Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Caffine and I

Options
  • 20-11-2009 9:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

Since I was about 14 I've had shaky hands, the doctor said he didn't know what caused it after he got the results of a blood test that were normal for insulin, T4 etc

I came a across a internet based caffine calculator, and said I'd give it an honest go, normal caffine consumption is less than 200 mg per day, moderate/high is considered to be 200-400mg per day, problem caffine consumption is 400mg/day+.....my consumption turned out to be 1200mg/day

so i gave up all tea, coffee, coke and chocolate

day 1 was fine, no bother, was suprised to find that normal people only urinate about 4 times a day, my hands became steady and I had the best nights sleep ever

day 2 migrane (took over the counter caffine free pain killers, most aren't caffine free)

day 3 migrane (more pk)

day 4 more of the same

day 5 migrane increasing in intesnity pk dont seem to be working

day 6 had to do some hardcore study, gave in, drank a coke...migrane gone almost instantly (placebo effect? I couldn't find the pharmokinetics of caffine anywhere but surely there isnt an instant effect when its drank)

this was all a few weeks ago, by trial and error ive found out that only 1 cup of tea per day keeps the migrane away while my hands are steady but not perfect, my goal is to ween myself off what i now know to be a harmful drug, also i discovered that my caffine consumption goes hand in hand with cigarette cravings (im an in-denial-social-smoker)

hope this helps someone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Hi,

Yes, I read this with interest because I have only recently been 'relying' on coffee to keep myself awake. I got into the vicious cycle of late nights and then relying on coffee to give me more energy. It's not a good lifestyle. Caffeine is such a potent drug too, with effects all over the body.

Anyway, thanks.

Kevin

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

My cousin was a heavy coffee drinker and decided to give it up she had heavy withdrawl symptons similar to the above, especially the headaches.

I find if I drink more than two cups of coffee a day I get palpitations.

Strong Stuff:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

Same here, I'm getting awful shakes from the amount of caffeine I put into myself.
    Kevster wrote: »
    Hi,

Yes, I read this with interest because I have only recently been 'relying' on coffee to keep myself awake.

I had to desperately use the same method to keep awake during a certain presentation last summer :p:D Speaking of which, mine is in 5 hours. Did my FYP in the MI, and the presentation is in 5 hours. Opening the TESCO KICK in 2 hours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

I wasn't addicted to it over the summer when we worked at the MI together though. This is only a recent thing since I moved to the UK. Morrison's sell cheap coffee but it's so good too... ...damn them. With all the links between India and here (the UK), you can only imagine how many different cheap varieties of coffee are here! The shelves are literally full of them in supermarkets.

How did it go though?; and how did you manage to get to do your FYP there?

Kevin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

I got dependent on caffeine earlier on this year. A local shop was doing cheap take-away coffees and they were quite nice, and were a definite pick-me-up. After about a week though, I started sleeping poorly. I woke up at 5 in the morning one night, after about 4 hours sleep. Felt like I'd slept 12 hours. Couldn't get back to sleep so was wandering around the place for hours. That was after only a week of regular coffee drinking! There's definetly far more drawbacks to caffeine, and for less than the "maximum safe" dosage.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭sunnyjim

How did it go though?; and how did you manage to get to do your FYP there?

Presentation wente awful. For some reason, I couldn't get out what I wanted to say at the start. I then looked at my flash card, only to see that I had ripped it up through nervousness. I could have cried.

I was lucky to get it there - but the Ph.D guy just gone had left a good idea behind him, and Jane couldn't get round to doing it due to the workload. Right place, right time. Altough, after week 2, I got an email telling me that the projects were only 4 weeks long. Couldn't get what I wanted done then, missed out on some crucial work! I had made been assured they were 6 weeks long...! It was a caffeine heavy 2 weeks from that point!

Advertisement