Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

French rugby Updates : Le café du Rugby.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,599 ✭✭✭matthew8

Predictions:

Round 25:

Castres 4 vs Montpellier 1
    Oyonnax 1 vs Toulouse 4
    Perpignan 1 vs Toulon 4
    Biarritz 1 vs Brive 4
    Grenoble 4 vs Bayonne 1
    Racing M 4 vs Clermont 1
    Stade F 4 vs Bordeaux 1

Round 26:

Brive 5 vs Oyonnax 0
    Bayonne 1 vs Castres 4
    Bordeaux 5 vs Biarritz 0
    Clermont 5 vs Perpignan 0
    Montpellier 4 vs Racing M 1
    Toulon 5 vs Stade F 0
    Toulouse 5 vs Grenoble 0

Toulon 78
    Clermont 75
    Montpellier 75
    Toulouse 71
    Racing M 70
    Castres 70
    Bordeaux 65
    Brive 65
    Stade F 63
    Grenoble 55
    Perpignan 51
    Bayonne 50
    Oyonnax 49
    Biarritz 27

The 6 playoff teams seem fairly nailed on by now so the real battle becomes the battle for top 2, battle for the 4th spot and the relegation fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Neoulous

iroced wrote: »
    Ha. Come on Neoulous. USAP-Oyonnax is a historical game. Could be your last at home in Top 14 :P :D. More seriously, last home game to your man of the match, Guillem Guirado. Great inspiration on your try. Bar that and Hook's 100% and moments of brilliance, nothing much to see really. But a win is a win. Now you have to get something against Toulon. Hopefully they'll be focused on their HC semi.

Actually you owe us! Again Montpellier did everything to help you! We thrashed Bayonne 2 weeks ago. Now we pu Grenoble into teh deep crisis! We're always here for you. If you could repay us by beating Toulon that'd be up to ourself to beat Racing at home for securing a top 2 finish!

Ah you b*st*rd ! :D !

I'd love that we "help you" next week though :cool:.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

I watched Montpellier- Grenoble. Very nice game to watch. When is OUedraogo coming back ? I really fancy MHR for the title this year. They have no HCup, I can't see Castres, Racing or Toulouse giving them much trouble and Toulon and Clermont will be tired ...
    Trinh Duc very interesting when his team is on the front foot as usual and not as good when having to play territory and game management. His goal kicking is getting very good though, it's nice to see.
    On the Grenoble side I still Fancy Caminati.

Who said that Top14 was awful boring Mr Lenihan ????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,308 ✭✭✭✭.ak

Would love to see Montpellier challenge the title allright. Must try and catch the Grenoble highlights, sounds like some cracking tries scored.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

matthew8 wrote: »
    Predictions:

Toulon 78
    Clermont 75
    Montpellier 75
    Toulouse 71
    Racing M 70
    Castres 70
    Bordeaux 65
    Brive 65
    Stade F 63
    Grenoble 55
    Perpignan 51
    Bayonne 50
    Oyonnax 49
    Biarritz 27
    Would love that. Means Montpellier 2nd :cool:.
    BoarHunter wrote: »
    I watched Montpellier- Grenoble. Very nice game to watch. When is OUedraogo coming back ? I really fancy MHR for the title this year. They have no HCup, I can't see Castres, Racing or Toulouse giving them much trouble and Toulon and Clermont will be tired ...
    Trinh Duc very interesting when his team is on the front foot as usual and not as good when having to play territory and game management. His goal kicking is getting very good though, it's nice to see.
    On the Grenoble side I still Fancy Caminati.

Who said that Top14 was awful boring Mr Lenihan ????

Ouedraogo should be back soon enough. He was in contention to feature in Grenoble (=> http://www.rugbyrama.fr/rugby/top-14/2013-2014/montpellier-retour-mi-avril-pour-ouedraogo_sto4193058/story.shtml). Hopefully he'll be fully fit for the finals.
    .ak wrote: »
    Would love to see Montpellier challenge the title allright. Must try and catch the Grenoble highlights, sounds like some cracking tries scored.

Would love it too :D.

Do you have access to these highlights from Ireland ?
    => http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1o21d1_grenoble-montpellier-30-36-j24-saison-2013-2014_sport

If so you'll find highlights of the entire 2013-2014 season and before here => http://www.dailymotion.com/user/TOP14/1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,076 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

iroced wrote: »

Do you have access to these highlights from Ireland ?
    => http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x1o21d1_grenoble-montpellier-30-36-j24-saison-2013-2014_sport

If so you'll find highlights of the entire 2013-2014 season and before here => http://www.dailymotion.com/user/TOP14/1.

Yes, that link works here. We get a weekly 30 minute program too on Setanta, for those who have it, but we can practice our French using your link! ;) Thanks.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I was expecting something special for Nagusa's try. Underwhelmed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭Molester Stallone

Just noticed that sky have exclusive rights to the Top 14 from next season, 55 matches to be shown

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I know people have slightly discussed it already but whats happened to Grenoble? Lost their last 5 games including two hammerings by Brive and Oyonnaux. Any major reason for the big fall off in results?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The snow melted?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,258 ✭✭✭✭Buer

I know people have slightly discussed it already but whats happened to Grenoble? Lost their last 5 games including two hammerings by Brive and Oyonnaux. Any major reason for the big fall off in results?

It's bizarre. The first defeat was at home also....to Biarritz!

It's a spectacular fall off and they're now in genuine danger of being relegated. I scoffed at such a thing only a couple of weeks ago on here and now I am beginning to fear for them.

If they lose at home to Bayonne tomorrow, they could be in real trouble and they've already made a glut of signings for next season: Aplon, Brugnaut, Wisniewski, Jackson Willison and Charl McLeod among others.

They were never really that good (when they were in the playoff spots their very mediocre points difference stuck out like a sore thumb) and were absurdly lucky to beat Clermont and Toulon (both games won with favourable refereeing decisions and gift-wrapped tries from the opposition, and even in the home game to Toulon Wilko missed a last second conversion to tie). They got hammered by Brive but Stade and Toulon were well beaten there too so perhaps that was to be expected. Oyonnax also a very good home team (Bordeaux lost by 14 there recently despite good form). They lost to Biarritz at home which was a bit of a shock but Toulon also nearly lost home to Biarritz because they go for every game, home or away. The above poster joked the snow melted but I actually think there's truth there. They'd much rather if they got Montpellier in the middle of winter. The good weather last week really favoured them. I didn't see the Racing game but again they played them at the wrong time of the season (Racing in very good form and don't seem to give a damn about whether they're at home or away as they've won everything recently).

The squad's not that good (Peter Kimlin is their star player) and their largest win all year was by 13 points. I think all that's happened in the last few weeks is they've gone down to where they belong in the table.

Montpellier pick up a crucial last second away bonus at Castres. Last game for Romain Teulet, the club legend. That point could very possibly give them the semi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,262 ✭✭✭iroced

Again the same story in Pierre-Antoine. We take an early lead and can't build on it. We also make a habit of finishing badly the 1st half. This try "killed" us today. That said we fought back and got (another) LBP.

If I look in the back mirror on this 2013-14 season, over the 13 away games we played we won 4 (best current record in the league) and got 6 LBP. We came back empty-handed only 3 times (Toulon, Clermont and Perpignan). Overall we grabbed 22 away points this year (again best current record in the league). It's a huge improvement on previous seasons.

It's a pity we dropped 2 pts home to Toulon (our will to constantly play backfired on that day) and more importantly we lost our home clash with Castres. These latter 3 pts would have given us a semi-final spot tonight.

Ah well, we now have to "finish" the regular season on a high by beating Racing at home. It'll be very tough considering their recent form but the good point is that it'll be a great preparation for the finals.

They were never really that good (when they were in the playoff spots their very mediocre points difference stuck out like a sore thumb) and were absurdly lucky to beat Clermont and Toulon (both games won with favourable refereeing decisions and gift-wrapped tries from the opposition, and even in the home game to Toulon Wilko missed a last second conversion to tie). They got hammered by Brive but Stade and Toulon were well beaten there too so perhaps that was to be expected. Oyonnax also a very good home team (Bordeaux lost by 14 there recently despite good form). They lost to Biarritz at home which was a bit of a shock but Toulon also nearly lost home to Biarritz because they go for every game, home or away. The above poster joked the snow melted but I actually think there's truth there. They'd much rather if they got Montpellier in the middle of winter. The good weather last week really favoured them. I didn't see the Racing game but again they played them at the wrong time of the season (Racing in very good form and don't seem to give a damn about whether they're at home or away as they've won everything recently).

The squad's not that good (Peter Kimlin is their star player) and their largest win all year was by 13 points. I think all that's happened in the last few weeks is they've gone down to where they belong in the table.

Beware though! Grenoble don't actually get that much snow and they didn't get any at all this year. Grenoble is located in a basin encirlced by 2000+ m high mountains on pretty much every sides. It's infamous for its heat and pollution. Granted their winter can be pretty cold but that was not especailly the case this year.

I agree to a certain point with you. I think you're a bit harsh with them though. I think they should be a team securing a 8-10 finish in the Top 14 without any fear of relegation. I'd say the home defeat to Biarritz affected them more than we'd think. At least mentally.

I remember one of their player saying in his post-match interview (after the Biarritz game) that they'd rather look behind than in front now in the rankings. I was surprised because they were still mathematically in (and were actually in a good position back then) for a top 6 finish. I got from this that they were conscious that everything can turn upside down so quickly in this tight Top 14 and that added some pressure on them. They haven't found their game back since then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Oyonnax lead Toulouse 10-9 at half-time. If they win they'll have a great chance of staying up!

Oyonnax try disallowed! Good call but the incident was way before the touch down. 19-16 to Toulouse, 7 minutes left.

Toulouse have a last second penalty to win from 40 metres in front! 19-19 right now. Beauxis to take it.

It's an awful kick 19-19 FT.

Beauxis' miss could keep Oyonnax up!

• Advertisement

Beauxis' miss could keep Oyonnax up!

That throws the cat among the pigeons. I thought that Grenoble-Bayonne couldn't get any bigger, it just did. Every single point is massive now.

Bayonne hold the tiebreaker over Oyonnax, and Oyonnax hold it over Grenoble. Bayonne beat Grenoble 24-21 earlier in the year so that's another tiebreaker not yet decided.

That throws the cat among the pigeons. I thought that Grenoble-Bayonne couldn't get any bigger, it just did. Every single point is massive now.

Bayonne hold the tiebreaker over Oyonnax, and Oyonnax hold it over Grenoble. Bayonne beat Grenoble 24-21 earlier in the year so that's another tiebreaker not yet decided.

Brive will have nothing to play for next week so maybe Oyonnax can get at least a point there.

Very dodgy try for Perpignan! No evidence it was grounded.

Great try and finish by Bruni. Sometimes it's the "nobodies" in Toulon's side that do the best. It's a bit like Bordeaux last week, they have none of the ball but doing well on the scoreboard.

Michalak is firing them over today. Good to see him back in form.

Michalak is firing them over today. Good to see him back in form.

Then Michalak follows that up with an awful missed tackle on Mafi that leads to a Perpignan try. Typical.

• Advertisement

This is an outstanding game in the sun! Smith in the corner! Will he give it?

Dead close but not given. Referee goes back for the longest advantage I've ever seen.

Steffon Armitage might be the best club player in the world.

Steffon gets half an acre of space from the base of a Toulon scrum five metres out and gets in at the corner just before half-time.

Michalak's goal kicking has been outstanding, a few touchline kicks included! Huge score for Toulon before half-time in what's been a great match: 18-26 to Toulon.

• Advertisement

Delon tries the big dive! He should have gone lower! Knocked into touch. They really blew that overlap.

That's two tries in the corner that Toulon haven't scored!

Edit: Rudi Wulf scores!

Such upper body strength from Wulf to score! Perpignan are in big trouble if this goes over, 2 scores from a losing bonus.

It's over and Toulon are running riot. 5m scrum now after a big break. This could be the end of an era for Perpignan.

Delon blows it again! Horrible pass, forward too, to Wulf who was in in the corner unopposed.

Another try butchered by Toulon! They are all over USAP.

And Wulf is in under the sticks. It's embarrassing for Perpignan who now look like they need Bayonne to lose twice to save them, as they won't be picking up any points at Clermont either.

Another try for Wulf! Toulon can chase the BP now.

If Perpignan can't pick up the BP (and they need to close the gap by 15 points), given the almost certainty that Perpignan won't get a point at Clermont, Oyonnax and Grenoble should be safe, with Grenoble already 1 point ahead and Oyonnax level but holding the tiebreaker.

Oh Durand, that was absolutely awful! Fires the ball to Mafi on the wing who steps into touch, when USAP were camped on the Toulon line.

Perpignan coach barking out the orders in English despite being French himself:pac:.

• Advertisement

Now it's interesting 43-31. A try, a losing bonus and they go above Oyonnax.

Lobbe comes in with a clear out at the right time and Toulon then get a penalty to seal the win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

What have the racing players have written on their shorts does anyone, is it their names?

Neil3030 wrote: »
    What have the racing players have written on their shorts does anyone, is it their names?

Yes.

Grenoble finally playing some rugby, 11-0 up to Bayonne but they're probably safe no matter the result.

And Bayonne have come back to lead 15-13! This could be a disaster for Perpignan.

Are Oyonnax ahead of USAP on the head-to-head? The lnr.fr league table has USAP ahead.

Are Oyonnax ahead of USAP on the head-to-head? The lnr.fr league table has USAP ahead.

Rugbyrama have Oyonnax ahead. It's head to head aggregate right? If so Oyonnax ahead.

Rugbyrama have Oyonnax ahead. It's head to head aggregate right? If so Oyonnax ahead.

The only aggregate that Perpignan are ahead in is points scored (464 vs 439). They are level on points difference! (-104).

I imagine Virgile Bruni is relieved that Toulon were willing to buy out his contract with USAP! What an awful decision that was by Bruni in hindsight.

The only aggregate that Perpignan are ahead in is points scored (464 vs 439). They are level on points difference! (-104).

Oyonnax are ahead 34-31 in the head to head between them is what I mean. They got equal match points from their 2 games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭Swan Curry

Racing seal their win with a great try,Estebanez chips over Clermont's line and it lands in Imhoff's hands,who touches down in the corner.

Advertisement