Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Talented Irish People Who Deserve More Respect

• 09-11-2017 7:36pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2 theclovenson

Brendan Grace. Consistently funny since the 1970s. An excellent singing voice and who will forget his role on Fr Ted.

We don't love him enough, but considering the tsunami of lame Irish 'comedy' in the dacades since, we should.

anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Brendan Grace. Consistently funny since the 1970s.
    Well, his jokes have been consistent since the 70s, aye...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,596 ✭✭✭Hitman3000

We don't love him enough, but considering the tsunami of lame Irish 'comedy' in the dacades since, we should.

It would be nice if he updated his material, I'm 45 even his 'new stuff' is old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

He was great in Father Ted, but if people don't "love him enough" it's because he's been telling the same old jokes for over forty years.

Mike Murphy is someone who doesn't seem to get the recognition he deserves. He was easily as good as Wogan, and should probably have got the Late Late gig when Gay Byrne retired.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,653 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Ronan Keating!

Classic lyrics like

You shay it besht when you shay nothing at alllllll

Is there a more romantic way to tell your girlfriend to shut the fcuk up?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Eamonn dunphy....imagine what he couldve achieved if he hadn't spend the last 20 years locked

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

There are many talented people in Ireland who have been performing, writing, creating for years.. and who remain 'undiscovered'.. I know a good few of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Jonathan Rea, triple world champion and never a mention in the press

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonathan_Rea

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭ngunners

There are many talented people in Ireland who have been performing, writing, creating for years.. and who remain 'undiscovered'.. I know a good few of them.

Care to share who they are? Might help them get discovered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Summer wind

Finbar Furey. Always loved his voice. Fantastic writer too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I don't know his name but that Irish impressionist on Facebook is the best I've ever heard. You see a lot of impressionists who just cycle through the same four or five impressions but he has an abundance of truly outstanding ones in his arsenal. Even still, he gets a lot of stick, but I'd be hugely surprised if he didn't go on to really big things somewhere down the line.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 492 ✭✭Gerrup Outta Dat!

Brendan Grace. Consistently funny since the 1970s. An excellent singing voice and who will forget his role on Fr Ted.

anyone else?

Michael O’Leary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

ngunners wrote: »
    Care to share who they are? Might help them get discovered.

Nah, then they'll have gone mainstream and sold out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

Mick Flannery good singer songwriter. Lorcan reidy and Susan o Neill very good musicians in Waterford .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,647 ✭✭✭lazybones32

Larry gogan. No outstanding talent, just a very pleasant and entertaining presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭...And Justice

Ronan Keating!

Classic lyrics like

You shay it besht when you shay nothing at alllllll

Is there a more romantic way to tell your girlfriend to shut the fcuk up?

Nope, he's a nob jockey, I can't believe people wanted him to run for president at one stage? Jesus Christ!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Conor McGregor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,295 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Jake Stevens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Because the OP mentioned him. Brendan Grace - Legend. Deserves tonnes of respect. May be repeating an old act these days, but remains an under rated guy. I have met people from timbuktu to tipperary who find this hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

Paul Brady, the handball player from Cavan made it on to the 15 greatest athletes of all time list compiled by ESPN.

http://theskinny365.com/2016/02/17/15-greatest-athletes-of-all-time/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

Hammer89 wrote: »
    I don't know his name but that Irish impressionist on Facebook is the best I've ever heard. You see a lot of impressionists who just cycle through the same four or five impressions but he has an abundance of truly outstanding ones in his arsenal. Even still, he gets a lot of stick, but I'd be hugely surprised if he didn't go on to really big things somewhere down the line.
    Anyone know who the poster is refereeing to?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,214 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Paul McGrath!

Seriously showing my age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

Conor's Sketches?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Oops!

yabadabado wrote: »
    Anyone know who the poster is refereeing to?
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCX6MM35YgiqOrOjPKN1HOiA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

Paul Howard - Ireland’s funniest man and a gifted writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,914 ✭✭✭glenfieldman

Del2005 wrote: »

Yes, yes and yes.
    He will never get the sportsman of the year here or cross the pond because the general public think these men are Kamikaze morons, but we know better
    Micky D too is an unsung hero

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Paul Howard - Ireland’s funniest man and a gifted writer.

Working class as curry sauce, though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,348 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Del2005 wrote: »

He's British

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Bono.
    He's a brilliant tax planner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

Bobby Sands

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Bundee Aki...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

Gay Byrne. He's kind of annoying and sanctimonious now but he was a really good, intuitive interviewer in his heyday. Not afraid to jump off-script, good instincts. I love watching old interviews of his on Youtube.

Very true. Two weeks ago a neighbour's 14-year-old child was flown over to Carnegie Hall in New York to play a concert as he is, by all accounts, an incredibly gifted cellist. He was listed as an "International Shining Star" and played with 8 other teenagers invited from around the world. 14 years of age and playing in Carnegie Hall!

Not a word in the media about it so I surmise there are similar feats going unacknowledgrd in other parts of Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hitman3000 wrote: »
    It would be nice if he updated his material, I'm 45 even his 'new stuff' is old.

Ever heard the phrase “Don’t fix what isn’t broken”. He lives in Florida 6 months a year, comes home, promotes his show on the LLS and sells out countrywide. Why change a winning formula??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,558 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭jojofizzio

washman3 wrote: »
    Bundee Aki...

“Gets popcorn”.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭_Dara_

I was going to say Graham Norton but I think his talents are well recognised. Never hear a bad word said about him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Hammer89 wrote: »
    No!

This bloke:

He is woeful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Gay Byrne's finest moment was when he left P Flynn off on his stream of conciousness and aided him with the slightest of promptings.
    Easy on the pedal.

In terms of musical talent in the Irish tradition, Martin Hayes from Clare is still extraordinary, over 20 after I first heard him. He isn't just technically fantastic; he feels his music. This is the first tune I ever heard of his. I still remember exactly where I was when I heard it.

And Iarla Ó Lionáird from Cúil Aodha, still the most refreshing and creative sound where trad and world music meet.

And then there's these UCD students - if this doesn't rouse you, nothing will:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Can we make Chris Hadfield an honorary citizen and put him in here?

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/astronaut-chris-hadfield-returns-to-ireland-813473.html

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭miss flutter ups

Sinead O'Connor, She's had her problems but what a voice !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Los Lobos

Aidan Walsh, the Master of the Universe, an absolute legend of the 90's

Community games what a tune

Sinead O'Connor, She's had her problems but what a voice !

What a face too. I know that doesn't really add anything to her talent, but I stumbled across old pictures of her recently and couldn't believe how beautiful she was, especially without hair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Stephen Farrelly and Rebecca Quin.

They entertain millions of viewers in the states weekly and yet are probably only known to a tiny percentage of the Irish population.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Bono.

*runs away*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Graham Linehan, writer of three TV shows that are in my top ten comedies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

El presidente Michael D. A cool cat if there ever was one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

El presidente Michael D. A cool cat if there ever was one.

He belongs at the end of a rainbow with a pot of gold

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

My mother loved Brendan Grace. When I was about eight or nine I went with her to see one of his shows. He was doing a routine in which he's a drunk trying and failing to light a cigarette. Some weirdo came out of the audience, got on stage and 'helpfully' lit his cigarette for him even though Brendan Grace kept gesturing at him to sit back down. He seemed to genuinely believe that Brendan Grace was having trouble lighting his cigarette and didn't think it was part of a comedy act. I always wondered about this man and what was going on in his head.

• Advertisement
Advertisement