Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster vs Glasgow Warriors, Sat 12 April 6:30pm

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,770 ✭✭✭✭phog

I'm not sure transport is the issue. When Thomond Park first opened there were crowds of 20,000+ at Rabo matches and has the public transport system changed much since then? (I genuinely don't know!). There's a lot of park and rides in place (although you can find parking in and around the estates close to TP easily enough).

I remember at the start of the season posting 10 or so reasons that could/are attributing to the fall in attendances, I'll try and dig it out.

I'm very intrigued to see how the dynamic pricing model they have introduced changes things.

Obviously the new stadium was a bit of an attraction.

The whole cost of transport has changed since the stadium has opened and has the fact that a huge number of people have moved from the mid west not to mention the reduction in disposable income.

Our average attendances per game are way up form where they were prior to the new stadium being opened.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I think also the lack of success has affected the attendance levels. When the stadium first opened in 08/09 Munster were HEC Champions, looking good to retain the trophy, and doing excellently in the Magners.

It is a fear of mine that the RDS will be developed too big for our fan base if we build for a fan base level at it's highest due to the recent success.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

CatFromHue wrote: »
    I think also the lack of success has affected the attendance levels. When the stadium first opened in 08/09 Munster were HEC Champions, looking good to retain the trophy, and doing excellently in the Magners.

It is a fear of mine that the RDS will be developed too big for our fan base if we build for a fan base level at it's highest due to the recent success.

Thing about the RDS is obviously Leinster aren't solely in control of whether it gets developed or not, they'll be thinking of the horse show and concerts and the likes too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,101 ✭✭✭Rightwing

CatFromHue wrote: »

The recession has hit this area very badly, high emigration etc. Plus around 08, there was definitely an element of a bubble with the rugby support. That wasn't a true reflection I think.

The Dublin area does have the population to sustain a big support, how big that is I don't know.

Advertisement