Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kidney donation

Options
  • 15-10-2009 1:04am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭

Would you donate a kidney? I have been considering donating one of my own recently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

Only if a close friend or family needed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Why not a person who you don't know?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

It decreases my standard of living. I don't really care all that much about people I don't know

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

I suppose a point against it is how uncomplicated teh operation and recovery are. It probably won't impact massively longterm on your quality of life (there's plenty of redundancy in that awesome little organ) but that little shortterm peri-operative part would be an issue.

Also, fitness to donate is another issue, some of us can't/shouldn't donate blood, not to mind say solid organs.

I reckon introduction of an opt-out dead-person organ donation scheme would be a good idea, And educating people of the benefits and what actually happens.

All in all i reckon MORE organ donors, MORE living donors, MORE blood donors and other non-solid tissue donation, and MORE funding into transplantation of all sorts

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tree wrote: »
    I reckon introduction of an opt-out dead-person organ donation scheme would be a good idea,
    +100

Removing a kidney from a dead person is easier , quicker , cheaper and safer than from a live person.

Not sure of the logistics but I'd guess that resources used in removing a kidney from a live donor would be similar to that in putting one in again so twice as many could be done ?

I'm on the bone marrow register so I guess I'm ok with donating.

If it was for a relative and it was unlikely for them to receive a kidney within a resonable time then I'd go for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement