Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

RIP Marie Fredriksson Roxette

• 11-12-2019 12:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭

For posters of a certain age:

RIP Marie, passed away at 61 following 17 years battling cancer.

Roxette were best known for "It must have been love" but many other huge songs. She was an amazing singer.

Always jealous of her figure, her hair and her fantastic voice.

RIP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭patob

anewme wrote: »
    For posters of a certain age:

RIP Marie, passed away at 61 following 17 years battling cancer.

Roxette were best known for "It must have been love" but many other huge songs. She was an amazing singer.

Always jealous of her figure, her hair and her fantastic voice.

RIP.

Remember them well. One of Swedens biggest ever pop bands. Big in the early days of MTV in 80s. She had a great voice with some big power ballads. RIP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

It must have been Hove, but it's Dover now

A headline I've always wanted to write about a South Coast FA cup derby with Brighton in the lead but then sealed by a last minute goal by Dover

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭greencap

It must have been Hove, but it's Dover now

A headline I've always wanted to write about a South Coast FA cup derby with Brighton in the lead but then sealed by a last minute goal by Dover

Idea for mid morning television sports based quiz show hosted by jet from gladiators...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,479 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

greencap wrote: »
    Idea for mid morning television sports based quiz show hosted by jet from gladiators...

Alan Partridge lives

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭Baseball72

Went onto You Tube to play some of their hits - some great sounds. Relatively young age of 61 (?). Sad also to read of the passing Paul Anthony McDermot - 47. Always enjoyed his contributions on radio - explained in plain English a complex legal issue.
    And final Jim Smith - a true gent of football - fond memories of meeting him once. At 79, not so unexpected but still....

Let's make every day count - "forget about the small stuff - and it's all small stuff " as someone once wrote.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭monkeysnapper

Always brings back happy memorys of my sister playing her roxette CDs in her room growing up ...

Fair play to her for her courage...she had a brain tumour in 2002 .. that alone should give people hope what's achievable ....brave lady... I read she couldn't even talk after her operation and was blind on one side ...and she came back to do more tours ....

RIP and thanks for the memorys growing up ... my sister loved ur music

I loved your courage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,782 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

She won't be turning on the red light tonight...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

RIP

Roxette were awful MOR euro-pop sh1te. Shifted quite a few records mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭Bishop of hope

Yes, Rip, my wife still plays their greatest hits in the car stereo, also Abba.
    She had a great voice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Yamanoto wrote: »
    RIP

Fixed that for you...

Have a bit of respect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

Keyzer wrote: »
    Fixed that for you...

Have a bit of respect.
    Yeah I don't see the point of such a post. Why post at all.

I love me an auld power ballad/anthem and Roxette had them in spades! She's Got The Look always makes me feel nostalgic for my childhood too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Yeah give the girl her dues.

And indeed the power ballad... empowered by rock; when what may have been the most unassuming housewife seemed to captivate and command - whilst holding great gravitas, in their hair which seemed to be propped up by the very electricity which enveloped them.

As a molten emotion coursed thru their veins. I’m not even talking about bonnie tyler but that stuff still sounds timeless and will always stick as the definition of your classic hit. Without which niall boylan wouldn’t have a platform, so come on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,305 ✭✭✭✭branie2

She was a brilliant singer

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

Very sad news to hear and especially for Marie's family so close to Christmas. I'v always loved Roxette. Years ago when my best friend and I were about 12 my friend was living in Monaghan and she bought Roxette's album taped it onto a blank cassette and posted it to me. I used to buy albums like Tiffanys and Debbie Gibson and tape them and post them to her too. So funny to think of doing that now. I ended up buying all Roxettes albums and I have been a life long fan. May Marie Rest In Peace.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,899 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

RIP Marie.

She had a superb voice that was perfect for the power ballad, and Roxette, whilst not quite my favourite band, made brilliant, memorable and quality pop music at a time when pop music in general was awful and their tunes form part of the soundtrack to my teenage years.

Roxette showed that ABBA were not just a one-off in terms of Swedish bands finding international fame and formed a bridge between the former and later Swedish groups such as The Cardigans.

If you compare Roxette to so-called pop bands of today, there really is no comparison...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I'm shocked to learn they were a Swedish band. I would have sworn they were pure American.

Advertisement