Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is my car clocked?

Options
  • 30-03-2020 12:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Bought a 2015 car last week from a very reputable dealership.i went for it cos it had less than 13000kms on it.only noticed a few days ago that when I turn the ignition first a number around 19500 comes up and then disappear s to the number I think it is.what is that number.was something done to the odometer???????

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭vw4life

Cork28 wrote: »
    Bought a 2015 car last week from a very reputable dealership.i went for it cos it had less than 13000kms on it.only noticed a few days ago that when I turn the ignition first a number around 19500 comes up and then disappear s to the number I think it is.what is that number.was something done to the odometer???????

What car is it.
    It might just be the next service is due at 19500 warning

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭StonedRaider

Next service due in 19500kms countdown. Same thing on mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Is 'mileage' printed on the NCT disc, did you get the NCT cert with the sale?.....

• Registered Users Posts: 51,114 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Cabin fever kicking in with some folks, seeing conspiracies everywhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,628 ✭✭✭corks finest

bazz26 wrote: »
    Cabin fever kicking in with some folks, seeing conspiracies everywhere now.

Who said that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Service indicator.

Who'd clock a 5 year old car with less than 20k on it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Service indicator.

You'd be surprised. My sister was duped into buying a car for half the price others were going at, only to notice a few days later the engine was knackered. She was enticed by the "deal."

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'd be surprised. My sister was duped into buying a car for half the price others were going at, only to notice a few days later the engine was knackered. She was enticed by the "deal."

Not remotely the same as a reputable main dealer clocking an already low mileage car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭X6.430macman

colm_mcm wrote:
    Not remotely the same as a reputable main dealer clocking an already low mileage car.

I wouldn't put it passed most "reputable" dealers to do it...

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭hondar

it's just to tell you how many miles you have left before your next service is due.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Genuine question - how easy is it for a dealer to clock a car?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

colm_mcm wrote: »

All we know is, the op is under the impression the dealer is reputable.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Genuine question - how easy is it for a dealer to clock a car?

The actual doing it on the car bit? Easy
    Doing it in secret from employees? Hard
    Fabricating a service history around the new mileage? Risky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

The actual doing it on the car bit? Easy
    Doing it in secret from employees? Hard
    Fabricating a service history around the new mileage? Risky

getting away with it ? Priceless

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Cork28

It's a Nissan juke.just looked there the number is actually 19834 .I was told it was serviced before I got it.would it be that long to another service

I know,it's rediculous

Thanks for her replys.
    I'm very cautious about cars as my last car was a zafira and we all know what problems they caused

There would be no point in clocking a car down from 19500km.

Thanks for her replys.
    I'm very cautious about cars as my last car was a zafira and we all know what problems they caused

And you’re in cork!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,500 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...]

11 years ago ms jou bought 1 year old then car from main dealer (of the same brand she was buying) and dealer claimed they imported it from UK based same brand main dealer where car was used as demo car. It didn't even have Irish plates yet, they registered it shortly before she collected it.

Car had 10k miles on the clock.

Soon after collection we checked its software elsewhere.

We found despite 10k miles on the clock car had 25k miles stored in ECU.

Conclusion - it's possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

joujoujou wrote: »
    11 years ago ms jou bought 1 year old then car from main dealer (of the same brand she was buying) and dealer claimed they imported it from UK based same brand main dealer where car was used as demo car. It didn't even have Irish plates yet, they registered it shortly before she collected it.

Car had 10k miles on the clock.

Soon after collection we checked its software elsewhere.

We found despite 10k miles on the clock car had 25k miles stored in ECU.

Conclusion - it's possible.
    A high mileage 1 year old car clocked to look like an average mileage 1 year old car is very different to a 5 year old already very low mileage car. There would be nothing to gain from taking 7k kilometres off a 20k 5 year old car. It's not going to go for much more money if at all

• Registered Users Posts: 14,721 ✭✭✭✭CianRyan

On a Nissan Juke the mileage to service is displayed when the car is first started. The service schedule for a Juke is 20,000km.

OP, do you know which engine it has?

Thank you so much.yes I feel silly now.thats what it is🙄

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

All's well that ends well :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement