Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Can hemagglutination cause ischeamia?

Options
  • 28-10-2009 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭

or is it only fibrin clotts and platlet plugs? aside from other things that can cause it... dont freak out im not a med student

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

/me ponderifies

im not sure if it happens in vivo (i doubt it, but i'd have to look it up, though thinking further on it, i dont think it happens)

In antibody/red cell interactions, there is generally binding of antibody (hither forth ab) to the appropriate antigen (ag) on the red cell. This ab can activate complement* itself (and cause the immediate destruction of the red cell intravascularly) or it can be picked up by macrophages in the spleen and the red cell is "removed" (scrapped, destroyed, meets its dooooooom).

Haemaglutination is when ab coated red cells stick together (some ab's can form crosslinks between redcells). It's not common with IgG ab (they're too small to overcome the zeta potential), and IgM tends to be a potent activator of complement (the cells have been destroyed before they can say "IgWhat?"). A lot of what allows haemaglutination to occur in tubes (blood grouping, crossmatching, etc) is the processes performed by the laboratory, like centrifuging to get the cells near to each other, and using enhancers like LISS and enzyme techniques.

Overall, my opinion would be no, but I'd suggest maybe asking some haematology textbooks.

*Complement is great stuff, go look it up. One of the great things it does is, wehn activated is punch holes in the membrane of the offending cell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭liberal

thanks,

i didn't consider complement :rolleyes:

Advertisement