Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How many times did it take you to pass your driving test?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

3 for the car.
    1st time completely not up to it.
    2nd time a car pulled straight across a lane nearly causing a crash. Completely their fault but it completely knocked me. Also only back home after a few years in America and I had to be careful turning on to roads that I didn't turn on the right hand side !
    3rd time I scraped it.
    Lorry test . 1st time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Accepting Cookies

I took it 8 years ago, I failed the first time because of 'coasting' and a couple other things adding up. I've had a license in another country for 20 years and having learned on a clutch I suppose I had certain habits that weren't going to change. Husband likes to brag he passed his test on the first go but the instructor fell asleep and woke up when my husband parked back at the centre, ha ha!

A lot of people seem to drive at their own speeds, regardless of what's posted. They're either flying over the speed limit, or they drive at their own pace well under the limit, holding up a long line of cars. Then often times you get someone who's just flipped and tries to pass in a fit of rage in a questionable part of the road. I always hold my breath and feel so stressed out. :-s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭Benicetomonty

3rd time. Nailed the hill start, still think thats what swung it for me. Coasting like crazy ever since.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 456 ✭✭Tired Gardener

Passed my Car driving test first time in Ireland, prior to that I had rode motorbikes on and off for about 10 years in the UK. I honestly think that helped me pass first time as the roads over here are a doddle compared to other there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭Accepting Cookies

Oh, and mobile phones usage while driving is an absolute epidemic. Had to wait forever to leave the shop yesterday while an older lady did a 6 point reverse and turn out of her parking spot because she only had one free hand to use, the other one holding up the phone to her face. :mad:

I never drive ANYWHERE without seeing at least a handful of people on phones while driving, even texting. Cars, lorries, tractors, they all do it. I'd argue most people just put on a show while doing driving test, then drive in real life in a complete opposite manner. The only road rule enforcement I've ever seen is the odd speed van, which people spot way off or know where they tend to be so never get caught out.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Colliewollie

Passed it the first time at the age of 17. My instructor told me I wouldn't pass and that I needed more lessons (maybe looking for more money)!

Born and raised on a farm and my uncle taught me to drive and operate different types of machinery so I had confidence before the test.

Still learning as I get older, including driving here in Spain.. Some of the driving here is absolutely ridiculous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Eggs For Dinner

Passed first time in the 80's. Had been driving for a few years on a provisional licence, as was the style at the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,264 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Raconteuse wrote: »
    Six. Terrible I know.

Six here too.
    5 times failed in Raheny, got a cancellation within a very short time and passed in Finglas no problems whatsoever.

I NEVER text, or make/take calls while driving (I'm really not that important that it can't wait til a suitable place to stop). I know what the middle lane is for and know how to merge. These things alone seem to separate me from the majority of drivers. Maybe six times tested isn't a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭facehugger99

First time, a few weeks after turning 17.

I'm a genuinely excellent driver, sometime think I should have tuned professional, - but there's no enough money being a driving instructor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

Failed the first time, thought I'd passed.
    Passed the second time, thought I'd failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,807 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

I think the green marks don't count against you; they're just things to watch out for in your future driving

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Passed on the 3rd attempt

Failed twice in Dublin and on the third attempt passed in a different test center
    Closer to home

Everyday i learn something new on Irish roads tho !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭LeBash

Second time. The first guy was a d1ck. Did the reversing around the corner and he said keep going back until I say stop, I went back so far that I reached a second corner and I asked if I was to go around that too and he said I wasnt supposed to speak to him. I went around that corner as well which was onto a reasonably quiet main road and that's why I was failed.

Second guy was sound, he let me have the radio on low as he said it would be a bit more relaxing.I told him after about the first guy and he said that he knew who it was, heard it before and he loved to fail people when he was having a bad day himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

3, should’ve past first, second was automatic fail due to electric fault with brake lights, 3rd pass but should’ve failed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,551 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

One tip , do it in a car where the speedometer is set way in so the instructor cant see it from the side. It saved me

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,170 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

spurious wrote: »
    I NEVER text, or make/take calls while driving (I'm really not that important that it can't wait til a suitable place to stop).
    +1. And other than folks in the emergency services the vast majority of other calls are not important. TBH I switch my phone into airplane mode when I drive. For me anyway getting into the car is a respite from the "constantly available" BS we've all fallen for.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Strumms wrote: »
    First time too. 10 years ago. My instructor told me not to show up for the test as I wasn’t ready and didn’t have the required competency yet to pass. I believed he was wrong, it proved I was right.

Passed first time myself about 20 years ago. My instructor told me not to do is as i would fail which i thought was odd as i had done tons of lessons and was fairly confident driving (not cocky) he rang me that afternoon to find out how i got on and when he heard i passed there was just silence on his end, will never forget that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Car 1st time
    Truck 2 nd time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,671 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Passed it first time.

I took a lesson on the day of the test and the instructer told me I probably wouldn't pass so it was nice to knock on his door after and tell him I would no longer be needing his services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭rustynutz

It took me two attempts to pass both my motorbike test and car test when I was twenty. Twenty years later, during last summer, I passed my rigid truck test first attempt, I only dropped one point for a dodgy down shift but I blame that on the spitter gearbox.

I think I was over confident in my driving skills when I was twenty, whereas with the benefit of experience for my truck test, I took 5 lessons before hand and took it seriously and passed first time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Passed 1st time. FWIW, had US license for decades. Took about a year of really hard practice to learn to drive on the LHS. Did get 6 faults but 8 is the cut off. Mrs. passed as well with fewer faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

3 tests in two weeks, passed the 3rd one, in a van with no tax, heady days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,039 ✭✭✭✭retro:electro

I passed the first time, much to my surprise and to the surprise of my driving teacher. I had a lesson on the morning of my test and as she exited the car she said “Good luck, but I’ll be seeing you next week”. Such words of encouragement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Second time round, i should have failed the second time, failed the first time for "observation"

You need to do your best impression of the girl in the Exorcist while passing any side roads in order to avoid the tester using that hoary old excuse

I was great the first time, awful the second time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,046 ✭✭✭✭cena

First-time pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 davedonie

1. But I shouldn’t have passed.

Me too! I was approaching a red light getting ready to stop, it went green so I obviously decided to stay going, it went red just as I got to it so I ended up stopping in the junction and reversing back to the white line 🀣

The things you do when you're a ball of nerves ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Car first time @ 18
    Bike first time @ 30

Begrudgary is alive and well in Ireland.

I passed my HGV test when I was still in my mother's uterus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Raconteuse

I don't mind someone sitting in a traffic jam sending a quick text to say they'll be late (even though the law doesn't agree) but texting/talking on the phone while actually moving the vehicle? :eek: That's frightening!

But well done to all who passed first time! :)

Swots :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Twice...failed first time, passed second time. Nearly 20 years ago now.

I actually think everyone should have to re-sit their driving test every decade. There are so many bad drivers on the roads you wonder how they could possibly have passed.

To be fair, a lot of bad driving is just down to people being arseholes. They'd just do what it takes to pass the test and then go merrily back to speeding, tailgating, terrible lane discipline etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,687 ✭✭✭Signore Fancy Pants

13 or so tests for driving different things, passed all first time.

Im sure I didnt gett a clean sheet in any of them but theres a lot of discretion with the instructor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Pointless thread only the first time passes contributing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Allinall

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Pointless thread only the first time passes contributing.

Passed first go at 17.

To be fair, a lot of bad driving is just down to people being arseholes. They'd just do what it takes to pass the test and then go merrily back to speeding, tailgating, terrible lane discipline etc
    Shur one time I saw a young lad triumphantly heading over to his car having passed, hopping in and bombing away (complete with screeching sound) as if he was in an F1 event.

And even the rest of us who are considerate drivers - we wouldn't be doing the exaggerated head movements under normal circumstances either (like the kid in The Exorcist as someone said earlier) even though we would obviously be checking our mirrors and blind spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Allinall wrote: »
    Passed first go at 17.
    Get out of here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Lu Tze

Passed first time. Very early in the test I overtook a tractor that was within the town limits and thought that might have failed me, and was weirdly relaxed for the rest of the test based on that conclusion!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I’m a man so I passed first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭coldfire1x

Passed first time, one more fault and I would have failed. So kind of lucky.

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Get out of here
    My friend and her siblings did. Their parents had them practising from when they were nippers.

I think it's generally a country thing - loads of land to practise on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭passatman86

Second time
    Failed for not looking left enough first time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Second time here.

I dated a girl before who passed it first time, I have no idea how she did, bar obvious:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭The One Doctor

Fifth time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,597 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Never passed the test. Got the free one in the post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Second time round, i should have failed the second time, failed the first time for "observation"

You need to do your best impression of the girl in the Exorcist while passing any side roads in order to avoid the tester using that hoary old excuse

I was great the first time, awful the second time

Bit like you. I felt I did far better first time then second time. I was more nervous 2nd time I thought too

I think it’s lot of hit and miss and they do have a quota to fail drivers too that they depend on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

Passed first time.

That said, the driving test is a woefully inadequate assessment. Most people get a licence by driving around for 20-30 minutes in the middle of the day at speeds rarely exceeding 50 km/h. It doesn't test night driving (most road fatalities occur at night), motorway driving, driving in adverse conditions, you name it.

Passing the test doesn't mean you're a great driver, or even a good one. An advanced driving course is a good way to improve your skills.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

7! I lost count, the bad habits crept in after the first and then I just kept failing. I never got too down about it although my mates still lap it up (ten years later). Anytime I'm rooting around my room for something I'll find one of those correction sheets. Eventually a regional inspector from head office came to do it with me and she passed me.

Lu Tze wrote: »
    Passed first time. Very early in the test I overtook a tractor that was within the town limits and thought that might have failed me, and was weirdly relaxed for the rest of the test based on that conclusion!

You have been failed if you hadn’t overtaken that tractor. Failure to “make progress” is one of the more common reasons for failing-I knee somebody who failed 4 times in account of that alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

First time for me.

Actually i can't believe i passed it. I lightly tapped the kerb during the u turn.

During the theory bit, she asked me about a single white line, when could u cross it. I said never, but then i went into a ramble about crashed tractors and house access and she was just looking at me like i had horns on my head. Eventually i just said u can't cross it. Lol.

Most of the manoeuvres went smooth.enough for me. I practiced for a few weeks, where i would go into town during the same hour as ye hour of the test.

Anyway i got through it. At the end she told me not to be a boy racer. Lol. And i was wearing a shirt and trousers. Wonder what gave off the boy racer vibe. Haha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I've a 0% failure rate.

(I've never done the driving test.)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I was driving 18 months when I passed my test first time. It was a roasting hot summers day in June 19 years ago. During the test the tester told me all the usual places they ask people to do a 3 point turn in were already being used so he told me i could do mine behind a row of houses in an estate. I had to do my turn in a narrow pathway that also had wheelie bins outside peoples backdoors and my car didnt even have power steering. I was so happy when he told me id done it well. Got back to the test center and was delighted to get my cert. When i came out of the test center the bread men delivering to the shop next door saw my cert in my hand and shouted congratulations to me. I was so happy I passed it was a huge weight off my mind.

• Advertisement
Advertisement