Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Donegal closer to Glasgow than Dublin?

Options
  • 04-01-2018 1:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭

It seems sometimes that Donegal is quasi-Scottish in a sense, in one of my last jobs loads of customers calling me from there had Scottish accents albeit Irish names, I got the impression that loads of people from the west of Scotland with Donegal roots settle there, just about every Glaswegian Celtic fan whom I've met at work or pubs seems to have a connection with the place. I believe it's traceable back to emigration on ships that used to go from Derry to Glasgow.

I don't think there's much of a relationship with Belfast either although one would think it'd be more logical distance wise. Any Uladh folk know more about this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

A lot of Donegal people ended up there, like you said the boat from Derry. Supposedly in my mothers day the fare was two pounds. Then you go to Malin and on a clear night you can see the head lights from cars across the water in Scotland.
    The links run deep; there's a chance the UiNiall dynasty has it's roots in Scotland, then the Gallowglasses and Redshanks and the plantation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

Nah. Most Irish in the States are from the West, doesn't mean they are closer to Boston or something than Dublin. Loads of Donegal people in Dublin.

As you were, 21S x

• Registered Users Posts: 11,728 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

225 kilometres to Dublin.
    370 kilometres to Glasgow.

Just in case anyone was wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

21Savage wrote: »
    Nah. Most Irish in the States are from the West, doesn't mean they are closer to Boston or something than Dublin. Loads of Donegal people in Dublin.

As you were, 21S x

Is this "As you were" signature a Liam Gallagher thing? And if it is, why are you doing it? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

There would always have been shipping connections. Much the same as Sligo.

Back in the day whenever there was tunneling or deep excavation for roads there were always Donegal Men.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,630 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Well the Brits did claim it last year

Channel%204%20border.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,117 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Picking spuds

Where is the Backwards fella when you need him?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 76 ✭✭Shedbebreezy

No. I'm from Donegal. Some people went to work in Scotland years ago. I only know a handful of Scottish people and they moved to donegal on the account that their parents are from here, mostly middle aged to older. It was a thing 40 50 years ago to move there for work, not anymore so it's dying out. I know more people from Dublin living here than Scotland, does that make us quasi-Dublin? Thought not

And it isn't that donegal is like Scotland, it's some of those Scottish people with Irish parents wanting to live here in Donegal. Donegal is Ireland, nothing like Scotland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

Well the Brits did claim it last year

Channel%204%20border.jpg

Some... Like half the Irish questioned could not draw the NI/UK border. Some people in Ireland thought Wales was Cumbria/Northumberland!

Anyway, We tracked our family back to Donegal (1880's), moved to Tyrone then to the East of Scotland in the 1920's.

What I have noticed is that Protestant folks (like my mums side of the family) settled on the east of Scotland and the Catholic settled on the west.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

It's 35 miles from Donegal to Scotland.

It's just under 105 miles from Donegal to Dublin.

It's just over 113 miles from Donegal to Glasgow.

• Advertisement
Advertisement