Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is the mark 1 Almera the greatest car ever?

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Firefork

I’d have thought the 87 to
    90 carina 2 would be hard to
    Beat

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,588 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Firefork wrote: »
    I’d have thought the 87 to
    90 carina 2 would be hard to
    Beat

Worst. Limerick. Ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭BrianD3

The ADAC test used a LHD Almera, whereas the Euro NCAP used a RHD example. There could possibly be differences with the bulkhead and other structural components - test results have differed substantially because of this in other examples.
    Good points, the Brava was also tested in RHD form by EuroNCAP but LHD by ADAC. Megane was LHD in both tests. The engine bay of a transverse engined car is going to be less "packed" with engine on the gearbox side, this could well be a factor. I think the N15 Almera has the gearbox on the left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,267 ✭✭✭Oops!

BrianD3 wrote: »
    Good points, the Brava was also tested in RHD form by EuroNCAP but LHD by ADAC. Megane was LHD in both tests. The engine bay of a transverse engined car is going to be less "packed" with engine on the gearbox side, this could well be a factor. I think the N15 Almera has the gearbox on the left.

Could you explain what your trying to say in those last 2 sentences?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,478 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

The NCAP is an offset test which means only one half of the car hits the obstacle.
    LHD and RHD cars have the same drivetrain but things like steering, brakes etc can be on either side depending.
    Cars behave differently depending on which side the test is done on. Depending on what market they’re aimed at, they’ll be engineered around a specific test.

It matters very little if the car is RHD or LHD the way it will react to the same test N/S or O/S. I understand it will be engineered to pass an NCAP test with the best result possible, same as Euro emissions ect... Perfect world conditions and all that jazz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Oops! wrote: »
    It matters very little if the car is RHD or LHD the way it will react to the same test N/S or O/S.

Transverse engines are inherently asymmetrical - the engine and drivetrain are going to absorb some of the impact. As colm_mcm said, accessories can be in different places, or on the "wrong" side depending on how LHD conversion was done. The bulkhead is also not symmetrical, and the steering column going through it in a different place could cause significant differences to structural integrity.
    I understand it will be engineered to pass an NCAP test with the best result possible, same as Euro emissions ect... Perfect world conditions and all that jazz.
    The N15 Almera was launched in 1995, and the Euro NCAP didn't start until 1996, so it's fairly safe to say it was engineered many years before the Euro NCAP existed. The similar ANCAP already existed in Australia/NZ, but I don't know when they started doing frontal offset tests (a more recent development).

Transverse engines are inherently asymmetrical - the engine and drivetrain are going to absorb some of the impact. As colm_mcm said, accessories can be in different places, or on the "wrong" side depending on how LHD conversion was done. The bulkhead is also not symmetrical, and the steering column going through it in a different place could cause significant differences to structural integrity.

It would cause very little differences to structural integrity if a RHD or LHD bulkhead, rack and column is used, if any at all.... It would be the same damage on either side, LHD or RHD.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

There's not to many 00 or pre 00 cars on the roads these days and what are, are mainly Toyotas and Nissan. New cars are not built to last any more with many of them being scrapped before ten years old. With it comes to reliability and an A to B journey car without the frills the Almera gets the job done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nedkelly123

i had a Porsche Boxster years ago . loved it .. sold it and needed a car . .any car just for a few days untill i decided what car to get next.
    bought a 1997 toyota carina .. for 200 euro .. ended up keeping it for 11 months .. loved it ... park it anywhere if it was gone when i came back so what .. 210k on it and never used oil .. i dont think i ever opened the bonnet on it .. gave it to a guy i know and i think its still going around .. ive a 911 now for the past 8 years.. which can be a pain as every noise or knock you have to worry about

i still miss the go anywhere , no hassle, never let you down of the 1997 carina

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭jobless

so my 2004 almera gearbox is acting up again, had it reconditioned 10 years ago and looks like its done for....
    Anyone know if its possible to buy second hand gear boxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

jobless wrote: »
    so my 2004 almera gearbox is acting up again, had it reconditioned 10 years ago and looks like its done for....

Breakers or even reach out to your mechanic, they can be got cheap just fitting with labour involved will throw up.the cost....

Is it really worth putting all that money in it

Breakers or even reach out to your mechanic, they can be got cheap just fitting with labour involved will throw up.the cost....

Is it really worth putting all that money in it

yeah thats what im trying to decide, 140k miles on it... repairs i think will be about 500 and i need a car but i guess when repairs are more than the car is worth its probably time to say goodbye...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

yeah thats what im trying to decide, 140k miles on it... repairs i think will be about 500 and i need a car but i guess when repairs are more than the car is worth its probably time to say goodbye...

Get yourself something a bit more modern, few extra comforts and gadgets.

Imo it's not worth spending anything on it.

Get yourself something a bit more modern, few extra comforts and gadgets.

Imo it's not worth spending anything on it.

yeah have had her 15 years... hard to say goodbye haha

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Dirty Nails

How is it acting up?
    If its only a bearing noise,they are very easy to split,a child would nearly fix them. The oil should be changed in them,which nobody ever does.

How is it acting up?
    If its only a bearing noise,they are very easy to split,a child would nearly fix them. The oil should be changed in them,which nobody ever does.

cant get it into gear very often, gets stuck in reverse gear at times and cant get it out

Have you had it looked at? Are you sure it not the clutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 479 ✭✭Dirty Nails

cant get it into gear very often, gets stuck in reverse gear at times and cant get it out

Most likely a little hair spring broken on whats called 5th & reverse checker.It's a trigger mechanism to prevent changing from 5th to reverse.If you had the part & the box out,it takes not much more than 30 mins to change.Common on the Primeras,identical part in the Almera box never gave trouble.

Advertisement