Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who are the top 3 talent in RTE?

Options

Comments

I like Creedon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

John Bowman
    John Kelly
    whoever rings the Angelus bell. In 70 years, I’ve never heard them make a mistake.

I agree and like to add Dave Fanning has to be one of RTE best presenters...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,751 ✭✭✭irishguitarlad

There's something so hopeless, angry, and despairing about all the negativity that gets thrown towards RTÉ and its staff on sites like Boards, the Journal, and Twitter. It moves beyond valid criticism into this brain dead diatribe about the entire semi-state organisation being filled exclusively with talentless morons. It shows a real lack of critical thinking to be honest. I think the majority of it is down to some sort of innate jealousy and frustration from angry and confused men (it's always men) who project their own insecurities onto public figures. Men who would never have the ambition, talent, or initiative to become a politician, presenter, or public figure themselves.

RTÉ produce world class radio and television documentaries. Their current affairs and investigative journalism output is worthy of the television licence by itself. It has excellent presenters like Audrey Carville, Bryan Dobson, Rachel English, Sarah McInerney; Cormac O'hEadhra, Gavin Jennings and so on and so forth.

Then you have the wonderful John Creedon, the slightly hammy but entertaining (and knowing) Marty Morrissey. GAA, Horse Racing, and Football coverage is excellent, as is most of their sporting output. Then you have orchestras, journalists, producers etc.

I even happen to think Ryan Tubridy is grand. Certainly not deserving off the almost visceral hatred thrown at him online.

You must have family in rte with the way you always defend them in these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

The most depressing aspect abut RTE is the fact it just absolutely wastes the potential for the REAL talent that exists up in this country to shine up on its broadcasts. You have a rake of interesting people up in this country, world renowned for creating or discussing real genres such as folklore, the arts and the environment that actually live here, who know what they are talking about. These people are known throughout the world and they are largely ignored by RTE. These people have real talent, real knowledge, they'd probably do it for nothing, but they are ignored, their knowledge is ignored by the people paid vast vast sums to make absolute wasteful scutter like Ray D'arcy tell you what was in the same days morning papers at 3.30pm in the afternoon instead.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Where is all this untapped talent in Ireland that RTÉ aren't discovering?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭screamer

buried wrote: »
    The most depressing aspect abut RTE is the fact it just absolutely wastes the potential for the REAL talent that exists up in this country to shine up on its broadcasts. You have a rake of interesting people up in this country, world renowned for creating or discussing real genres such as folklore, the arts and the environment that actually live here, who know what they are talking about. These people are known throughout the world and they are largely ignored by RTE. These people have real talent, real knowledge, they'd probably do it for nothing, but they are ignored, their knowledge is ignored by the people paid vast vast sums to make absolute wasteful scutter like Ray D'arcy tell you what was in the same days morning papers at 3.30pm in the afternoon instead.

Ah yes, but any real talent would show RTE talent up for what it really is, and now we couldn’t be having that, how the feck could they justify the spend on “talent” then...... no, no keep showing the luvvies and the masses will know no different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

1.Marty
    2.George Hamilton
    3.John creedon

These guys are worth their weight in gold.All three Equally capable on the radio or the tele
    The top 2 are the best sports broadcasters by far in Ireland

RTE know that Marty is their number one and I wonder will they paradoxically try to run him into the ground by giving him show and show

Was really surprised that this thread was started in the last 20 years.

Good aul RTE, an incestuous love-in where political connections are rewarded handsomely. Ryan Tubridy and Miriam O'Callaghan two stalwarts in that regard. Seldom is natural talent or hard graft acknowledged, passed over for blood or monetary ties. And the most vociferous defenders here have skin in the game, an aggressive exercise in spin to obfuscate dire failings of a parasitic organisation that bleeds the public purse with impunity.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,933 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You must have family in rte with the way you always defend them in these threads.

Agreed, if anything came out of this Covid crisis it was me looking at RTE news for the 1st time in over 10 years and gosh, it's an horrendous mix match of excitable and Morose reporters, just dreadful stuff and shocking this is what a national broadcaster has to offer.

This said, I get a kick out of Brian Donavan in the USA, his reporting whilst not intended to be funny is hilarious, he's like a wind up robot running out of steam, would love to see him move to any Kraftwerk hit. Fergal Bowers is extraordinarily bland and depressing, I'm sure someone is nudging him of camera to kerp him awake during reports. Just awful stuff and turned off after main stories covered albeit badly.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,687 ✭✭✭buried

Where is all this untapped talent in Ireland that RTÉ aren't discovering?

They were unable to discover it for a long time Johnny. You had world renowned environmentalists and cartographers such as Tim Robinson living here for nearly 40 years, writing and discussing about the unique nature of the west of Ireland such as Connemara. Tim died this year so that won't ever be done, but he was here he was doing it. Had books published by Penguin, RTE? Never went near him.
    You have forward pushing music artists that lived here for years, artists such as Nurse with Wound, making and playing things years ago that are totally mainstream now. Forward pushing people that know their stuff, would make it a far more interesting place.
    You have guys like Eddie Lenihan that is sought throughout the globe for his folklore stories of our country, and the only time he was ever seen the last 20 years up on RTE was a interview with Tommy Tiernan that everybody loved.

These are just a few examples. If you want more I'll give em to ya.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

John Bowman
    John Kelly
    whoever rings the Angelus bell. In 70 years, I’ve never heard them make a mistake.

Yup -that ringer definitely deserves a gong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Truthvader

There's something so hopeless, angry, and despairing about all the negativity that gets thrown towards RTÉ and its staff on sites like Boards, the Journal, and Twitter. It moves beyond valid criticism into this brain dead diatribe about the entire semi-state organisation being filled exclusively with talentless morons. It shows a real lack of critical thinking to be honest. I think the majority of it is down to some sort of innate jealousy and frustration from angry and confused men (it's always men) who project their own insecurities onto public figures. Men who would never have the ambition, talent, or initiative to become a politician, presenter, or public figure themselves.

RTÉ produce world class radio and television documentaries. Their current affairs and investigative journalism output is worthy of the television licence by itself. It has excellent presenters like Audrey Carville, Bryan Dobson, Rachel English, Sarah McInerney; Cormac O'hEadhra, Gavin Jennings and so on and so forth.

Then you have the wonderful John Creedon, the slightly hammy but entertaining (and knowing) Marty Morrissey. GAA, Horse Racing, and Football coverage is excellent, as is most of their sporting output. Then you have orchestras, journalists, producers etc.

I even happen to think Ryan Tubridy is grand. Certainly not deserving off the almost visceral hatred thrown at him online.

Yeah but in the name of all that does not suck......Joe Duffy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭boardise

jim salter wrote: »
    Talent and RTE in the same sentence?

Nope

Yup, RTE is full of overpaid mediocrities.

I would exempt John Creedon and possibly Brian Dobson.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

buried wrote: »
    They were unable to discover it for a long time Johnny. You had world renowned environmentalists and cartographers such as Tim Robinson living here for nearly 40 years, writing and discussing about the unique nature of the west of Ireland such as Connemara. Tim died this year so that won't ever be done, but he was here he was doing it. Had books published by Penguin, RTE? Never went near him.
    You have forward pushing music artists that lived here for years, artists such as Nurse with Wound, making and playing things years ago that are totally mainstream now. Forward pushing people that know their stuff, would make it a far more interesting place.
    You have guys like Eddie Lenihan that is sought throughout the globe for his folklore stories of our country, and the only time he was ever seen the last 20 years up on RTE was a interview with Tommy Tiernan that everybody loved.

These are just a few examples. If you want more I'll give em to ya.

RTE sees itself as a 'European stage broadcaster', all the above is just local muck that producers wouldn't touch... Its TG4 that shows the way on this, great station imagine what they could do if RTE wasn't looking over their shoulder or if TG4 was the national broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

Good aul RTE, an incestuous love-in where political connections are rewarded handsomely. Ryan Tubridy and Miriam O'Callaghan two stalwarts in that regard. Seldom is natural talent or hard graft acknowledged, passed over for blood or monetary ties. And the most vociferous defenders here have skin in the game, an aggressive exercise in spin to obfuscate dire failings of a parasitic organisation that bleeds the public purse with impunity.

At worst, Tubridy's political connections might have helped him get a foot in the door. Although it's more likely that he got the book reviewing gig at the age of twelve through his own precociousness and persistent letter writing, rather than as some kind of favour to his dead granddad. And then he worked as a runner for Gerry Ryan for a few years. Like it or not, his success is more likely the result of hard graft and determination than nepotism.

And he got his first solo broadcasting gigs because of talent - Morning Glory and The Full Irish were both really good. None of which means he should ever have been allowed to present the Late Late Show. But that's one of RTE's biggest flaws - assuming that people will be good at everything, just because they're good at one thing. Pat Kenny was a great current affairs broadcaster, so they shipped him over to light entertainment where he was crap. Same with Miriam O'Callaghan. Gerry Ryan was great on radio, so they kept creating television vehicles for him. Ray D'Arcy was good on kids' TV, so let's give him his own chat show. Etc.

There are lots of things wrong with RTE, but they do lots of good things too. Some great investigative journalism over the years. Brilliant documentaries. Great sports coverage. And then there's the Doc on One archive...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Load of twee diddley. Pluck off

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

I cannot imagine watching a massive Ireland match without George Hamilton.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

It's almost unbelievable how difficult it is to list the top 3 given it's our national broadcaster and the expensive salaries.

I can't even get to 3. I like Sarah McInerney's style and and John Creedon even though most of his shows aren't mine kind of thing.

Miriam and Ryan are really poor and Claire Byrne has become so irrating especially since she self appointed as the country's covid expert.

Given the standard is so low, there has to be more talent in the country that are clearly being blocked in terms of opportunities.

If Dee Forbes really wanted to turn the station around, she'd get rid of 3 or 4 of the highest paid and take a chance on 10/12 cheaper, fresher, and likely to be more talented I individuals. Even if only a handful of them were a success, it would make a significant difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭Silly Gilly

The radio forum on here is a prime example of this. Stuffed to the gills with masochistic losers who subject themselves to daily listening of programmes they dislike in order to complain about them on the internet. Strange bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

The radio forum on here is a prime example of this. Stuffed to the gills with masochistic losers who subject themselves to daily listening of programmes reading of threads they dislike in order to complain about them on the internet. Strange bunch.

FYP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Iodine1

Many in RTE actually started in pirate or independent stations and they compete to get into RTE.
    top mine:
    1. John Creedon
    2. Gavin Jennings
    3. Rachel English
    Worst:
    Marty Morrissey too narrow thinks the whole country revolves around some local gaa.
    2. Turbridy too inane always looking for a sob story.
    3 . D'Arcy, always looking for a depressing ill sob story, who must be gay.

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Salmon Leap

John Creedon
    Dave Fanning
    Miriam O’Callaghan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

The radio forum on here is a prime example of this. Stuffed to the gills with masochistic losers who subject themselves to daily listening of programmes they dislike in order to complain about them on the internet. Strange bunch.

It's relentlessly negative and repetitive, populated mainly by men who wake up angry and get angrier as the day progresses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭chicorytip

Good broadcasters are born not made. A good journalist or meteorologist will not necessarily be comfortable behind the mic or in front of the camera. Vincent Browne and Evelyn Cusack are examples of this.
    In RTE, currently, George Hamilton is a naturally talented broadcaster but nearing the end of his career. He is the only one that stands out. Of those retired or deceased Gay Byrne was a natural, Andy O'Mahony and John Bowman both excelled in their particular spheres, Mike Murphy was good in light entertainment, Brendan Balfe a superb DJ. Don Cockburn and Emer O'Kelly were both first class newscaster.
    The present lot of news and current affairs presenters are absolutely terrible - terrible broadcasters, that is, as distinct from journalists. Sharon Ni Bheolain in particular. That dreadful croaky voice!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,351 ✭✭✭jprboy

I cannot imagine watching a massive Ireland match without George Hamilton.

"A nation holds..... "

"Oh, danger here...…"

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

6.01 News

Sharon Tobin
    Ray Kennedy
    Vivienne Traynor

Very good team at the moment.

I can take or leave Catriona Perry (I suppose that makes me a white middle aged woman hater)

Keelin Shanley was excellent. Cut short too soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

I don't really understand that to be honest. Like it's extremely valid to say you don't like the presenter, or a piece that was aired. That's criticism.

Actually listening to a show you hate; presented by someone you despise, just so you can complain about it on the internet? And doing that every day?

There's something off there. It's not like we only have two stations any more. You could use that time to listen to a podcast, take some exercise, tidy the house, meditate etc etc.

Like I don't like Piers Morgan. So I certainly wouldn't subject myself to watching his breakfast show just so I could complain about it. Why would I do that?

Bizarre I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,805 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Very very low on talent as they have all retired in the last 5/10 years / rip.

The people on the biggest money - could all (I mean all) - be let go.

Last 5 years -
    1) Brian Dobson - who was the first to be pushed by the female direction.
    2) Sean O'Rourke - incredible broadcaster - got the big show too late.
    2) Marian Finucane - no matter what, an credible broadcaster
    3) Claire Byrne - lacks a little bit of Irish personality - but an outstanding pro.
    4) Mary Kennedy - everything was so easy , but was easy stuff - incredibly comfortable

Now
    1) Rachel English as good as it gets at present
    2) Brendan O'Connor has done well - but from Cork.

Special Mention;

Gay
    Gerry
    Dave
    Cathal Mac Coille
    Aine Lawlor
    Pat - took the big private wrong soup. Sad.

I'm sorry to say, the current batch is horrendous.

I don't want to name shows - but they are a joke, completely talent-less. And , this relentless need for every voice to be female , is killing radio.

Rather than give a female the job - what is wrong with Wexford/ Monaghan /Galway / Donegal - Regionalise it based on talent as opposed to sex.

We have basically got to a point you can not listen to RTE from 0900 hrs to 2200 hrs. Unreal - considering you could listen to it all day from 0700 hrs to 0200 hrs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭mistersifter

At worst, Tubridy's political connections might have helped him get a foot in the door. Although it's more likely that he got the book reviewing gig at the age of twelve through his own precociousness and persistent letter writing, rather than as some kind of favour to his dead granddad. And then he worked as a runner for Gerry Ryan for a few years. Like it or not, his success is more likely the result of hard graft and determination than nepotism...

nonsense. The connections go deeper than his grandad. Half his family are Fianna Fail politicians and very well connected people.

Kids dont get runner gigs with RTE because they write letters. Absolute nonsense that Tubridy got his gig through letter writing.

Do you think some kid from the arsehole of Leitrim would get the same chance as Mr D4 if they wrote a few letters into RTE?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,824 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

1. Dinner lady.
    2. Cleaner.
    3. Lad that mows the grounds.

Advertisement