Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread IV

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

ssaye2 wrote: »
    When you win a lot more than you lose you become expectant not so much cocky. A tough battle which I will be hugely disappointed if our team lost with the two teams named. If you had your injuries back especially Heenan it would be even closer. Going to say Leinster by 7+ if weather is nice.

That's a lot different than "a few tries for the backs" which would suggest a big scoreline. Willie Faloon is a very capable replacement for Heenan, he was player of the year 2 years ago and it was his injury last year that let Heenan establish himself in the team. Leinster definitely have the edge, especially on the bench, but they may well need all of it to get over the line.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,839 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Lovely back row there, interested to see the dynamics with Ryan back at 7

• Registered Users Posts: 11,636 ✭✭✭✭Tox56

Zzippy wrote: »
    That's a lot different than "a few tries for the backs" which would suggest a big scoreline.

I think you're taking that the wrong way. If the weather is fine Connacht will score tries too, and we're not going to win with a couple of penalties, so yes we're looking for the backs to score a few tries

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Predictions? Maccer to score the winning try... but then Roux to slot winning injury time DG.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,965 ✭✭✭connachta

15. Darragh Leader 15. Kearney
    14. Niyi Adeolokun 14. McFadden
    13. Robbie Henshaw 13. Macken
    12. Dave McSharry 12. Madigan
    11. Danie Poolman 11. Fanning
    10. Jack Carty 10. Gopperth
    9. Kieran Marmion 9. Boss

1. Denis Buckley 1. McGrath
    2. Dave Heffernan 2. Cronin
    3. Nathan White 3. Ross
    4. Aly Muldowney 4. Toner
    5. Quinn Roux 5. McCarthy

6. John Muldoon © 6. Ruddock
    7. Willie Faloon 7. Ryan
    8. Eoin McKeon 8. Heaslip

Replacements:

16. Shane Delahunt 16. Bryan Byrne
    17. Ronan Loughney 17. Cian Healy
    18. Rodney Ah You 18. Tadhg Furlong
    19. Mick Kearney 19. Tom Denton
    20. George Naoupu 20. Shane Jennings

21. Ian Porter 21. Eoin Reddan
    22. Craig Ronaldson 22. Gordon D'Arcy

23. Matt Healy 23. Mick McGrath

Head-to-head, personal opinion based on talent, experience current form and fitness

PS : Black is kind of a draw

• Advertisement

Think you're being kind to Aly and Quinny there...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭ssaye2

connachta wrote: »

3. Nathan White 3. Ross

7. Willie Faloon 7. Ryan

Replacements:

Head-to-head, personal opinion based on talent, experience current form and fitness

You think Buckley and White are better than the Ireland front row
    McFadden even with a new kid
    International second row even

Fair enough disagree with most

Would take Henshaw and Marmion and thats it,

Heenan if fit

3. Nathan White 3. Ross

7. Willie Faloon 7. Ryan

Replacements:

Buckley better than McGrath? McCarthy equal with roux and Toner equal with muldowney? McFadden equal with Adeolokun??!

I'd take Poolman over Fanning, but that's just me.

.ak wrote: »
    Think you're being kind to Aly and Quinny there...

Yeah I bet on these surprises, wait and see
    Macca is getting older, and not a big fan of Toner, light in contact

• Advertisement

.ak wrote: »
    I'd take Poolman over Fanning, but that's just me.

Probably, I was just shocked that I skimmed after

Macca is a 2nd row, older is over 35
    Well thats incorrect the last season or so.

Maccer for me is in great form, locks get better with age! :D No offence but there's a reason Maccer is first choice with Leinster whilst Quinny had to resign to a loan out west.

Also Toner is anything but light in contact at 20st. He made his presence felt very well in contact against the 6N sides.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,183 ✭✭✭✭Buer

When you win a lot more than you lose you become expectant not so much cocky. A tough battle which I will be hugely disappointed if our team lost with the two teams named. If you had your injuries back especially Heenan it would be even closer. Going to say Leinster by 7+ if weather is nice.

This goes against all normal logic but I actually prefer if it's miserable weather when we go to Galway.

The last time we had good weather, we were thumped 30-6. The crowd showed up, got the drinks in, was raucous and roared on the team. In 2010, we went there and, in bright sunshine, were stuffed 27-13.

Leinster generally tend to win tight and ugly when we win in Galway and use our stronger pack to wrestle the victory.

You think Buckley and White are better than the Ireland front row

White and Ah You have just been IQ, wait before knowing really who are the real Ireland front row;). Honneslty, they have been both very good for the begining of the season

McFadden even with a new kid

McFadd just came back from injury, Niyi is a revelation

International second row even

answer above

Fair enough disagree with most

Would take Henshaw and Marmion and thats it,

Heenan if fit

I knew you'd protest:D

I knew you'd protest:D

I would, I am the anti connachta

Ah no, I just think Connacht fans are feeling the positivity vibe and bubble a bit much, but back it up for a full season and I will allow it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,257 ✭✭✭Hagz

I don't think it's a draw between Adeolokun and McFadden. Adeolokun looked out of his depth last week and McFadden is on a different level. We're talking about a kid who's just dipping his toe in professional rugby, and a player who has two heineken cup medals and features for his country.
    I would also say that international props McGrath and Ross are both better than Buckley and White.
    And Toner and McCarthy are definitley better than Muldowney and Roux, otherwise Roux would still be playing his rugby in Leinster.

Also, Delahunt is not a draw with Bryan Byrne. Delahunt was rejected by the Leinster Academy and has only recently made the switch to hooker, whereas Bryan Byrne played for the Emerging Ireland team in the summer and looked great off the bench last week.

Rodney Ah You is not better than Tadhg Furlong but I can accept that that might be a biased opinion.
    I don't see how Naoupu can be a better option off the bench than Shane Jennings either.

Buer wrote: »
    This goes against all normal logic but I actually prefer if it's miserable weather when we go to Galway.

The last time we had good weather, we were thumped 30-6. The crowd showed up, got the drinks in, was raucous and roared on the team. In 2010, we went there and, in bright sunshine, were stuffed 27-13.

Leinster generally tend to win tight and ugly when we win in Galway and use our stronger pack to wrestle the victory.

I'd still much rather see it sunny honestly, this isn't a World Cup final against the all blacks we're talking about, I'd like to see us play some good expansive rugby

Hagz wrote: »
    I don't think it's a draw between Adeolokun and McFadden. Adeolokun looked out of his depth last week and McFadden is on a different level. We're talking about a kid who's just dipping his toe in professional rugby, and a player who has two heineken cup medals and features for his country.
    I would also say that international props McGrath and Ross are both better than Buckley and White.
    And Toner and McCarthy are definitley better than Muldowney and Roux, otherwise Roux would still be playing his rugby in Leinster.

Also, Delahunt is not a draw with Bryan Byrne. Delahunt was rejected by the Leinster Academy and has only recently made the switch to hooker, whereas Bryan Byrne played for the Emerging Ireland team in the summer and looked great off the bench last week.

Rodney Ah You is not better than Tadhg Furlong but I can accept that that might be a biased opinion.
    I don't see how Naoupu can be a better option off the bench than Shane Jennings either.

Eloquent as always

Tox56 wrote: »
    I'd still much rather see it sunny honestly, this isn't a World Cup final against the all blacks we're talking about, I'd like to see us play some good expansive rugby

Yes lets play to our ability not theirs

No offence

/well there really is, damn feckers :pac:

• Advertisement

The problem is we often get suckered into a fight against Connacht. Ideally I'd like to see us move it around a bit, but not in the sense to attack but rather tire them out.

Mr. Patrick Power has it -7

Hagz wrote: »

Know that, but it's 1 lonely match, and McFadd just came back from injury, Niyi is a revelation

I think Joe Schmidt will rate them highly now they are both IQ

Roux hadn't prooved his talent because of a 6 month injury, and even with it, he made the semi-final against Ulster

They both have NO professional experience, nothing can easily be predicted

That is one

Naoupu is GREAT on his good days, it could be one of them

agree to disagree:)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Roux played against Ulster due to McCarthy being injured (fairly sure it was McCarthy anyway).

Anyway good to see an ex-Connacht vs an ex-Leinster, sparkles to come!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

3. Nathan White 3. Ross

7. Willie Faloon 7. Ryan

Replacements:

I think your green tinted glasses need a trip to specsavers. Front row and second row, not even open for debate, how far wrong that is.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Know that, but it's 1 lonely match, and McFadd just came back from injury, Niyi is a revelation

He was only out for a week? Hardly much of an injury....
    I think Joe Schmidt will rate them highly now they are both IQ

Why? They are good players but at this stage the have a bit to do to surpass internationals.
    Roux hadn't prooved his talent because of a 6 month injury, and even with it, he made the semi-final against Ulster

Roux was injured for 6 months the season before last. He was fit for most, if not all, of last season. He was playing with the As and got his spot in the Ulster game due to injury. He is well and truly behind both Toner and Macca.
    They both have NO professional experience, nothing can easily be predicted

Byrne was selected for the Leinster Academy when Delahunt wasn't. Thats a decent barometer.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Buer wrote: »

34-6 actually ;)

Just for your viewing pleasure...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Zzippy wrote: »
    34-6 actually ;)

That was in the last days of Joe's reign of terror. Totally different ball game now.

• Advertisement

Still did a treble that year

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement