Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Japanese city bans 'texting while walking'

• 04-07-2020 12:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭

Yes!, it's time...

https://www.rt.com/news/492909-smartphone-walking-ban-yamato/

'Smartphone zombies' BANNED from texting while walking in Japanese city

Should be introduced in Ireland in my opinion.

What say you?
    Last year, the city of Ilsan in South Korea had to install laser beams and flickering lights at pedestrian road crossings to warn people to look up and be aware that they are about to cross a road. A number of German cities have installed ground-level traffic lights in the pavement to alert people to upcoming roads, and and the Chinese city of Wenzhou introduced a small fine for those who text while crossing roads.

Zombies.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,921 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭Class MayDresser

Let em walk. No loss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched people staring at their phones with ear plugs in,step out onto the road.Totally oblivious to traffic.Would be nice if it was implemented here but how would it be enforced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,906 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

I couldn't tell you how many times I've watched people staring at their phones with ear plugs in,step out onto the road.Totally oblivious to traffic.Would be nice if it was implemented here but how would it be enforced?

Same thing walking on the foot paths and you're the one who gets the dirty looks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,457 ✭✭✭✭Kylta

I'¢¢m undecided over this issue. The downside I absolutely detest the fu¢kers who are so engrossed in their sh!tty little texting world they don't care who they bump into when their walking.
    The upside I saw a guy yesterday so engrossed in his phone texting he actually walked into a pole. I actually pissed myself laughing that much I had to get of my bike
    So im undecided on this issue because I hate the downside but absolutely love the upside

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

It's become a bit of a joke now. I hate texting and walking so personally it wouldn't bother me if the ban was implemented here. If I'm out and about and have my earphones in, it's always been a habit of mine to take one earbud out if I'm at the lights, in the shops etc. Don't get me wrong if I receive a text when I'm out, a quick look at my screen see who it is and then I'll put it back in my pocket and reply back later (or when I'm sat down somewhere) but this head glued to the phone while walking absolutely baffles me. Especially when I see someone walking towards me and make no effort to even look up at their surroundings. I'll move out of the way but common cursisity has gone out the window now. Maybe it's because I've heard of people getting their phones swiped from their hands as they are walking and I've just drilled it into my head to leave my phone in my pocket until I get home. If I get a call, it's usually me saying I'll ring them back when I get home if it isn't an emergency. Another thing is, having a full blown conversation while walking or in a shop, or bus stop. What is that about? That goes with texting and walking. Would it be easier to sit at home on the couch with tea (or whatever it is you want to drink) and have your conversation in the comfort of your home and not have everyone knowing your business? This happened to be on the 17A a few months ago. Travelling home from work and this lady, whips out her phone to ring Margaret about John down the road who's wife had passed away and had taken to the drink and it was an awful shame because John was never a drinker before and if his wife seen him now she would die all over again..... I was like this woman has to be joking. The whole bus heared her and she didn't give a fiddlers and ended her conversation by saying she'll ring Margaret back after Corrination Street.

The same goes to texting and driving. It's banned here but Ive seen it so many times and that's another thing that baffles me. What's so important that you have to text and have one hand on the steering wheel and not look at what you're doing. If it's an emergency then obviously pull in and take the call or text but I'm sure the other person can wait for a responce.

It all goes hand in hand, people can't be apart from their phones. It's strange if you don't have a phone whereas before, if you had a phone, you were the bee's knees. I totally agree with the Zombie phone nation. Social skills have gone out the window. No one knows how to just leave their phones alone. How people don't have neck problems by now is beyond me?

.... I say this as I type on my phone whilst drinking tea. Maybe a bit of a hypocrite here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Risingshadoo

Is kermit de frog banned? Hahaha.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Ah sh*te it's a pi$$ take post isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭up for anything

Great idea. Lets put more rules and regulations in place. Like this island isn't already a padded room. Haven't you ever had the craic tripping up some texting cnut who isn't looking at where your foot is going? Why do you want to spoil my fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 726 ✭✭✭I Am Nobody

Why was he banned?This was a legitimate post,IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Should be introduced in Ireland in my opinion.

What say you?

We can't stop people texting while driving so I would focus on that one first.

Advertisement