Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB to start charging 1c per contactless payment and additional charges.

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭_Godot_

Just switch to ebs, it's free and has contactless. No app but I use revolut with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,720 ✭✭✭lertsnim

beauf wrote: »
    Yes but withdraw enough for the period. Its only once.

No way am I walking around with a few hundred in my wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Dr. Colossus

Yes but withdraw enough for the period. Its only once.

That increases the chance of losing your money or theft,though. Banks won't refund cash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Looking around it looks like a choice between EBS and Ulster. PTSB have some mortgage-related perks but they are irrelevant to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭AlphabetCards

Raconteuse wrote: »
    It's not that I'm for or against them - it's just that they're doing what any business does: charging for a service.

Lol, imagine being so sucked into modern life that you are happy for banks to keep your money, make profit from investing your money, pay you paltry interest (if any) and then excuse them for charging you to withdraw that same cash.

I bet you love paying tax!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Cash was King, is King, and forever will be King.

"contactless" me hole. Watch charges grow exponentially to cover "security costs". Getting charged money for using your own money...but I suppose it's hip, there is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,213 ✭✭✭PrettyBoy

beejee wrote: »
    Watch charges grow exponentially to cover "security costs". Getting charged money for using your own money...but I suppose it's hip, there is that.

If you have any of your money in a bank then you're getting charged for using it. I suppose you keep all yours in cash hidden in a sock at the bottom of your wardrobe? Cash leaves you more vulnerable to theft and loss. It's handy if you're taking it to get around paying tax liabilities, but other than that it offers little to no benefit over card payments. Despite the introduction of a the €0.01 transaction charge, contactless is still by the far the most cost effective and convenient way of paying for things if you're with AIB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

PrettyBoy wrote: »
    If you have any of your money in a bank then you're getting charged for using it. I suppose you keep all yours in cash hidden in a sock at the bottom of your wardrobe? Cash leaves you more vulnerable to theft and loss. It's handy if you're taking it to get around paying tax liabilities, but other than that it offers little to no benefit over card payments. Despite the introduction of a the €0.01 transaction charge, contactless is still by the far the most cost effective and convenient way of paying for things if you're with AIB.

Cash versus cards. Beyond large transactions, using cards for daily/regular purchases is chump town.

No, I don't get charged money for spending money. Ludicrous.

If you dwelt upon the concept for more than a minute, you'd realise how mad it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Vic_08

PommieBast wrote: »
    Looking around it looks like a choice between EBS and Ulster. PTSB have some mortgage-related perks but they are irrelevant to me.

Ulcer have fees, both monthly and service charges, Their accounts for those north of the border are free of course as are BOI and AIBs NI banks. You don't even have to lodge a minimum amount in NI, banking is free if the account is £0.01 in credit.

It is blatant how much Irish customers are getting shafted by these banks

The only free banking here, if you meet certain conditions are EBS, KBC or online offerings from EU/UK such as N26, revolut, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Ronaldinho

These charges look like they apply to debit cards only.

Can avoid them by tapping credit card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,580 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

lertsnim wrote: »
    No way am I walking around with a few hundred in my wallet.

Lost €400 out of my pocket in Lisbon two years ago.
    I split my money into several pockets so I wouldn’t get done by a pickpocket.
    Was feckin raging.
    Card from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

somebody at the AIB was watching Superman!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

Banks shouldn't be private companies at all, they're too integral to the very foundation of how the financial and economic system operates. Handing over such immense power over society to for-profit entities instead of having them simply be a branch of the public service was one of the biggest mistakes society ever made.

For-profit banking and usury are two archaic relics of human stupidity and the sooner they're abolished, the better.

Can you imagine the $hit$storm we would face on a regular basis if banks were run by the public sector? Would make the HSE look like the leanest, most efficient org in the world. The problem with banks today is that they are run in a similar fashion to public/civil service - basically a civil-service-lite.

By usury, are you referring to the old-testament definition (charging interest) or modern definition (charging extortionate interest). If the old-testament definition, then you really don't understand how money works. If the modern definition, banks are the best defence against usury.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,726 ✭✭✭Greyfox

beejee wrote: »
    Cash versus cards. Beyond large transactions, using cards for daily/regular purchases is chump town.

I use to agree but the beauty of contactless is not having to carry coins as coins are a pain in the hole

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

dotsman wrote: »
    Can you imagine the $hit$storm we would face on a regular basis if banks were run by the public sector? Would make the HSE look like the leanest, most efficient org in the world. The problem with banks today is that they are run in a similar fashion to public/civil service - basically a civil-service-lite.

By usury, are you referring to the old-testament definition (charging interest) or modern definition (charging extortionate interest). If the old-testament definition, then you really don't understand how money works. If the modern definition, banks are the best defence against usury.

How about if revenue took it over?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Only problem with cash is the current pandemic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭dotsman

How about if revenue took it over?

The same revenue who require me to file my taxes by printing off a form, filling it in by pen and posting it to them?

TBH, it doesn't matter who takes them over. They would end up getting run by a combination of the unions and the huge layer of bureaucratic, political senior and middle management, along with TD interference (get rejected for a loan - raise it with your TD! Branch closing down because too few people use it - raise it with your TD! etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,034 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Greyfox wrote: »
    I use to agree but the beauty of contactless is not having to carry coins as coins are a pain in the hole
    I keep my coins in my pocket - much more comfortable.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭PommieBast

Vic_08 wrote: »
    Ulcer have fees, both monthly and service charges
    Ulster waives most fees if account is over €3k - that's enough for me to at least consider them.

The only free banking here, if you meet certain conditions are EBS, KBC or online offerings from EU/UK such as N26, revolut, etc.
    Do the online only ones allow transfers of more than €5k in a single transaction?

I’ve thought about switching so many times. Then they send me the forms and I just can’t face it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Advertisement