara. Murray Kinsella will provide analysis with Sinead Kissane and Matt Cooper also among the broadcast team

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

Keith Wood, Matt Williams, Peter Stringer, Shane Jennings and Hugo McNeil will be analysts.Commentators include Liam Toland, Stuart Barnes and Conor McNamara. Murray Kinsella will provide analysis with Sinead Kissane and Matt Cooper also among the broadcast team

Not a bad line up at all there, but Matt Cooper ugh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,245 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Not a bad line up at all there, but Matt Cooper ugh.

I'd say the same about Stuart Barnes; IMO he is a dreadful commentator. They have signed Neil Back as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,784 ✭✭✭total former

I think Barnes is excellent, very knowledgeable, good reader of the game.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I'm not too sure on Stringer as I don't think I've ever seen him as an analyst, Jennings could be a bit iffy too and they're both still very close to the players.

For the RTE highlights of yesterdays game they'd ROG and Horgan and it was good.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,767 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Yeah I don't get the Barnes hate from some. He's pretty decent in my book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I'm not too sure on Stringer as I don't think I've ever seen him as an analyst, Jennings could be a bit iffy too and they're both still very close to the players.

For the RTE highlights of yesterdays game they'd ROG and Horgan and it was good.
    I wouldn't worry too much about Stringer. Stringer hasn't played with quite a number of the irish squad. Hasn't played with Ireland in over 4 years. Stringer has joined his 4th premiership side for the coming season. Will know that bit more on English players having played week in week out against a lot...

Never understood the Stuart Barnes hate

• Advertisement

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Never understood the Stuart Barnes hate

Nor I, I do not see what the problem is with him. He loves the game quite clearly, he's given Leinster and Munster all the superlatives under the sun in the past when they were winning trophies (unlike BT who are unashamedly pro-English sides), I think he's grand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Stuart Barnes? He's my least favourite commentator on the planet by far. He adds absolutely nothing of value, he just speaks nonsense. Hes completely sycophantic as well, he'll gush praise constantly regardless of whether or not it's merited. I can't listen to him any more, I'd rather put the thing on mute.

I used to think he was alright until someone made me consider what he was actually saying! He's one of those professional broadcasters who is very good at talking a lot but saying little.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

So can we all agree on is the best commentator?

Morgan Freeman?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,867 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Morgan Freeman?

Please tell me Matt "I'll ask you a question but I'll cut across you before you finish talking" Cooper isn't a presenter on tv3's coverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

mfceiling wrote: »
    Please tell me Matt "I'll ask you a question but I'll cut across you before you finish talking" Cooper isn't a presenter on tv3's coverage.

He's the wan....I mean anchor for the tourney

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭nc6000

Here's the TV3 lineup in an actual lineup..........

image.jpg

Stringer so short can't see him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Stuart Barnes? He's my least favourite commentator on the planet by far. He adds absolutely nothing of value, he just speaks nonsense. Hes completely sycophantic as well, he'll gush praise constantly regardless of whether or not it's merited. I can't listen to him any more, I'd rather put the thing on mute.

I used to think he was alright until someone made me consider what he was actually saying! He's one of those professional broadcasters who is very good at talking a lot but saying little.

I don't dislike him that much as I'm ambivalent generally to commentary but hard to disagree with a lot of what you say. He gushes, he talks a lot without saying much, he's a mouthpiece for whatever side is flavour of the month. He's essentially proof that saying something with confidence is the most important thing.

I remember during the Toulon vs Sarries final he was praising the line speed of Burden in defence, highlighting how quickly he came from behind the hindmost foot. The scary thing was that he used the hindmost foot on the Sarries side of the ruck as the offside line for Burden. He even freeze-framed it and drew his imaginary line through it. Burden was miles offside and it was a bad miss by the referee in real time. It was simply embarrassing for a commentator to not understand it in freeze frame.

Overall, I find commentary just to be background noise, to be honest. It doesn't improve or damage the game really for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 owen09

TV3 are useless broadcasters, Now they are doing the world cup! who would commentate??

Little mention has been given to the ITV line up for RWC. No role for Welsh veteran John Taylor this time around but overall it's a strong team that sees a ladies international getting a deserved call up.

http://www.itv.com/rugbyworldcup/itv-announce-line-up-for-2015-rugby-world-cup

As an aside, Land Rover will be sponsoring the TV3 Coverage.

nc6000 wrote: »
    Here's the TV3 lineup in an actual lineup..........

image.jpg

Bit of the Ashley Coles about Murray Kinsella in that pic!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Little mention has been given to the ITV line up for RWC. No role for Welsh veteran John Taylor this time around but overall it's a strong team that sees a ladies international getting a deserved call up.

http://www.itv.com/rugbyworldcup/itv-announce-line-up-for-2015-rugby-world-cup

As an aside, Land Rover will be sponsoring the TV3 Coverage.

Not surprised about Maggie, given that she is one of the four RWC2015 ambassadors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 413 ✭✭postitnote

From the ITV link:
    Former Wales and Ireland skippers Gareth Thomas and Brian O'Driscoll will also be involved in the coverage, which will be led by presenter John Inverdale...
    Thomas, the first openly gay professional rugby player, reprises his broadcasting role from 2011, whilst Irish legend O'Driscoll watches a World Cup from the sidelines for the first time since 1995 after retiring from the game last year.

Why is there a need to bring this up?

LOOK, LOOK! WE'VE INCLUDED GAYS, BLACKS AND THE IRISH! AREN'T WE A PROGRESSIVE BUNCH?!

• Subscribers Posts: 41,850 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

postitnote wrote: »
    From the ITV link:

Why is there a need to bring this up?

LOOK, LOOK! WE'VE INCLUDED GAYS, BLACKS AND THE IRISH! AREN'T WE A PROGRESSIVE BUNCH?!

agreed, it actually takes from his ability as a pundit in as much to say "hes not a great pundit but hes gay so we included him"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Have UPC HD so it'll have to be TV3 for me, can't get ITV on it AFAIK... Kinsella's analysis should be interesting if Cooper allows him a word in edgeways. God that man loves the sound of his own voice - the one man (well, maybe George Hook) whose Cork accent I find annoying..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 262 ✭✭Banta

From the ITV link:
    ...which will be led by presenter John Inverdale.

Oh sweet jebus. How is this man constantly presenting on any sport whatsoever!? I cringe every time he opens his mouth. I'm cringing now just at the thoughts of all the lack-of-knowledge tripe he's going to spew out. Even people on a panel look uncomfortable as he speaks.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

Morgan Freeman?

I'd pay good money for every time a try is scored, he'd read out the score, and then Say,

"Titty sprinkles"

I like when Inverdale says rude words :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Wang King

I like when Inverdale says rude words :)

What? Like Chris Ashton is signing for Leinster?

there is a rude word in here so you have been warned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Very comprehensive lineup from ITV, nicking BBC, BT and Sky employees for the tournament :D No Stuart Barnes through?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

Very comprehensive lineup from ITV, nicking BBC, BT and Sky employees for the tournament :D No Stuart Barnes through?

Barnsey is on tv3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭Sever Tomorrow

Barnsey is on tv3

Oh really, actually impressed with that coup, haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,324 ✭✭✭BBMcQ

TV3 HD isn't looking too bad. An Irish slant is way better than the usual English bias.

I wonder if TV3 will be doing build-up/promo videos like RTE do...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

TV3 HD isn't looking too bad. An Irish slant is way better than the usual English bias.

I wonder if TV3 will be doing build-up/promo videos like RTE do...

Is it? Really?

I've yet to be impressed by one Irish TV production or commentary/pundit team. It's always so amateur and poor.

The only thing that's decent is RTE's pre 6N promo... Usually it's interesting. ROG having his brekkie was a good one! But the actual panel is cringe and poor, the stage production is woeful usually, like some 80s panel debate TV set.

ITV will probably have a bit more a polished finish atleast. I don't really care about their bias, we're not in their group so it won't effect us. Frankly they might not even get out of their group so...

It's just a pity Sky can't get it. I love their production values, I know people hate them, but for the very reasons Buer & IBF posted they hate Barnsey as a commentator is the exact reason why I like them. They dramatize everything - as it should be. If I want cold hard analysis I'll read the papers the day after, or the blogs. For me I think commentators should build the game up, the production value should add excitement and drama.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

.ak wrote: »
    They dramatize everything - as it should be

You must have loved George Hook

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Synode wrote: »
    You must have loved George Hook

No he negatized everything.

Yes, I just invented that word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

Tv3HD now live on sky channel 273

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,816 ✭✭✭✭bilston

.ak wrote: »
    No he negatized everything.

Yes, I just invented that word.

But what a word. I'm going to start using it

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,199 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

sjb25 wrote: »
    Tv3HD now live on sky channel 273

If you've HD the the normal channel on 103 is now HD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Is it available on Eircom evision yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,817 ✭✭✭b.gud

It's also listed as HD on UPC now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭sjb25

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭OldRio

TV3 Rugby promo?

No mention of them putting their HD coverage behind a paywall?

sjb25 wrote: »

Maybe it's because I watched it on my iPhone but that doesn't have the edge or emotion of a RTE promo. Yes it is good but TV3 have a very high bar to cross and it will spoil our entertainment value for the autumn if we spend it marking them down on comparison.

• Advertisement
Advertisement