Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Proper term for vehicle owner?

• 28-03-2020 11:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭

Is there a specific legal term for the owner of a vehicle? I've heard something along the lines of "registered keeper", but I don't know where it comes from.

What act does the term come from?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,288 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Victor wrote: »
    Is there a specific legal term for the owner of a vehicle? I've heard something along the lines of "registered keeper", but I don't know where it comes from.

I thought Registered Keeper was a UK term on the V5. The Irish registration document says Registered Owner so I would imagine that is the correct term to use here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Irish registration certificates specify the person listed in the document as "Registered Owner".

Interesting fact though is, that Irish registration certificates, according to EU law shown in Directive 1999/37/EC does not prove ownership of the vehicle...

In other words, some EU countries do issue registration certificates which are a proof of vehicle ownership. Ireland is not one of them even though person listed there is listed under the section "Registered owner" (mistakenly I assume).

To expand this subject you can notice that person details are listed under C.1.1, C.1.2, and C.1.3 fields which are described in above directive as follows:
    (C) personal data

(C.1) holder of the registration certificate:

(C.1.1) surname or business name

(C.1.2) other name(s) or initial(s) (where appropriate)

(C.1.3) address in the Member State of registration on the date of issue of the document

That is the holder of registration certificate.
    If person was meant to be presented there as vehicle owner, it would be under C.2 section:
    (C) personal data

(C.2) owner of the vehicle

(C.2.1) surname or business name

(C.2.2) other name(s) or initial(s) (where appropriate)

(C.2.3) address in the Member State of registration, on the date of issue of the document

Nothing like that though as C.2 section on Irish logbooks.

Also even the wording "Úinéir Cláraithe - Registered Owner" is listed under section C.4.C which section (C.4) could possibly also be a proof that person listed in C.1 is also the vehicle owner. Unfortunately it would have to be C.4.A instead of C.4.C which is used on Irish registration certs.
    (C.4) Where the particulars specified in VI, code C.2 are not included in the registration certificate, reference to the fact that the holder of the registration certificate:

(a) is the vehicle owner

(b) is not the vehicle owner

(c) is not identified by the registration certificate as being the vehicle owner

This might be bit offtopic to OP's question, but I though it might be useful for someone.
    Cost me lots of nerves when I was trying to register my Irish car abroad, and I had no document to proof that I'm the owner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,477 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

In the uk, they actually differentiate between actual owner (who legally owns the car) and registered keeper (who drives, taxes, it etc)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭i57dwun4yb1pt8

Registered Owner is the irish term i know of .

Skoda paper work has 'moneypit - sucker' but that must be a jargon term of some sort

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,490 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Thanks all.
    CiniO wrote: »
    Irish registration certificates specify the person listed in the document as "Registered Owner".

Interesting fact though is, that Irish registration certificates, according to EU law shown in Directive 1999/37/EC does not prove ownership of the vehicle...

In other words, some EU countries do issue registration certificates which are a proof of vehicle ownership. Ireland is not one of them even though person listed there is listed under the section "Registered owner" (mistakenly I assume).

I wonder if the difference is for company ownership or hire-purchase and similar situations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

There are two definitions in Irish law, "owner" and "registered owner".

Owner is the person who keeps a vehicle or in relation to a HP/lease agreement takes possession of a vehicle.

Registered owner is the person who's names is most recently entered in the joint licensing records.

Essentially though they are both the same.

GM228 wrote: »
    There are two definitions in Irish law, "owner" and "registered owner".

Owner is the person who keeps a vehicle or in relation to a HP/lease agreement takes possession of a vehicle.

Registered owner is the person who's names is most recently entered in the joint licensing records.

Essentially though they are both the same.

Does being "Registered owner" and being entered in the joint licensing records, and being listed as "Registered Owner" on registration certificate prove that person actually owns that vehicle according to Irish law ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,011 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

How does it work for companies with hundreds or thousands of vehicles - e.g. Gardai, HSE, An Post, Dublin Bus etc.

Does there have to be a named person registered as the owner?

How does it work for companies with hundreds or thousands of vehicles - e.g. Gardai, HSE, An Post, Dublin Bus etc.

It doesn't need to be a person.
    A company can also be the owner, and company name can be listed in reg cert as registered owner.

CiniO wrote: »
    Does being "Registered owner" and being entered in the joint licensing records, and being listed as "Registered Owner" on registration certificate prove that person actually owns that vehicle according to Irish law ?

Yes, because in law "ownership" is essentially the right of possession or control over something, the person who is in possession or keeps the vehicle is the "owner", and the person who keeps the vehicle is supposed to have their name on the VLC, that is why for example garages are supposed to temporarily change ownership of vehicles into their own names between sales.

• Advertisement

Company vehicles are registered to the the holder of the trade licence.

Government owned vehicles are registered to the appropriate minister or other representative of the organisation, for example Garda vehicles are registered to the Minister of Justice, C/O the Garda Commissioner, Garda HQ. HSE vehicles to Minister for Health etc. The exception being PSO vehicles which are owned by the NTA, but registered with their operators.

GM228 wrote: »
    Yes, because in law "ownership" is essentially the right of possession or control over something, the person who is in possession or keeps the vehicle is the "owner", and the person who keeps the vehicle is supposed to have their name on the VLC, that is why for example garages are supposed to temporarily change ownership of vehicles into their own names between sales.

Thanks for reply.

That makes it interesting, why Irish registration certificates don't follow EU directive rules, and list the person as "holder of the registration certificate" under section C.1 instead of listing that person as "owner of the vehicle" under section C.2.
    Even more strange why wording "Registered owner" on the registration cert is listed under C.4.C which confirms that person listed under section C.1 is not identified by the registration certificate as being the vehicle owner, while it could be just C.4.A which would confirm that holder of the registration certificate is the vehicle owner.
    Would you know for a reason for that?

(all above in relation to my post earlier in this thread).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

In US circles, they call it a tactical torch. You're probably more familiar with light saber...

Advertisement