Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House of Fraser Dundrum - nowhere to return items I bought last week

Options
  • 06-07-2020 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi All

Over the last few weeks House of Fraser in Dundrum had a massive closing down sale. I went last Monday and I bought a few dresses. At the till, I asked can I return them and get a refund if they don't fit etc.

The person at the till told me that they expect the Dundrum store to close by end of July so as long as I returned them by then, I should be ok to get refund.

I went there this morning to return dresses, however a staff member to me that the Dundrum store is closed for good and they are not processing any refunds. When I asked who do I go to - she said I could try Sports Direct but she wouldn't hold out any hope. Apparently the staff in Dundrum had little or no notice that the store was closing before the end of July

My question is: Has anyone else experienced similar with House of Fraser? Any advice on getting a refund or is it a case of I need to just forget about it?

Thanks again
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Was the store open or closed?
    however a staff member to me that the Dundrum store is closed for good and they are not processing any refunds.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭doireann08

Was the store open or closed?

The store was closed today. The staff member turned away a number of people who needed to return items. We were queuing to get in. The staff member was passing by and opened the shutters to get in. Store was closed to the public

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Connavar

We were told when we bought some items on the 21st that we had until the 28th if we wanted to return them there.
    They did mention that the sports direct in the city center might be able to take the returns too but was also for a limited time as far as I remember. (Im assuming same owner or something)
    Might be worth giving them a call

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

doireann08 wrote: »
    Hi All

Over the last few weeks House of Fraser in Dundrum had a massive closing down sale. I went last Monday and I bought a few dresses. At the till, I asked can I return them and get a refund if they don't fit etc.

The person at the till told me that they expect the Dundrum store to close by end of July so as long as I returned them by then, I should be ok to get refund.

I went there this morning to return dresses, however a staff member to me that the Dundrum store is closed for good and they are not processing any refunds. When I asked who do I go to - she said I could try Sports Direct but she wouldn't hold out any hope. Apparently the staff in Dundrum had little or no notice that the store was closing before the end of July

My question is: Has anyone else experienced similar with House of Fraser? Any advice on getting a refund or is it a case of I need to just forget about it?

Thanks again
    D

Since you are essentially looking for a change of mind and the store is shut I can't see what you can do.

If the items where faulty you could possible chase the other stores in the group, though most of these are setup as seperate companies so have no link to HoF apart from being owned by the same group, or if you paid by credit/debit card try for a charge back but since shops don't have to refund change of mind you are out of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

Del2005 wrote: »
    Since you are essentially looking for a change of mind and the store is shut I can't see what you can do.

If the items where faulty you could possible chase the other stores in the group, though most of these are setup as seperate companies so have no link to HoF apart from being owned by the same group, or if you paid by credit/debit card try for a charge back but since shops don't have to refund change of mind you are out of luck.

Incorrect in current situation as the store possibly was unable to provide changing facilities to try the items.

Also the stores own policies come into the equation as they are greater than the legal minimum and form part of the sales contract.

Unfortunately, hof dundrum is a stand alone subsidiary of Fraser group, so other subsidiaries would not be responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭ArthurG

Honestly, buying goods from a bankrupt retailer while they're doing a fire sale to clear inventory..... I'd say it was a gamble and you lost out

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭C3PO

I was in H of F last Wednesday and they quite clearly told me that they were closing on Friday and there would be no returns after that!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

ArthurG wrote: »
    Honestly, buying goods from a bankrupt retailer while they're doing a fire sale to clear inventory..... I'd say it was a gamble and you lost out

They weren't bankrupt. It is owned by Fraser group plc, same company as sports direct.

Under the terms of their UK administration process where Fraser group took them over, they had up to two years to decide whether to stay or go from locations.

Advertisement