Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Taxing new commercial

Options
  • 26-03-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

Hi, just wondering if anyone knows what theyre doig about taxing a newly purchased commercial for the first time now with the tax offices shut down ?
    Need a pin to tax online but you only get one after first taxing as you need to prove use as commercial etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,880 ✭✭✭sc86

im in same boat , cant tax it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Just post completed required documents into the office, Most are working behind closed doors.

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

I can’t find somewhere to weigh mine at the moment...

Why do vans etc need to be weighed to be taxed first time anyway??

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭MactheKnife90

are insurance companies opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭Quandary

Hey folks,

Trying to tax my hilux after buying over a month ago. I've been calling the tax office in Dublin but no answer. I just need to confirm exactly what docs they require before I post the application.

I will be including the following

RF100A
    RF111A goods only declaration
    Certificate of motor insurance

Do I need to include anything else before I post, because the last thing I want is to have to submit it all again when they inevitably lose some of my original docs. Is there anything else I need to include? Has anyone been able to tax a commercial vehicle successfully for the first time in the last 2 months?

• Advertisement

Just post completed required documents into the office, Most are working behind closed doors.

What docs did you have to include?
    Have you managed to get your disc yet?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

TheFarrier wrote: »
    I can’t find somewhere to weigh mine at the moment...

Why do vans etc need to be weighed to be taxed first time anyway??

It's a PITA. Found out after paying €50 for a weighbridge printout that Glanbia sites charge €20 or €25 for same.
    Don't know why they need it, but the hoops to jump through getting first tax on a commercial vehicle are ridiculous...

RF100 Form
    Weight Docket (must be authorised weighbridge)
    Insurance Cert
    Garda form signed (RF111A)
    CRW (road cert, if >1 yr old)
    Proof of VAT reg - Revenue letter or Accountant letter (headed paper)
    Vehicle Reg Cert

Advise to post all required to local tax office, in fairness they're very helpful and turn it around quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,315 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

akasudonim wrote: »
    It's a PITA. Found out after paying €50 for a weighbridge printout that Glanbia sites charge €20 or €25 for same.
    Don't know why they need it, but the hoops to jump through getting first tax on a commercial vehicle are ridiculous...

RF100 Form
    Insurance Cert
    Vehicle Reg Cert

Advise to post all required to local tax office, in fairness they're very helpful and turn it around quickly.

You're right, except for proof of VAT. Its not required.

Pkiernan wrote: »

I wonder is the weight docket necessary for me taxing a hilux, seeing as it is not a brand new vehicle. I think the weigh bridge in Lusk is open as usual, so I could get one, but obviously if its not necessary I'd rather not.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

You only need a weight docket for an import. Factory weight will be sufficient for a brand new commercial vehicle. That's the info I got from the Dublin City Motor Tax section

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73,389 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

akasudonim wrote: »

RF100 Form
    Insurance Cert
    Vehicle Reg Cert

Jaysus, I used to pay €12, and thought I was being ripped off at that.

Also, I think there's a different declaration specific to crewcabs?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Is the insurance cert required?? I posted mine on Monday but all I did was fill in the insurance details on the rf100 form.
    Thanks

Btw got mine weighed at kanturk coop weighbridge, it’s a council approved one and wasn’t charged having it done

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭akasudonim

Pkiernan wrote: »

Yes you're right, it actually said proof that the registered owner is registered for tax/vat, but you need one, matching the VAT/Tax number on the RF111A form.

And it was an import so I guess that's why needed the weigh bridge.

Farrier they required the original insurance cert, copy no good, but had it back by post within the week.
    You did well on the weigh bridge!! - I couldn't believe it cost €50, my own fault for rushing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,648 ✭✭✭knifey_spoonie

Quandary wrote: »
    What docs did you have to include?
    Have you managed to get your disc yet?

Thanks

Depends on your situation.

You will need the RF100 Completed fully
    Weight Docket
    Goods only declaration

You may need proof of VAT registration, in my case vehicle was registered using the CRO number and also a well known business locally so its wasn't needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 281 ✭✭lanno

Have you tried to tax online,as they have removed some requirements like needing a valid cvrt to tax currently. Your pin is the last 6 digits of chassis no

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I wonder is the weight docket necessary for me taxing a hilux, seeing as it is not a brand new vehicle. I think the weigh bridge in Lusk is open as usual, so I could get one, but obviously if its not necessary I'd rather not.

If it is your first time taxing a vehicle, it must be weighed. (If it's over 1500kg).
    Weighmaster will give you the weighbridge printout, and complete a form for the Council.
    This is the case be it a new vehicle, or secondhand.
    Got an Isuzu Trooper weighed at the local recycling centre/ waste facility last week, €13.
    DOE pass cert is not needed at the moment, so make sure and get the full 12 months tax....

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If it is your first time taxing a vehicle, it must be weighed. (If it's over 1500kg).
    Weighmaster will give you the weighbridge printout, and complete a form for the Council.
    This is the case be it a new vehicle, or secondhand.
    Got an Isuzu Trooper weighed at the local recycling centre/ waste facility last week, €13.
    DOE pass cert is not needed at the moment, so make sure and get the full 12 months tax....

Were you taxing the vehicle in Dublin? If so did you send in the docs by post or was it possible to go in to the motor tax office?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,399 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hey folks,

Trying to tax my hilux after buying over a month ago. I've been calling the tax office in Dublin but no answer. I just need to confirm exactly what docs they require before I post the application.

I will be including the following

RF100A
    RF111A goods only declaration
    Certificate of motor insurance

Do I need to include anything else before I post, because the last thing I want is to have to submit it all again when they inevitably lose some of my original docs. Is there anything else I need to include? Has anyone been able to tax a commercial vehicle successfully for the first time in the last 2 months?

Check the website of your local authority.
    They will have a list of the required documentation.
    It's important to check your own LA because the requirements can differ from county to county.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Were you taxing the vehicle in Dublin? If so did you send in the docs by post or was it possible to go in to the motor tax office?

Taxing in Cavan.
    Office closed to the public.
    Put all documents in the letterbox of the motor tax office there. Put my phone number on the envelope in case of any problems, and also wrote a request for them not to bother posting it out, as I work only 100 yards away.
    They rang me the next day and I said I'd be at the door in 5 minutes
    Sure enough, door opened about 12 inches, was asked my name, and all the docs and the disk was passed out to me.
    Top class service.

So I finally managed to get through and speak to a person in the Dublin City Motor Tax office on Blackhall Walk. Spoke to a very helpful lady who insisted that only the following documents are needed to tax my vehicle:

RF111A - Goods Only Declaration
    RF100A - Motor Tax Renewal Form
    Certificate of Motor Insurance
    Weight Docket from authorised weighbridge

Nothing else. She said the tax discs are usually sent out within a few working days, but because they are running a skeleton staff it takes about a week longer.

Thanks for the help guys and I hope this is of use to anyone needing to tax their vehicle by post!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭jimbooth

Why the different rules for different counties?
    Rang my local in Newcastle West Co. Limerick and was told to tax a recently bought second hand van commercially I need the forms already mentioned AND a Tax clearance certificate AND proof of Vat registration! 😀!
    As a small business user I'm not Vat registered as my turnover doesn't require me to be.

jimbooth wrote: »
    Why the different rules for different counties?
    Rang my local in Newcastle West Co. Limerick and was told to tax a recently bought second hand van commercially I need the forms already mentioned AND a Tax clearance certificate AND proof of Vat registration! ��!
    As a small business user I'm not Vat registered as my turnover doesn't require me to be.

I mentioned this in a post above.

It's anomaly in the system which allows the Local Authority to decide what documentation they require.

Like the good bureaucrats that they are some of the LA's get carried away and look for more than others.

You probably won't get anywhere arguing with the office staff as they are just doing what they are told.

Might be worthwhile getting on to a local councillor.

Just go in and argue your case, ask them how many farmers they tax vehicles for and none of them (or very few) will be vat registered. Remind them there is no need to vat register under a certain threashold.

That being said you should consider registering for vat, do the sums on it. You would be reclaiming vat on a lot of stuff like buying the van, diesel, servicing and repairs along with lots of other stuff related to your business.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

elperello wrote: »
    I mentioned this in a post above.

It's anomaly in the system which allows the Local Authority to decide what documentation they require.

Like the good bureaucrats that they are some of the LA's get carried away and look for more than others.

You probably won't get anywhere arguing with the office staff as they are just doing what they are told.

Might be worthwhile getting on to a local councillor.

They are doing their job correctly. Its the ones not asking for the required documents who are doing it wrong.

Del2005 wrote: »
    They are doing their job correctly. Its the ones not asking for the required documents who are doing it wrong.

I don't know who is "right or wrong".

Your average van owner just wants to tax his van and will supply the documentation required.

As the other poster said there is no requirement for a small trader to register for VAT if the turnover is below the thresholds.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

elperello wrote: »
    I don't know who is "right or wrong".

Your average van owner just wants to tax his van and will supply the documentation required.

As the other poster said there is no requirement for a small trader to register for VAT if the turnover is below the thresholds.

You can easily tax your van privately, it's the people trying to scam commercial tax that have issues and complain about being asked for documents to proof that they have a commercial use for the vehicle.

You can easily tax your van privately, it's the people trying to scam commercial tax that have issues and complain about being asked for documents to proof that they have a commercial use for the vehicle.

The poster making the enquiry is a small business owner with a turnover below the VAT threshhold.

You are the first to mention scams and private tax.

You know that the private tax is based on engine size and depending on the model could cost several hundred extra. Quite a hit on a small enterprise.

No they are not, no requirement exists that says a person has to be VAT registered to tax a vehicle commercially. Its just made up and is total nonsense.

Private tax is not an option as vehicle is being used commercially and it is illegal to tax privately and use commercially.
    Not Vat registered as nowhere near threshold for such, was previously with an older business but was not viable to keep it so with newer business.
    Clerk in the office stated they would not tax a vehicle without the documents requested by them as that is the remit handed down to them regarding taxing a vehicle commercially so whether you think it's wrong or not that's their line on it.

• Advertisement

You're not allowed to use a privately taxed vehicle commercially.
    No problem going documents but when I'm no required to register for Vat why look for it?
    Do you have a business ? Do you use a commercial vehicle in the course of a business?
    No "scamming" , genuine use for a small business.
    I have a private vehicle for all other use .

Advertisement