Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Glasgow Warriors, Sat 12 April 6:30pm

Options
  • 11-04-2014 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭

Munster:
    Felix Jones, Gerhard van den Heever, Keith Earls, James Downey, Simon Zebo, JJ Hanrahan,
    Conor Murray, John Ryan, Duncan Casey, BJ Botha, Donncha O'Callaghan, Dave Foley, CJ Stander, Sean Dougall, James Coughlan Capt.

Replacements: Quentin MacDonald, Dave Kilcoyne, Alan Cotter, Billy Holland, Paddy Butler, Duncan Williams, Ian Keatley, Johne Murphy.

15. Peter Murchie
    14. Sean Maitland
    13. Alex Dunbar
    12. Finn Russell
    11. Tommy Seymour
    10. Duncan Weir
    9. Chris Cusiter (Captain)

1. Gordon Reid
    2. Dougie Hall
    3. Jon Welsh
    4. Tim Swinson
    5. Jonny Gray
    6. Josh Strauss
    7. Chris Fusaro
    8. Ryan Wilson

Substitutes

16. Pat MacArthur
    17. Jerry Yanuyanutawa
    18. Geoff Cross
    19. Leone Nakarawa
    20. Rob Harley
    21. Henry Pyrgos
    22. Peter Horne
    23. Richie Vernon

Not available due to injury: Mike Cusack (medical/illness), Ryan Grant (hamstring), Stuart Hogg (hamstring), Ed Kalman (back), Sean Lamont (knee), Tom Ryder (knees) and DTH van der Merwe (shoulder).

As expected Keith Earls moves to 13. No other option really!

POC and Varley are rested, TOD isn't in the 23 either. It looks like James Cronin isn't back yet from injury, he would be important to have available against Hayman and Castrogiovanni in two weeks! Archer too is still absent. I'm not sure there's a point to playing MacDonald with Scannell back fit, although Scannell was part of a shambolic Munster A lineout in Donnybrook last week.

No Hogg, Matawalu or Isles for Glasgow, I was hoping for at least one of them to feature to add some excitement to the match.

Munster should win and ideally deny Glasgow an LBP. A JJ-Keatley-Earls combination from 60 minutes onwards could be promising.

Who will win? 13 votes

Munster
    0%
    Glasgow
    92%
    AkrasiaFeederRiskymovemurphym72smiggyHyperbulletCookiemunsterFireball07Ballyv24jjjdUgo Monye spacecraft experienceMrcolmanmcg 12 votes
    Jared Payne
    7%
    on the river 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

That's a pretty strong team. Obviously not just paying lip service to the Rabo.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Tasty looking backline. Has Murphy ever played FB btw?

Should be a BP in there somewhere. I know it's Glasgow but that's a very strong Munster side.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

.ak wrote: »
    Tasty looking backline. Has Murphy ever played FB btw?

Should be a BP in there somewhere. I know it's Glasgow but that's a very strong Munster side.

He's played a good few times IIRC.

Wouldn't have him ahead of Jones, his best performances have been on the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,885 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

Glasgow
    Risteard wrote: »
    That's a pretty strong team. Obviously not just paying lip service to the Rabo.

we are facing a rival for playoff places

Ulster at home to Connacht and would be favourites..we need to win if we are to hold on to home play-off spot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

What the hell has Johne Murphy done to Penney? He was probably the player of the season for Munster when he was getting starts and has just been banished to the stands for most games and may not even get a new contract now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Buer wrote: »
    What the hell has Johne Murphy done to Penney? He was probably the player of the season for Munster when he was getting starts and has just been banished to the stands for most games and may not even get a new contract now.

In fairness Murphy's appearances this season can be somewhat attributed to Earls and Zebo being out injured at various points in the season. I'd try Murphy at 15 but I wouldn't have him ahead of either Earls or Zebo while Van Den Heever has looked decent while still finding his feet at club. Murphy will surely get a contract offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Glasgow
    Murphy will get another contract. If Conway wasn't on a 2 year deal I'm not sure he'd be getting a renewal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Does Conway get any game time? He was in good form just as he was leaving for Munster. I haven't heard a sniff of him since

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

Should have went to Connacht, stayed or gone abroad. Second tier RABO games and the A's for him it seems.

Shame.

Glasgow
    Grimebox wrote: »
    Does Conway get any game time? He was in good form just as he was leaving for Munster. I haven't heard a sniff of him since

few appearances in the Rabo, one or two starts. At the time I assumed he was moving to play at 15 but he's certainly not viewed as a fullback by management

• Advertisement

Yeah. Murphy has been a savage player, done everything that's asked for him. TBH I think Jones is the weaklink in that squad and anybody would be better than him.

ssaye2 wrote: »
    Should have went to Connacht, stayed or gone abroad. Second tier RABO games and the A's for him it seems.

Shame.

If they sign up Murphy and Hurley then I'd want to negotiate a release if I was Conway. If LOD can stay fit then he is a great prospect to compete with as well.

.ak tells me that Conway's best position is fullback and ROM is played there instead with the A team.

Glasgow
    Yeah. Murphy has been a savage player, done everything that's asked for him. TBH I think Jones is the weaklink in that squad and anybody would be better than him.

While I'm far from his biggest fan I think that's harsh!

TBH I think Jones is the weaklink in that squad and anybody would be better than him.

So THAT's how it's happening.

John_Hayes_Training_Web.jpg

Look at how Hayes is staring a hole through the ball. He definitely has the vision to play at fullback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

Looking forward to seeing more of John Ryan. Botha talked him up last season I think and in was impressed with his recent appearance of the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Rubbish.

Jones hasn't been great, but he is a solid and massively committed player. He's the type of hard worker that coaches love.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,823 ✭✭✭budhabob

Rubbish.

Jones hasn't been great, but he is a solid and massively committed player. He's the type of hard worker that coaches love.

He also seems to be the one player that has some idea what LLL is trying to do.

Rubbish.

Ehm, okay, it's rubbish but you agree...?
    Jones hasn't been great...

...is all I was saying?

While I'm far from his biggest fan I think that's harsh!

Okay, what I meant by 'anybody' is Murphy, in particular, would be better than him, even if he isn't a true FB.

Does that sound more fair/agreeable?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Glasgow
    That's a very good team; can't afford to get injuries, but we can't afford to lose a semi-final place.

Would have liked Dineen to start, and would have tried Murphy at full-back. He impressed there before. Happy for John Ryan too, but I hope Cronin is back for Toulon.

Hopefully we get a good win.

• Advertisement

If they sign up Murphy and Hurley then I'd want to negotiate a release if I was Conway. If LOD can stay fit then he is a great prospect to compete with as well.

.ak tells me that Conway's best position is fullback and ROM is played there instead with the A team.

I think the unusual thing there was that ROM is more a winger than FB isn't he? It's telling. I would've thought Conway intended to challenge Jones for a starting spot at FB, because he's never going to move Earls or Zebo off the wing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Glasgow
    I think the unusual thing there was that ROM is more a winger than FB isn't he? It's telling. I would've thought Conway intended to challenge Jones for a starting spot at FB, because he's never going to move Earls or Zebo off the wing.

ROM & LOD have both played full-back a decent amount too. And tbh, I'd have them ahead of Conway at full-back aswell. Conway hasn't impressed bar one or two games this season. He doesn't even seem to have the explosive pace he used to have. LOD has been tortured with injuries, but has been excellent in most appearances- great finisher and really strong in the air.

And Murphy & Hurley are probably better options at 15 too. Wouldn't be starting Jones there, too inconsistent, even if he is the only one who runs good lines off Laulala.

Ehm, okay, it's rubbish but you agree...?

...is all I was saying?

That wasn't what you were saying at all. Hyperbolic nonsense to say that anyone would be better than him.

Murphe has had a brilliant season, but he suffers when he moves around positions and his is liable for silly mistakes. I'd understand the argument of maybe playing Murphe at 11 and shifting Zebo to fullback, but that's the only way I'd like to see Jones dropped.

That wasn't what you were saying at all. Hyperbolic nonsense to say that anyone would be better than him.

Murphe has had a brilliant season, but he suffers when he moves around positions and his is liable for silly mistakes. I'd understand the argument of maybe playing Murphe at 11 and shifting Zebo to fullback, but that's the only way I'd like to see Jones dropped.

I think you're being pedantic as I was trying to make the point Murphy would be better than him. Obviously Conway for example wouldn't be better than him.. although there are plenty of options out there in the squad that would be.

Conway just isn't good enough IMO. When he signed, I felt that he was an unnecessary addition to the squad as LOD was as good as/better than him anyway. The signing of VdH has just compounded the issue. I'd be quite happy to see him return home next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

You'd wonder if we're going to lose some of our back 3 options in the off season, having 9 potential players (Earls, Zebo, VDH, Murphy, Conway, ROM, LOD, Hurley, Jones) vying for 3 spots & 1 bench slot (assuming the bench option goes to a back 3 player and not a centre) means a lot of unused talent. Are any of them out of contract at the end of the season?

I think you're being pedantic as I was trying to make the point Murphy would be better than him. Obviously Conway for example wouldn't be better than him.. although there are plenty of options out there in the squad that would be.

You need to read your post again. You said he is the weak link in the squad and anyone would be better. Now, that may not be what you intended to say, but it is what you said. Saying that he is a weaklink and there are better options, is a much less hyperbolic and more aggreable point.

who_me wrote: »
    You'd wonder if we're going to lose some of our back 3 options in the off season, having 9 potential players (Earls, Zebo, VDH, Murphy, Conway, ROM, LOD, Hurley, Jones) vying for 3 spots & 1 bench slot (assuming the bench option goes to a back 3 player and not a centre) means a lot of unused talent. Are any of them out of contract at the end of the season?

Copied from my list:

SCRUM-HALVES

Conor Murray 2016
    Cathal Sheridan 2016
    Duncan Williams 2015
    Gerry Hurley 2014

FLY-HALVES

Ian Keatley 2015
    JJ Hanrahan 2015
    Johnny Holland 2015 - FROM ACADEMY

CENTRES

James Downey 2014
    Ivan Dineen 2015
    Casey Laulala 2014 - LEAVING
    Cian Bohane 2015

WINGERS

Simon Zebo 2016
    Keith Earls 2016
    Gerhard Van Den Heever 2015
    Johne Murphy 2014
    Andrew Conway 2015
    Luke O'Dea 2015
    Ronan O'Mahony 2015

FULLBACKS

Felix Jones 2015
    Denis Hurley 2014
    Conway just isn't good enough IMO. When he signed, I felt that he was an unnecessary addition to the squad as LOD was as good as/better than him anyway. The signing of VdH has just compounded the issue. I'd be quite happy to see him return home next year.

Quite happy for his sake you mean? I'm happy to have him at the province, the more good squad players the better, but he's not going to make it at Munster as a winger.

You need to read your post again. You said he is the weak link in the squad and anyone would be better. Now, that may not be what you intended to say, but it is what you said. Saying that he is a weaklink and there are better options, is a much less hyperbolic and more aggreable point.

Fine. He is the weaklink and there are better options. Happy?

• Advertisement

Fine. He is the weaklink and there are better options. Happy?

Not really. Its probably because my brain is melting from being on the beer for ~15 hours yesterday.

Advertisement