Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread III

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

True. But sport often transcends logic. Mentality and morale are hugely important.

I wonder, in the last 10 HC, how often was it won by the starting favourite.

It doesn't often transcend logic.

The bookies give about a 20% chance of thr favourite to win the H Cup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

Buer wrote: »
    How could the bookies get spanked when the favourites lose?

The money went on Cork both to win it outright (10/1) and to win the match (3/1). Odds were shortening but they took a hit.

I should point it out that there's a huge difference between being 10/1 to win a tournament and 10/1 in a 1 off match.

Also the car crash scenario that someone brought up....that's a 1 off over a perios of time. So there's a 20% probability that you will be involved in some sort of crash over a defined period of time,,,,,not ot be confused with every time you are in a car.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

.ak wrote: »
    Is it not the other way around? So when 100 people bet on Quins, but 5 bet on Munster, then the bookies have made more money in only having to pay out to 5 punters (albeit at higher odds)

I'm pretty certain I'm correct. Hopefully the resident expert will clarify either way!

True. But sport often transcends logic. Mentality and morale are hugely important.

I wonder, in the last 10 HC, how often was it won by the starting favourite.

If one had already shown an inability to understand logic, one probably shouldn't go about saying things like the above. If one can't understand something, how could one feel qualified to make the statement that sport goes beyond the limits of logic? (and often!).

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Human beings are irrational, therefore they would transcend logic in any field or context.

That's the way I'd look at it anyway.

• Advertisement

A balanced book is covered regardless of result.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parimutuel_betting is an example of an "always balanced" book.

But due to free information, this type of bookmaking is now almost completely extinct.

If the punters were - as correct as possible - the GTO bookmaking book would be balanced.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

If one had already shown an inability to understand logic, one probably shouldn't go about saying things like the above. If one can't understand something, how could one feel qualified to make the statement that sport goes beyond the limits of logic? (and often!).

Heh.

One does understand logic, one also understands the logical result is not always achieved.

Heh.

One does understand logic, one also understands the logical expected result is not always achieved.

which is clearly logical.

By your reasoning, a fair die is illogical. As the expected result is 3.5, yet a die can never show 3.5.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

tumblr_leetnv21it1qdoghio1_400.gif

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,512 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

There was nothing illogical about Munster beating Quins (particularly considering Quins were doing a bit **** at the time), just unexpected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Podge_irl wrote: »
    There was nothing illogical about Munster beating Quins (particularly considering Quins were doing a bit **** at the time), just unexpected.

But Munster were very **** at the time.

jm08 wrote: »
    But Munster were very **** at the time.

I would term that match an upset. But not a big upset.

Munster have proven over the years they can rise the challenge in a 1 off match.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Heh.

One does understand logic, one also understands the logical result is not always achieved.
    which is clearly logical.

By your reasoning, a fair die is illogical. As the expected result is 3.5, yet a die can never show 3.5.

Okay, you're melting my brain now, and this totally fits in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950241

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

.ak wrote: »
    Okay, you're melting my brain now, and this totally fits in this thread: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056950241

Deadly. Perfect place for my math equation that sums up my thoughts. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Tomfla

The bookies don't lose when a favourite wins. The trick, as I understand it, is that if the favourite wins the losing stakes from the other losers would cover their payout.

If one of the non-favourites win, the bookie needs to make sure that the large amount of favourite stakes cover most or all of the large payout.

The bookie won't always be able to balance things like that but if they do it more often than not they are in profit.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15 Unapologetic

Was anyone really that surprised when Munster beat Quins?

I certainly wasn't, was more surprised by Munster being able to compete so well against Clermont. But I thought Clermont had overcome their playoff problems, which clearly they hadn't.

Those two games showed that on their day Munster can give anyone a run for their money, is that a surprise? No.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

I certainly wasn't, was more surprised by Munster being able to compete so well against Clermont. But I thought Clermont had overcome their playoff problems, which clearly they hadn't.

Those two games showed that on their day Munster can give anyone a run for their money, is that a surprise? No.

You have to remember how badly Munster played in the Pro12 in the previous rounds, including being beaten by the Dragons, hammered by Treviso and absolutely destroyed by Glasgow. In light of those results, it was very hard to know which Munster team would show up. There's always been this "they'll get it together on the day" for the Heineken Cup, but you can only go to that well so often.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Rightwing wrote: »
    The money went on Cork both to win it outright (10/1) and to win the match (3/1). Odds were shortening but they took a hit.

I should point it out that there's a huge difference between being 10/1 to win a tournament and 10/1 in a 1 off match.

Also the car crash scenario that someone brought up....that's a 1 off over a perios of time. So there's a 20% probability that you will be involved in some sort of crash over a defined period of time,,,,,not ot be confused with every time you are in a car.

Some serious codology going on there. You don't really know what you're on about in the above

I don't know much about how bookmakers operate internally but it's common knowledge that favorites are backed more, and hence the bookies always like to see an outisder win

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Ugo Monye spacecraft experience

Buer wrote: »
    How could the bookies get spanked when the favourites lose?
    The bookies lose money when favourites lose. In your example they would have wanted cork to win.

I see I've been beaten to it. Although I don't expect logic and facts to prevail

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

You're a right barrel of laughs.

Attack the post not the poster please.

• Advertisement

I agree. We had them rattled, if Murray had a little more composure we'd have got a try and prob gone on to win it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭former legend

Rightwing wrote: »
    I agree. We had them rattled, if Murray had a little more composure we'd have got a try and prob gone on to win it out.

And if Clermont had any composure at all, they'd have been out of sight.

And if Clermont had any composure at all, they'd have been out of sight.

That's why we got in their face ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭kooga

munster squad training in UCC Mardyke pitches

• Registered Users Posts: 23,771 ✭✭✭✭phog

From MRSC Facebook page
    To celebrate Bank of Ireland’s return as Main Sponsor of Munster Rugby, we have new Munster jerseys to give away all week. Visit this page from Monday and check out our “Munster Memories” as we look back at some of the most memorable moments from the previous periods of the bank’s sponsorship:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,771 ✭✭✭✭phog

kooga wrote: »
    munster squad training in UCC Mardyke pitches

From MR tweeter

BRy1m0lCAAAiXEQ.jpg:large

I suppose a few more will be added to MR.ie later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Alright lads. Just buying a season ticket there.Which terrace in Thomond is the home terrace or more of a home terrace? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

shezer wrote: »
    Alright lads. Just buying a season ticket there.Which terrace in Thomond is the home terrace or more of a home terrace? Thanks

Not sure there's such a thing really. Given the East terrace as it is has been around for longer, there's probably more of an established crowd there. I prefer it too as the layout is more open, whereas the West terrace is divided up into 'pods' which I find really annoying. The East terrace is probably better for getting into / out of the ground quickly.

On the West side, you're closer to the supporter's club bar (if you're a member, probably not) which can have quicker service than the other bars on HC games. Also, the West terrace is probably a bit more sheltered from the rain than the East. Both are technically covered, but the East in particular is susceptible to the wind driving rain into your face.

So basically, I'm no help. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

who_me wrote: »
    Not sure there's such a thing really. Given the East terrace as it is has been around for longer, there's probably more of an established crowd there. I prefer it too as the layout is more open, whereas the West terrace is divided up into 'pods' which I find really annoying. The East terrace is probably better for getting into / out of the ground quickly.

On the West side, you're closer to the supporter's club bar (if you're a member, probably not) which can have quicker service than the other bars on HC games. Also, the West terrace is probably a bit more sheltered from the rain than the East. Both are technically covered, but the East in particular is susceptible to the wind driving rain into your face.

So basically, I'm no help. :)

So the East??? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

shezer wrote: »
    So the East??? :)

East terrace is the best spot in the ground. No question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement