Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrons

Options
  • 11-11-2009 7:01pm
    Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey all, I'm doing an essay on drug resistance in bacteria and am looking up integrons and don't quite understand them.

One journal describes them as "assembly platforms that incorporate exogenous open reading frames (ORFs) by site-specific recombination and convert them to functional genes by ensuring their correct expression."

From this, I understand that they acquire genes from other bacteria/sources and then expresses them within the bacteria.

Would I be on the right track or am I way off?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭lockman

Hey all, I'm doing an essay on drug resistance in bacteria and am looking up integrons and don't quite understand them.

One journal describes them as "assembly platforms that incorporate exogenous open reading frames (ORFs) by site-specific recombination and convert them to functional genes by ensuring their correct expression."

From this, I understand that they acquire genes from other bacteria/sources and then expresses them within the bacteria.

Would I be on the right track or am I way off?

@ScienceNerd;

In my opinion, you are pretty much on the balls re integrons (although it has been a while since i studied them) Yes, they do acquire orf's from other sources, and tend to assemble these newly acquired orf's in cassette-like structures and so on.
    Last time i was in this field (~2003) this was at least how they were viewed then. One of the worlds experts on integrons (and so-called super-integrons typically found in Vibrio spp.) was a Dr Didier Mazel (pasteur institute, paris). Have a look a round for any of his relatively recent review papers on integrons - he writes about and explains them quite well (imho). If you require any further info, feel free to pm
    Regards,
    Lockman

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,208 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

lockman wrote: »
    Dr Didier Mazel (pasteur institute, paris). Have a look a round for any of his relatively recent review papers on integrons
    Yeah, it was his journal I was reading. I've read through it a bit more and think I understand them now, thanks for your response

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

Advertisement