Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deciphering Church Register Notes

Options
  • 13-07-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

Hoping someone can decipher the the note written on the edge of a marriage entry. The couple are Edward Hynes, son of John Hynes and Margaret of 104 Thomas Street and Bridget Rodgers, daughter of John Rodgers & Rose of 1 Dawson Street.

They're the 6th couple down on the page.

The link to the church register:
    http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/reels/st_andrews_mf_1838-1880_ma_0319.pdf

I've also attached a picture of the writing I can't make out.

Any & all help appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

I started well (I think):
    "Edward Hynes is a soldier at present stationed in Galway..."

Then the wheels came off!
    ".... of that place ... written to ... now(?) living ... "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

the parish priest
    ".... of that place ... written to ..."
    not reply
    "... now(?) living ... "

edit : my guess the priest at St. Andrew's wrote to the parish where the groom was living, or where he said he was baptized looking for a letter of freedom, and there had been no reply by the time of the marriage...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

the parish priest
    ".... of that place ... written to ..." but did
    not reply by
    "... now(?) living ... "

I agree with Shane about the interpretation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

"now living with his/her brother in...114 Thomas St" Possible?

Edit: I've re-checked the page on the left and it looks more like 104 Thomas St and not 114.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Edward Hynes is a soldier at present stationed in ? the parish priest of that place has(?) been written to but did not reply he is now living with his mother(?) in 104 Thomas St.

Have you got a service record for him OP? I would put a question mark on Galway. I don't see a descender for the letter y. The other capital Gs on that page descend below the line.

• Advertisement
Advertisement